Water temp adaptor

JMD0346

Established Member
Im trying to install my water temp sensor in the cross-over tube. Ran into a problem though. I stripped out the square hole in the plug for the tube. Anyone have this problem? If so what did you do? Im thinking of welding a piece of 1/2" square stock to it and using a wrench but I really dont want to do that.

Any ideas?

Michael

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Yould could drill a hole in the plug and use an easy out. Checkout the thread below. He sells a replacement plug that you can use a crescent wrench on and it has what I think is a 1/8 or 1/4 pipe thread in the center. Also comes with a tool for removing the stock plug but it's basically a 1/4 drive.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160775&highlight=crossover+plug

Here's another thread that recommends the sensor go in the block, not in the crossover tube.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199015&highlight=crossover+plug

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's mild steel. You may be able to just put a magnet rod in the hole and pretty much get it all out.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
It's a bit of a pain but you may be more comfortable taking off the whole crossover tube assembly and then drill away. 4 bolts are holding it in, pulley guard will need to come off, coolant hoses of course. Should be less than an hour project

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I was helping a friend do a tear down on an 01(same plug)... same thing happened.

I used vise grips on the outer diameter of the plug... high enough to not scrape up the tube itself... It came right off...

You can get a new plug from your Ford dealer.... only it is NOT LISTED FOR OUR COBRAS!!!!

It is listed for the Mark 8 Lincolns 93/98.... same exact plug!!!!

JMD0346

Established Member
evans03c said:
It's a bit of a pain but you may be more comfortable taking off the whole crossover tube assembly and then drill away. 4 bolts are holding it in, pulley guard will need to come off, coolant hoses of course. Should be less than an hour project

Hey thanks for the idea. I though about that too!LOL! It would be a painto do but it may be the only way to do it with out too much damage.

JMD0346

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
I was helping a friend do a tear down on an 01(same plug)... same thing happened.

I used vise grips on the outer diameter of the plug... high enough to not scrape up the tube itself... It came right off...

You can get a new plug from your Ford dealer.... only it is NOT LISTED FOR OUR COBRAS!!!!

It is listed for the Mark 8 Lincolns 93/98.... same exact plug!!!!

Thanks Jimmy. I thought about this idea too. I was just affraid i would mess up the rest of the tube like you said. Imgonna give this a go today though and see what happens. If i see were its gonna make a mess Ill just do something different.

Thanks for the ideas guys. We are alll thinking the same things. I just got to pick one and go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread