Water Tank in trunk - leaks?

Silverboost

Established Member
I have a custom water tank in the trunk for the intercooler system and I can't get the damn thing to stop leaking. If I leave the pressure hole open on the lid it shoots the fluid out and if I seal it up it leaves around the lid itself.

The factory intercooler tank is still up front and prior to me installing the rear mount tank into the system I have never had this issue. FOr those of you running rear mount tanks are you noticing that the system is slightly pressurized? Does your lid have a vent on it or is your set up completely sealed?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Due to expansion from temperature rise and the cap that is used to resist boiling, pressure will typically be present. Though it is less than the pressure used on the engine side.

If your I/C pump is intermittently failing you will have stalled fluids in the intercooler turn to steam(under boost conditions) with some pretty huge expansion rates. this can push fluids out where ever it is easiest to get out.

Just an idea.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
my rear mount reservoir leaks buts its because im a douche and wont fix it correctly... What kind of cap are you using? my cap has a rubber o-ring style seal.... I doubt it would leak if I sealed the piece in correctly

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
RU using the factory IC pump along with the rear tank pump? if so Jimmy's comment seems very plausible. The threads I've read on rear tank systems, it appears many remove the factory IC tank when going this route, as to not soak unnecessary heat from the engine bay.

I'm not a physics expert...but could there be an issue with the rear tank being lower than the front tank you have in place?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread