Water Pump needs replacement... stock or upgrade?

BA21188

Established Member
Hey guys,

My water pump for my 03 cobra needs to be replaced. I was wondering if I should just replace it with a stock one.. or upgrade to something with higher GPM. Car makes 440rwhp, 2.8 pully, JLT CAI, Custom Tune. I plan to do some more mods, like porting the blower etc... so not sure if that plays into my decision here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

BA21188

Established Member
Should probably mention I'm having this done on monday, so short on time... sorry.

Stewart and Evans cooling makes a real nice wp but you're pressed for time and they are a bit more expensive. My oem pump is still going strong at 84k so the oem is stout too.

BA21188

Established Member
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I assume that just going with the same stock water pump wouldn't require any re-tuning, but would a re-tune be necessary if I were to upgrade?

Quick Strike

Established Member
Would a re-tune be necessary if I were to upgrade?

It would not. You would want a re-tune to take advantage of cooler and faster recovering temperatures if you upgraded the pump and added a larger radiator, cooling mod and better thermostat.

BA21188

Established Member
Awesome, thank you. In the next few weeks I plan on upgrading to AFCO heat exchanger... is this the type of cooling mod that may require a re-tune? Sorry if this is a silly question, figure better to ask anyway.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Your current tune becomes safer for your engine because of the increased cooling capacity as you add cooling components, but also may allow you to add timing and/or boost safely to your tune. One cooling item, by itself, will not usually allow enough additional power to warrant the the cost of retuning (unless we are talking about a Killer Chiller or a track only tune for an iced IC system).

BA21188

Established Member
Thanks Quick Strike, helpful explanation. I don't plan on upgrading to any sort of iced cooling system. Would you recommend upgrading the radiator as well as the heat exchanger? Or is there not much to be gained over a stock radiator? If I should do both, should one be done before the other?

SlowSVT

Established Member
An Evens water pump should provide a bit more volume of coolant.

EvensandCobra46modmotorwaterpump2.jpg

Quick Strike

Established Member
I would not think about a radiator upgrade until you are ready for a twin screw. The upgraded HE will be helpful with a ported eaton. I would also install a LDC type head cooling mod next time you change the clutch (trans needs to be off to install). I have a Stewart water pump in mine. It moves more volume then stock, but I have more volume then stock with the bigger radiator (I also have a twin screw). There are many, many, terminators out there with stock radiators and pumps making well over 500 RWHP without cooling issues. I wouldn't worry about the radiator until you really step up the power.

Users who are viewing this thread