Water Might Have Froze in Intercooler

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Bought this car a few months ago and we had a freak freeze (New Mexico), which caused some issues with the intercooler reservoir.

It was hissing and squealing with the pressure being released (lethal performace intercooler res.) and I talked to Lethal Performance about getting a new cap for the reservoir already, but noticed that the coolant inside looked like 100% water.

Car is now bogging down under any boost, I put in coolant in hopes of saving the intercooler pieces from freezing last night and ran it for a couple minutes to try to cycle the coolant.

Any advice would be helpful, would the bogging be due to some parts freezing? I've checked the hoses, they look ok, what else would break if the water froze in the intercooler?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
is the fluid level remained the same? if same IMO you didnt have any damage caused by freezing. if not --> possible damage to the intercooler and leaking.

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
It had water in the reservoir when I first looked (was about 1/2 full). Took a little out and filled it with a jug of coolant, which raised the level to about 4/5ths full.

After running the car to cycle it, a bit bubbled out the cap and it's back to 1/2 full.

As far as I can tell, most or all of the coolant loss there was out of the cap.

How much would I expect to lose if there was damage done? Sorry for such a general question, I guess I should ask, 'if I had catastrophic damage would I be losing all of my coolant?'

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
amount lossed I think would depend on how long you ran it, the ic pump doesnt kick on immediately...I think it kicks on by the factory after engine is up to operating temp. I would just jumper the IC relay to run the IC pump & watch for a few minutes, to see if the level remains at the level you have now.

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
OK now what?

Got home, fixed the leaky i/c reservoir cap and started the car to move it to the area I was going to work on it. Started fine, ran for about 30 seconds and shut it off.

Seemed to keep the i/c coolant just fine after I ran the i/c pump, didn't see any leaks.

Tried to start it up and move it back, wouldn't start. Turns over but nothing.

Turn the key -> can hear the fuel pump priming. Checking the fuse for pump now, will report. Should I be checking anything else? Only thing I touched was the intercooler reservoir and filled my washer fluid...

TRBO VNM

If the water freezes in the interooler and the intercooler cracks because of it, they water then goes into the lower intake manifold and then into the heads/valves, pistons,oil.

How do you know it was leaking out of the cap? bubbles coming up means there was air in the system. It may have just drew down the same amount as the air escaping.

Pull your dipstick tube and see what it looks like on the end. pray it is not milky

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
+1^ TRBO VNM suggestion...check dipstick... if dont deteck milky slim residue, but still suspect possible freeze damage, the lossed coolant may not be high enough in the lower intake to be seeping into heads/piston area.

not sure but others may be able to chime in, you may be able to check it water is in lower intake by disconnecting the vacume hose on driver side head that connects to the pcv valve. If you provide suction on the hose, I would expect IC coolant to come out if its in the lower intake. ( from the pics I've seen, this hose runs to the bottom of the lower intake I believe. )

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
+1^ TRBO VNM suggestion...check dipstick... if dont deteck milky slim residue, but still suspect possible freeze damage, the lossed coolant may not be high enough in the lower intake to be seeping into heads/piston area.

not sure but others may be able to chime in, you may be able to check it water is in lower intake by disconnecting the vacume hose on driver side head that connects to the pcv valve. If you provide suction on the hose, I would expect IC coolant to come out if its in the lower intake. ( from the pics I've seen, this hose runs to the bottom of the lower intake I believe. )

That line does indeed run to the bottom of the lower intake. Just a thought to everyone else, if you ever even think that you may have cracked the intercooler and water is in the intake.....DON'T start the car until you have taken the blower off and checked to make sure that is or is not the case. I know that doesn't help this guy, but figured that I should mention that.
To the OP, have you checked the FRPS yet?

Users who are viewing this thread