Want to paint ugly alternator....ideas please.

mackj66

Established Member
What do you guys think? I need some ideas. I am going to take it off and paint the shell by hand.
My car is Chrome yellow. I have a black JLT RAI. And everything else is pretty much stock look except for some chrome accent pieces.

1. Should I just paint the alternator black and call it a day.
2. Should I paint it a solid color (what color) with some sort of a pin stripe for accent?

Does anyone have any pictures of an alternator that is painted something other than all black?

Thanks for the help guys.

mackj66

Established Member
Hmmmmm...waste of time. I don't think so. The car sits there until I feel like driving it on nice days. Take a couple hours to paint it by hand, or drop a couple hundred bucks for no reason.

I guess I choose to waste my time.

Please go fill up someone elses thread with useless responses. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
mackj66, I painted mine by hand and it made a huge difference in the appearance of my engine. I wouldn't be painting it black if I were you though unless you had more black accents in your engine bay then just the JLT. It would probably stick out like a sore thumb...

n30402431_33223260_7228.jpg

1.jpg

thats a waste of time. just buy a new one, it will look much better

Well, I completely disagree with that comment. Mine still worked perfectly fine, so I painted it, and I think it looks good. Cost me a grand total of about $4 to do, too. Hell of a lot cheaper than a buying a new one...

Last edited:

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Hmmmmm...waste of time. I don't think so. The car sits there until I feel like driving it on nice days. Take a couple hours to paint it by hand, or drop a couple hundred bucks for no reason.

I guess I choose to waste my time.

Please go fill up someone elses thread with useless responses. Thanks for the help.
I didnt mean for my comment to upset you, so in that case go ahead and do your ghetto ass paint job. lol, a paint job on an alternator

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Tabres are your valve covers painted or are they poweder coated, im thinking about painting mine red to match my car until I can afford to have them powdercoated a long while from now

mackj66

Established Member
I didnt mean for my comment to upset you, so in that case go ahead and do your ghetto ass paint job. lol, a paint job on an alternator

Get a life troll. Kids like you usually amuse me, but we are actually trying to accomplish something here, so go back to your sand box.
Thanks for trying though.

The above picture looks anything but ghetto to me. Thanks for the image!!!
:)

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
why not just repaint it silver, so it will still match the valve covers/upper intake. unless you plan to change the colors of the others, then paint it to match. silver would get my vote though....

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Paint it... definitley... Tabres is right, it you dont have other black things it may stick out... However silver would be a vast improvement..

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
so what should you use on the alternator and valve covers, high temp engine paint and just clean and scuff it up, the reason i wanna paint is cus my passenger side looks burned toward the back, something must have spilled and burned on it, but I cant see oil getting back there

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I did my alternator with a little $2 can of gloss black Rustoleum...

Tabres are your valve covers painted or are they poweder coated, im thinking about painting mine red to match my car until I can afford to have them powdercoated a long while from now

They're powdercoated.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
You can just spray the thing without worrying about failure... Paint all over the winds doesnt cause any problems?

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
thats a waste of time. just buy a new one, it will look much better
HAHAHAHAH!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::bash:
WORST F*CKIN POST IN A LONG TIME

you are a moron.. waste of time or waste your money to replace a perfectly fine, WORKING alternator? You effing twit

if its rough (if) smooth it out with a wire brush and fine sand paper to finish and paint it black, or could do silver

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Does the alternator housing come apart? I think someone on here was trying to get the alternator apart at one point but not sure if he accomplished it. If it does come apart spaying with high temp wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Does the alternator housing come apart? I think someone on here was trying to get the alternator apart at one point but not sure if he accomplished it. If it does come apart spaying with high temp wouldn't be a bad idea.

That was me. The housing does not come apart, at least not easily. There are probably a dozen or more connections that you have to unsolder to get it apart. Really not worth the time...

jlg32281

Established Member
I think it will look good in a lot of colors. I think it matters whether or not you keep your engine bay really clean. Black will hide a lot of dirt. A lighter color will need more attention. Be sure to post pics of the project at all stages. Good luck, my vote is to match your plug wire colors.

Users who are viewing this thread