Want to Learn Some Form of Self Defense

sdoo500

Established Member
As the title states, I am looking to take classes on some form of self defense. Can anyone recommend the best form?

Have tossed around boxing, ju jitsu, and other things like Maui tai. I don’t have experience with anything and have only been in a few altercations in my life.

I’m not looking to do it for competition although I wouldn’t be opposed to an amateur competition someday and also not looking to do it strictly for an excercise form. A lot of the gyms I look up are either strictly done for excercise or hardcore training gyms.

In short, what would you guys recommend for someone to learn a little bit of fighting and self defense? I have recently gotten into pretty good shape and just looking to keep it going while learning how to protect myself a bit.

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
Bjj is fun! I trained taekwondo and boxing. And by for I love Bjj, I am a month and and won't stop. It will give you a workout as well and strengthen your core. I believe everyone could benefit from learning to defend yourself on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
karatekidcrane.jpg

Otherwise BJJ is a great choice.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Box of bullets and some range time. That flying chicken chit will get your feathers plucked quick nowadays.

sdoo500

Established Member
Have concealed carry already. Would like to not have to rely just on that though if for some reason I’m not carrying.

Have a couple friends very into bjj, May have to give that a try. I just figured with no striking it wouldn’t be hugely effective in real world and there may be better options.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'll be really honest here. Boxing, wrestling, Judo and Jui-Jitsu. Everything else is pure garbage from a practical standpoint.

TL;DR:
Anything that doesn't spar at 100% because "Their techniques are designed to kill" = garbage
5,000 1" punches after your attacker throws 1 then freezes = garbage
Throat punches, eye gouges, and other precision techniques = garbage
Hollywood Bruce Lee stuff = garbage

I'm not a fan of Krav Maga. It looks flashy but when it's put into actual use you end up going back to the basics of wrestling. Basically anything that relies on you hitting your opponent with a million little tiny precision strikes to get out of something while the other person pauses to let you do it....isn't realistic. If you break down Krav Maga to what actually works it's pretty much Judo so why not bypass all of the flashy shit that doesn't work and just go do Judo and some grappling.

We've done smokers with the Krav Maga gyms around here and they tend to get suffocated by pressure pretty bad. They rely on distance for a lot of the throws, arm drags, etc as well as their attackers to over-extend. Grapplers tend to tuck our arms in like T-Rex's and boxers tend to keep their elbows in on their sides which bewildered the Krav Maga guys. They tried a lot of flashy shit like flying armbars and complex hand fighting when you got close then panicked when they realized it didn't work like they were told it would. The guy I drew tried some half assed hip toss after I arm dragged him and I took his back and spend the rest of the time squeezing the life out of him there because they didn't train how to handle relentless pressure for long periods of time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're worried about something happening when you're not carrying, just carry more.

Machdup1

Established Member
Any discipline you practice will make you better than if you don't. Find a place close to your house so you will actually go to class.

Work on your fitness.

Get a handgun and an AR, find Clay Martin of Off the Reservation Tactical and take one of his classes. Probably the best of many blocks of instruction I've been through.

Users who are viewing this thread