want to go automatic ?

SlowSVT

Established Member
what got me hooked was taking a ride in my friends twin turbo automatic car. Let me tell you. I love the twinscrew and the grunt. But we took his car out and on 10lbs of boost, I couldn't believe it.

His 10lbs twin turbo auto setup will keep up with my 22lb 2.9 whipple setup. scary right. I wanted to see what 15-17lbs felt like but he was still breaking in the motor. 20lbs he said, the car is just outright silly

Try riding in Juice46 old Hellion turbo :eek:

Juiced46burnout_zps388cb044.jpg

You will feel safer riding flat-out WOT on the back of a Hayabusa in a downpour on the the Merritt Parkway :nonono:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I found a 4R70W out of a 2000 5.4 truck I was told..anyway to verify the truck length over the cars ? If I got the truck one I heard there 1 inch longer . If I go this way I wont have to get a longer drilveshaft or or get a steeda 11/16 spacer and change my rear Pinon flange out. . This would give me maximum input spline engagement. Or would the 1 in . Be to Long?

Also man wants 375 for it and dont even know if its good ? What's a good price. And how can I know if for sure its a truck trans...Any Measurements ? Thanks

Lmk I will be out thatyway tomorrow its 30 miles from home .

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
Try riding in Juice46 old Hellion turbo :eek:

Juiced46burnout_zps388cb044.jpg

You will feel safer riding flat-out WOT on the back of a Hayabusa in a downpour on the the Merritt Parkway :nonono:

turbo auto is just flat out fast. I refuse to go in cars like that. But my friends aj's car was faster than daves cobra. so I know all about it. This is the car now.

AJ's 1103 RWHP Street Cobra! - YouTube

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Thanks great link a saved it. :banana:
I know I want an automatic. But now found out is not to easy. I will most probably have to wait awhile . To get more funds.
Should I just go ahead and get my car tuned now ?. Since am still driving it some. on break In tune still have 700 miles on new motor.
My tuner said it be a 200 automatic up grade later on. For speedo.

But when I get back to work . Ill have the cash I can spend then.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Well a started at a transmission shop friday they had a few 4w70s there no 75s yet. ?
Wheres the link on building the 70 with ..aod of aode parts to make to HD .they have aod aodes .
Need that link to interchangeably in parts .

Someone said to but a Level 10 rebuild kit and a manual V B and be done ?

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I decided. Its in my best interest. Just to sell my car. I dont think I could do the swap in my condition.
Anyone interested message me give u more details .Thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
I decided. Its in my best interest. Just to sell my car. I dont think I could do the swap in my condition.
Anyone interested message me give u more details .Thanks

Question: If the automatic was in the car now would you sell it?

There may be other factors involved but if the answer to above is "no" then I think you should reconsider. You put a lot of time, effort and money into your Terminator and it would be a shame to sell it due to back problems. If that's the case I would personally assist you getting an auto installed in your car but the drive would kill me. Maybe a bunch local guy and come over and help with the swap you buy the beer :beer: ..........:nono: after the work is done.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I most probably wouldn't. But I just did work at a trans shop last week .for a week .we got more 4R70W in then u could imagine .even still under warranty? Yes they where In big trucks F150 crew cabs and some f250s I think also. Truck people must abuse them or tow some heavy stuff. The trans and conv. Are just part of the swap...u have to. Buy a shift control unit or buy a manual VB and shift uo and down all the time correct? Also I have kooks LT 1 3/4 please tell me I can cut the ears off the 4R70W it make it fit in without taken the pass. Side header off .I can get to the top starter bolt with the special tools I have. But a really Dont want to drop the K Member and have to hold the motor up. My arthritis is worst since I finshed building the boss 50 motor.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I had a link saved that I deleted. It was a 4R70W .they all looked powered coated yellow and had a rear tail shaft oiler system with steel braided hose .I can not find that link for nothing?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Isn't there some local SVTP members who can step-up to the plate and help this guy? Rick put his heart and soul into building this car and as I remember pushed his body to the limit in the process. Imagine how any of us would feel if we had to give up our Terminator because of a physical condition :cryying:

Rick

As you alluded to a tranny out of a truck will have more wear and tear than a passenger car tranny. I think the order of business is to generate a list of the parts you need if you haven't done so already (perhaps starting the list on this thread where people can comment on it), get someone to commit to helping you, round-up the parts needed then plan a weekend to do the swap. You can sell the T56 to help finance the swap.

If I lived closer I would be at your front door wearing a pair of dirty overalls.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Well Thanks for all the help and info giving here. After working at a trans. Shop only for a week put my body to the ultimate test. I started on a friday was off sat. Sun. Worked mon /thur .at lunch thurs. I told the boss I could handle it. Told him about my Serve Arthritis how I stood up for 4 hours. Before lunch and 4 hours after lunch I dont know? When I told him I was quiting .he said No come on work through it.i finshed Thursday. I had to call in Friday couldnt walk just to to pee that was it.couldnt make it to the kitchen to eat wife had to bring my food to me in bed friday Saturday and sunday.i went to work Monday after 3 day rest. Monday went ok I made it mostly due to doing u joints on a ram 3500 just the rear shaft the ones you have to heat up have plastic in them it took 3 hours. Tues I had enough with my co worker .bed been there 11 months only tools he had is What be found in junk cars or stole from otber workers. After finding 300 dollars of my tools missing I had Enough at lunch I loaded up my tools .took them out my roll around kart in to converter boxes.i then flipped the kart over in my cars trunk and hauled ass. I make 600 bucks gross. Minuns 300 in. Tools missing in just one week . Only had 1 other worker pulling them also..I have 28 yr background .be has 11 months am 48 he's 30. He was telling me what to do. Oh and when he saw my taking mh medication ..he wanted to buy some.i say whats with you.oh I hurt all over. I told him well go see a doctor that was on day 2 .since then he'd been a real ass to me since. Boss man called me said where u at I told him what I just said here. And was tired of him usen my tools I needed he needed them when I need them
Sorry for the Rant thats what I. Been through last week.
I have very low Fund's to the point of losing my house which I own by still not paid for yet. Been bere 12 yr. I need to sell it cause its the only car a have to get my out this Hole iam in. :(

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I Need advice.
Keep cobra? But would need automatic cost of 4 to5K. u know I just put the Boss50 motor in it still with breakin tune .money I really dont have.
Or
Sell my 68SS Chevelle the one w the bbc 489 w 871 blower ? To fund automatic. The SS is nice ladder bar tubbed. But really will never drive it . But had it since 1982.

All my other 3 cars would even come close to the total of one of these. Cobra has ac handles looks also . My Brain is fried dunno?

I have a 83gt which my dad brought me brand new .my dad has passed almost 2 yrs in Feb. I cant sell it it runs 10.0s

Sorry for the rant I do have OCD I think. But never went to get diagnosed for it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
A roof over your head is a lot more important then a couple of hot rods in the garage. Keep your finances in order above all else. If both cars are in good working order you will get decent money for both of them. Sorry to hear about the trouble your going thru right now.

Users who are viewing this thread