want to cut springs..

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
ive been wanting to lower my car for sometime now but i really dont have the tools right now to cut the springs on my terminator... also im still learning how to work on it as well and was wondering if anybody could help me out.. i would def rather have someone who is more sound at working on it just so i dont jack anything up...even though the write up there for guidance.. i need to make the terminator look like a beast with just the right stance!!!! just pm me and let me know if you can help out thanks fellas..im in northern va area...

Satan's Snake

Established Member
not hard to do, but it's a pain to get the stock springs out if you don't have access to a lift....I've done mine and just did a buddy's a month or 2 ago...I could probably help you out and I have an ass load of tools but I'm about an hour away from you

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Cool cool. Yeah I hear having access to a lift would make your life so much better in the lowering process. My cuz has a shop with the lift but I just wanted to do the work with someone so I could learn hands on. Lastresort would be to just let him do it... Wouldn't mind the drive honestly an hour isn't too bad. Thanks man we will be in touch

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I did mine in my driveway with the help of a buddy and it wasnt bad at all. Sorry Abdul, i told you i'd help you out but i have been extremely busy recently and its not getting any better. I work 10hr shifts and this weekend i'll be out of town, next weekend is Carlisle so i'll be out of town again, the following weekend is the Tysons show, the following weekend is the MACA round up. I just have a few hours here and there. The job takes 2-3hrs to complete.

TRBO VNM

I would suggest getting a set of springs instead of cutting stock ones. I had cut stock springs and on a budget they are great, but being linear rate springs you get basically no improved handling. Mine felt just as sloppy with the cut springs as it was at factory height. Going with a progressive rate spring will lower and improve handling.

That being said, if it is a budget thing, I understand. I only cut mine because I knew I was changing to front coilovers and solid axle.

If you are free Monday, you can come over and I could help you out or guide you. I have never used a lift for doing springs.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
I did mine in my driveway with the help of a buddy and it wasnt bad at all. Sorry Abdul, i told you i'd help you out but i have been extremely busy recently and its not getting any better. I work 10hr shifts and this weekend i'll be out of town, next weekend is Carlisle so i'll be out of town again, the following weekend is the Tysons show, the following weekend is the MACA round up. I just have a few hours here and there. The job takes 2-3hrs to complete.

No worries Nate. Got to make money!!! Really I totally understand man.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
I would suggest getting a set of springs instead of cutting stock ones. I had cut stock springs and on a budget they are great, but being linear rate springs you get basically no improved handling. Mine felt just as sloppy with the cut springs as it was at factory height. Going with a progressive rate spring will lower and improve handling.

That being said, if it is a budget thing, I understand. I only cut mine because I knew I was changing to front coilovers and solid axle.

If you are free Monday, you can come over and I could help you out or guide you. I have never used a lift for doing springs.

I really was debating on getting springs but I feel like money is flying ou of my pocket for real lol. But yeah so it's a budget thing right now and I just want the mean stance for now. I'm buildin my bike as well which explains the budget. If I do come across race springs or coil overs for a good price I def will purchase them. And a far as Monday goes I wouldn't be able too.. I work 12.5 hour shifts mon-wed. Thanks man

Satan's Snake

Established Member

hmmm I must be a retard then either that or you guys took more apart than I did...it took me about 2.5 hours to do all 4 corners. the fronts were easy it was the rear that was a PITA!!! but I'm gettin better at it I guess last time I took mine out I did the rear on jack stands in about 45 min:shrug:

OP...whatever you want to do is fine with me

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

not a retard, there are just some things people do different. I have done so many, I have certain things I do to make it easier and faster. the front is pretty straight forward. not much you can do different than others. the rear is where it is different. I usually do a full set in 1.5-2hr depending on different things(weather, age of car and how it is taken care of, etc).

OP, if you aren't off monday, I could do sunday afternoon. it will take a little longer since we are cutting the springs instead of just swapping.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
not a retard, there are just some things people do different. I have done so many, I have certain things I do to make it easier and faster. the front is pretty straight forward. not much you can do different than others. the rear is where it is different. I usually do a full set in 1.5-2hr depending on different things(weather, age of car and how it is taken care of, etc).

OP, if you aren't off monday, I could do sunday afternoon. it will take a little longer since we are cutting the springs instead of just swapping.

Fam get togeter Sunday afternoon so I couldn't do that. Thurs or fri or even sat would be the best days out of the week for me. I jaw a pt job but it's very flexible.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
hmmm I must be a retard then either that or you guys took more apart than I did...it took me about 2.5 hours to do all 4 corners. the fronts were easy it was the rear that was a PITA!!! but I'm gettin better at it I guess last time I took mine out I did the rear on jack stands in about 45 min:shrug:

OP...whatever you want to do is fine with me

Thanks man I'll def let you know what I'll do. I guess just a bad week dealing with the holiday an the terminator shoot out Saturday. Might have to aim for next week unless my cuz can do it. If I decide to do that of course. Thanks again man I will be in contact.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Get some H&R race springs and call it a day. They are around $250, which isn't bad for a mod that will greatly improve the look and handling of your car. After you get them in, you'll know it was well worth it.

And you definitely don't need a lift to do springs. The first major install I ever did on a car was the shocks and springs on my GT and it only took a few hours in the driveway, mainly by myself. Just be careful getting those stock springs out for the first time.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
man its like what should i do when it comes to lowering... ill shop for some race springs and think about it tonight. i really want this thing lowered within the next week or so. thanks for all feedback i might just have to take the hit and get the springs if the handling is that much better.. ill look in the market for some if not ill just shop for the best price on springs..

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
isos arent a necessity. i did need CC plates though in order to get my car aligned properly

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
ok cool ill prob just order the springs today and hopefully have them on sometime at the end of the week next week.... nate you ever heard of springfield motorsports?? my cousins shop where i get all of work done on my cars id right next to it.. and ive been talking to thier tuner ( name is Wheat) for a while now about tuning and he has put up some decent #'s on all types of cobras and mustangs... i wanted to go with him orginally but then i heard about herman.. wanted to see if you knew or heard something about since youre local.. let me know. thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread