Want a quiet Catback

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I have Full length headers, high flow cats, and Magnaflow Catback. While it sounds great, it is very loud. What Catback can I run that sounds good with a little less roar!!

Dusten

Established Member
do you have the big single muffler from magnaflow? I don't remember a catback that's much quieter than that.

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
Honestly, I just bought this Lightning. I am not sure if it is a single muffler or a dual set-up. I was going to see what other people ran on their Lightnings. It sounds a lot like my old system on my last Lightning, only twice as loud. I bought it from a guy in South Carolina Saturday. Stayed a few days in my place in Knoxville. Once I get her home I can take a better look.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
do you have the big single muffler from magnaflow? I don't remember a catback that's much quieter than that.

That. A single Magnaflow is pretty quiet.

Honestly, I just bought this Lightning. I am not sure if it is a single muffler or a dual set-up. I was going to see what other people ran on their Lightnings. It sounds a lot like my old system on my last Lightning, only twice as loud. I bought it from a guy in South Carolina Saturday. Stayed a few days in my place in Knoxville. Once I get her home I can take a better look.

I'm betting it's dual Magnapacks, which are basically straight pipes.

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Our off the shelf catbacks are designed to be more on the conservative side, as far as the volume on aftermarket systems. In our experience, changing headers is usually what causes exhaust to become too loud for most peoples preference. We think you may see (hear) better results by switching back to stock headers, than a different catback.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I recently switched to a Magnaflow single muffler system and it is certainly louder than the Borla system I took off. The muffler is physically smaller on the Magnaflow and "straight through" with internal X. The Borla is a large single case with 2 baffled ports into a central expansion chamber with 2 baffled ports out. Personally I enjoy the change, but in the interest of OP's setup and wanting quiet I would think options are limited to Borla or OEM without changing back to manifolds.

12208363_1230223530340405_4374623009244390774_n.jpg

12088187_1227956033900488_7104539417244990711_n.jpg

Last edited:

CBailey

Established Member
You can add the Bassani resonator baffles, #54LBFL, to your Magnaflow catback and reduce the dB level significantly. The internal pipe inside the Magnaflow tips will have to be shortened, but diameter wise, they fit perfectly. I made up a mandrel with a cutoff wheel for my end grinder to cut the internal pipe, but a muffler shop can do it for you by removing the tips, shortening the pipe, and welding the tips back on. I had the same problem, but now it is easy to carry on a conversation in the truck

Users who are viewing this thread