Want a new phone, where to buy?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm in the need for a new phone. My phone is just plan slow and doesn't hold a charge for long. My provider is Verizon, and they don't do contracts anymore. Prices on phones are retail.

I'm not one that pays a lot for a phone. I just can't justify doing it. Even older phones on Verizon's site is 300+ dollars.

So what are my options?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I buy new unlocked phones from EBay and bring them to our carrier. We don't need or care to have the latest or greatest so we've found some good deals on older phones.
Awesome. I just worry about getting a used phone that has the same problems my current phone has.

helloWorld

Established Member
Swappa.com is an excellent place to search for phones.

I have also done the craigslist thing and had the seller meet me at a Verizon store for activation and the seller did not get paid until the phone was successfully activated.

I purchased the phone I have now, an unlocked Pixel XL, from Swappa and the guys at the Verizon store I went to had no issues activating it.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Yes sir. That's why we only buy new while still saving hundreds of dollars.

How old are the phones you usually find on Ebay?

I am about to be in the market for the exact same reason. I'm with Verizon and was shocked to hear they stopped to the trade in upgrades. I'm now looking for an alternative to buying a phone with not having to throw a ton of money at it.....or give even more of my money to Verizon.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
How old are the phones you usually find on Ebay?

I am about to be in the market for the exact same reason. I'm with Verizon and was shocked to hear they stopped to the trade in upgrades. I'm now looking for an alternative to buying a phone with not having to throw a ton of money at it.....or give even more of my money to Verizon.

You can find everything from the newest phones to phones that are several years old.

I just choose phones that are one to two generations older than what's current to save some $.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
You can find everything from the newest phones to phones that are several years old.

I just choose phones that are one to two generations older than what's current to save some $.

I'm the same way, I don't have to have the latest and greatest. In fact, most of the time it costs a ton of money for not as a proportional gain.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I may wait until cyber Monday and see if deals are out there. I remember year's ago I bought a phone off Verizon store and they gave me instructions on how to transfer everything over to my new phone. I never had to set foot into the Verizon store. I may go this route again.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
As someone else said, Swappa is the only option I'd use. I've bought 4 phones off that site and never have had an issue. The site even has a IMEI checker to make sure the phone isn't "blacklisted" its been accurate for me as well.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I may wait until cyber Monday and see if deals are out there. I remember year's ago I bought a phone off Verizon store and they gave me instructions on how to transfer everything over to my new phone. I never had to set foot into the Verizon store. I may go this route again.

That is what i'm doing. I'm going to hold out until then to see about a phone and some speakers for the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread