vortech t-trim pulley size question

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
hey guy i got a t-trim vortech on my 98 built cobra and im looking to make 600rwhp and i found out the only way to do so is 16 to 17psi

what size pulley will make me the 16 to 17 psi that i need?
i have a small pulley already but the guy that i bought it from only made 515rwhp

please help me out

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What size lower?? I made 15psi on a 3.0" and a stock 8 rib crank from bggperformance.. if you are looking for 17psi I'd do a 2.8x or a 2.75. But be prepared for belt slip unless you have a 8 rib setup

JP_Stang

Established Member
I was seeing 14lbs. with a 3.25" blower pulley and stock crank pulley. I have the same goals as you so we are kind of in the same boat. I switched to a RR 3.0" blower pulley and a Innovative West 10% overdrive crank pulley. I will be spinning the blower to its max impeller speed at 6200rpm. I have the "Race" series blower so I am not to worried about spinning a little past that if I decide to go to 7K rpm.

If money isn't an issue for you right now, I would look into an overdrive crank pulley and a RR blower pulley. My combination should net me in the 16-17lbs. of boost. I recommend the overdrive pulley because if you go any smaller than 3" or so on the blower pulley, you are going to be battling belt slip.

Last edited:

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
so if i stay with the stock crank pulley and go with a rr 2.9" i should be able to make somewhere around 600rwhp but i will have belt slip?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Do you have a 6 rib kit still? if so yes you probably will, your best bet if you are sticking with a 6 rib setup is to get a bigger crank pulley.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
15% O/D innovators west. Get a 8 rib version so then if you upgrade to a 8 rib kit you won't have to buy a new pulley.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
15% O/D innovators west. Get a 8 rib version so then if you upgrade to a 8 rib kit you won't have to buy a new pulley.

^^ this or the ATI damper is a quality piece too. FWIW I don't have belt slip with a 6 rib setup, stock Vortech belt size & crank pulley with factory tensioner and additional idler, I'd say I'm close to my limit though. The RR pullies do help with grip I like how they encase the whole belt..

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
Just be sure to do a little research on the 15% overdrive OP. You may need to invest in an electric water pump if you go 15%. Most people over pressurize their water system with the 15%. That is why I went with a 10% overdrive.

You will also want to purchase a larger alt. pulley. Metco makes them for the 03/04 Cobra's, but they fit our alt. also. I went with a 3.2" alt. pulley for the 10% overdrive.

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
Also, if you do just go with a 2.9" blower pulley and you do experience belt slip, you will most likely not see the 600whp mark due to the fact that you won't be able to achieve the boost you need to get there with the belt slip.

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
i want 600 at the wheels so with a 15% overdrive with q 2.9 or 2.8 pulley and what size should i use on the alt?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Do you have some form of intercooler, with a air to air setup or a air to water setup?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Ok so you have a similar setup to me.. Do you have a big bypass valve?? What is your exhaust setup? If you're planning on running 17psi I can narrow down the pulley size for you rather easily but I need to know the questions above :beer:

JP_Stang

Established Member
I went with a a 3.2" alt. pulley with the 10%, so I would think 3.5" with a 15%.

You won't need a 15% overdrive with that 2.9" pulley man. You will be overspinning that blower by quite a bit, and it probably won't hold up to that for very long. With a 10% overdrive and a 3.0" blower pulley I will be at max impeller speed at 6500rpm, and I have the same blower as you. Plus, if you are looking for 17lbs. of boost, you will get that with the combination I have on mine. The max impeller speed for our blowers is 55K. Even if you only spin your motor to 6500rpm you will be at 58K. If you go to 7000rpm you will be at almost 63K. You aren't going to need to spin it that hard to reach your goal. If you feel like you have to get a 15% overdrive, I wouldn't go any bigger on your blower than 3.2". That will put you at max impeller speed at 6500rpm and at 57K at 7000rpm. Its not worth destroying your head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread