Vortech question

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Just to beat a dead horse here, I also have a V1 on my car and it currently makes 560 through an aftercooler kit. I think you will be happy with the kit based on your goals, and are on the right path getting him under $2k. Definitely room to grow too as others have stated with upgraded impellers and intercooler kits.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Just to beat a dead horse here, I also have a V1 on my car and it currently makes 560 through an aftercooler kit. I think you will be happy with the kit based on your goals, and are on the right path getting him under $2k. Definitely room to grow too as others have stated with upgraded impellers and intercooler kits.
I think after its all said and done its gonna be around 2300. Just dont think I want to jump on that because I would still need injectors. Might hold out to see if I find a better deal at Ford Nationals or on the forums or facebook marketplace. People want to much money for incomplete kits IMO.

DaveWertz

Established Member
That maf is going to peg around 500rwhp. You can add a mafia to it to extend the range or get a better maf. You can get used 03/04 cobra injectors for around $125 or used 42 or 60lb injectors. New you're looking at $300. I wouldnt offer him more than $2k shipped. You're essentially buying a tuner kit because there are no injectors or fuel pump and a so so maf. Brand new a tuner kit goes for around $2900 and that's the better Si trim as the S is discontinued.
Reading back and you say new kits go for around 2900? Please point me in the direction that these are 2900.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Reading back and you say new kits go for around 2900? Please point me in the direction that these are 2900.

Typically 2v tuner kits are $2900-$3100 when on sale online and even better prices through dealers. Looks like the 4v kit might be a little more. Didn't think there would be much of a variance since the only difference is the bracket assembly. You'll need to go through a Vortech dealer to get the best pricing. Give TPS (Tuner Kit - Vortech - SuperChargers - Mustang 96-98) a call as they don't have a 4v kit listed on their site and see what they can do. Also reach out to any local shops that are Vortech dealers to get pricing. This local shop by me that is a Vortech dealer offers good pricing. Spring Bling Supercharger sale!!!! Vortech and Paxton

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Look into the old $1,500 supercharge build.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

This too. You can pick up any headunit that is ccw rotation, then add the bracket assembly and oil lines. Make your own discharge pipe and powerpipe or order new, but if you're going to piece it together might as well go straight to adding an intercooler.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I think after its all said and done its gonna be around 2300. Just dont think I want to jump on that because I would still need injectors. Might hold out to see if I find a better deal at Ford Nationals or on the forums or facebook marketplace. People want to much money for incomplete kits IMO.

What gauges does it come with. If it's a good condition kit and everything is included that woukd come in a tuner kit then it's not a bad deal. You can get a used lightning maf for $60-$80. Used 03/04 cobra injectors are $125. You can probably have everything for a non intercooled kit for $2000 plus whatever shipping is on the items.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the 2v and 4v head units are different. The Cobra/Mach 1 spec units are designed for the higher rpm the 4v's reach. But I guess that really doesn't matter on a street car.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
What gauges does it come with. If it's a good condition kit and everything is included that woukd come in a tuner kit then it's not a bad deal. You can get a used lightning maf for $60-$80. Used 03/04 cobra injectors are $125. You can probably have everything for a non intercooled kit for $2000 plus whatever shipping is on the items.
Shit glow shift. Shipping is 150 give or take. Comes with lighting maf. So even after injectors I'm at what? 2300-2400. May just dig real deep and bump my game up to 3k. Shouldn't do it with a wedding and a kid due in September but **** it. 3k seems to be a sweeter spot looking for used unit.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the 2v and 4v head units are different. The Cobra/Mach 1 spec units are designed for the higher rpm the 4v's reach. But I guess that really doesn't matter on a street car.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

The Sci was designed for the cobras as their redline is 6800rpm (not sure if a 96-98 cobra redline is that high), but imo they are worse performers than a S, SQ, Si. They build boost slower because they are designed to spin higher. On a stock motor car, and especially a street car, Id get an S, SQ, Si over an SCi. It'll build boost quicker and you're not going to be spinning it out to 6800rpm on the street most likely. I run a V1 S on my auto Mach and have it shifting at 6500-6600rpm on the stock motor without any issues. Redline on an auto Mach is 5800.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Shit glow shift. Shipping is 150 give or take. Comes with lighting maf. So even after injectors I'm at what? 2300-2400. May just dig real deep and bump my game up to 3k. Shouldn't do it with a wedding and a kid due in September but **** it. 3k seems to be a sweeter spot looking for used unit.

I thought you said you got him down to $1800? Not sure how far this is being shipped, but I think mine was less than $100 to ship 1,000 miles. I meant what kind of gauge not what brand. All you need is boost and wideband. AEM wideband is like $180. Autometer boost gauge is $70. $3k would definitely get you a better kit. I've got a wedding in September too lol, but have spent $30k on house improvements over the last year and $3k on the car.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I thought you said you got him down to $1800? Not sure how far this is being shipped, but I think mine was less than $100 to ship 1,000 miles. I meant what kind of gauge not what brand. All you need is boost and wideband. AEM wideband is like $180. Autometer boost gauge is $70. $3k would definitely get you a better kit. I've got a wedding in September too lol, but have spent $30k on house improvements over the last year and $3k on the car.
Got him to 1800 on blower. Now it's getting rid of everything sale. So he wants I guess 200 on boost, fuel and I think it was oil pressure gauge. Just to much back and fourth right now and yes 150 is steeeep for shipping. Coming from one of the Carolinas to PA. Ha, I'll be getting married in july, kid comes September. Screwed myself by spending 3k on my street glide to make it look pretty. That's 3k I could have bought a new setup and been done. I've been looking on corral.net and a few facebook sites. I'm new to facebook so I'm still learning where all the good parts are lol. There is really not much put there, not that I can afford right now.

DaveWertz

Established Member
This kid sent me this. Says it's a complete kit. 3200 shipped. I asked for pics of the entire kit laid out to see everything, everything looks there and I wont have to buy anything extra. Pipes look a little shotty

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190425-182736_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190425-182736_Facebook.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_20190425-182749_Samsung capture.jpg
    Screenshot_20190425-182749_Samsung capture.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 160

blownstang4.6

Established Member
This kid sent me this. Says it's a complete kit. 3200 shipped. I asked for pics of the entire kit laid out to see everything, everything looks there and I wont have to buy anything extra. Pipes look a little shotty

Make sure it comes with the 3 core intercooler. What maf comes with it? Have pics of everything? If you plan on staying under 500rwhp the P1SC will work. If you want to make more than 550rwhp in the future you'll need to upgrade to a better headunit as the P1 is done right around there. I personally prefer Vortech over Procharger. You can have a Vortech rebuilt and upgraded to an Si trim for $750 where Procharger charges you more than double for a rebuild, but either are capable of making more power than the stock motor can handle.

Last edited:

DaveWertz

Established Member
Make sure it comes with the 3 core intercooler. What maf comes with it? Have pics of everything? If you plan on staying under 500rwhp the P1SC will work. If you want to make more than 550rwhp in the future you'll need to upgrade to a better headunit as the P1 is done right around there. I personally prefer Vortech over Procharger. You can have a Vortech rebuilt and upgraded to an Si trim for $750 where Procharger charges you more than double for a rebuild, but either are capable of making more power than the stock motor can handle.
After all the talk I think I want to keep vortech or KB if I find one at a good price. Problem is finding a good deal.... pro charger seems to be way out of my range anyhow. For 3k, I know it doesnt mean shit but to me it does is that it looks like the hell was spanked put of it.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Actually was just on tpsmotorsports and they have a brand new 2.1 marked down to 3300. I could use that as leverage but that is cheaper than anywhere else. Most are asking around 2700 used.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Actually was just on tpsmotorsports and they have a brand new 2.1 marked down to 3300. I could use that as leverage but that is cheaper than anywhere else. Most are asking around 2700 used.

That's the nonintercooled version. I wouldn't put that on your car. A non intercooled centri like a Vortech will run cooler than a noncooled KB. With a KB you want the cooled version, but I'm not sure they make a cooled version for 96-98.

Users who are viewing this thread