Vortech question

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Makes sense now. Actually looking for a gen 2 lightning maf and 42lbs. If that falls through I did find deka 60 and 80lbs. The 90mm maf should be good for 450 to 500whp mark. I feel 39lbs might be pegged at that level.

The 39lb cobra injectors are rated at 42lbs.Theyre good to around 550rwhp. The maf should be enough, but isn't always.

Stanger00

Established Member
If you use a lightning MAF it will be draw-thru setup and shouldn’t be used as blow-thru. I ran into problems with pegging at 10psi around 400hp. I added diablo MAFia extender.

42lb injectors are plug and play and will meet your goals.

The best setup is to buy slot style meter and run blow-thru. Drivability is way better and no worries of gusts of wind causing idle surges or weird issues like that.

A used v1 for$2k sounds expensive. A V2 S and Si trim for $2k seems more reasonable.

I usually bought all of spare parts from superchargersonline.

Vortech has their install instructions in pdf format found on their website and lists all the parts needed for install and you could use that to piece together an incomplete system.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DaveWertz

Established Member
If you use a lightning MAF it will be draw-thru setup and shouldn’t be used as blow-thru. I ran into problems with pegging at 10psi around 400hp. I added diablo MAFia extender.

42lb injectors are plug and play and will meet your goals.

The best setup is to buy slot style meter and run blow-thru. Drivability is way better and no worries of gusts of wind causing idle surges or weird issues like that.

A used v1 for$2k sounds expensive. A V2 S and Si trim for $2k seems more reasonable.

I usually bought all of spare parts from superchargersonline.

Vortech has their install instructions in pdf format found on their website and lists all the parts needed for install and you could use that to piece together an incomplete system.
If I could find something like a v2 for 2k I'd snatch it up but that's impossible. And what other options do I have other than spending an additional 250 for the mafia extender? There has to be something a bit cheaper out there. If I get that it is cutting into my dyno tune fund and wont be able to drive the car lol, definitely cant have that...

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Lightning/Cobra mass air with a mafia, blow- through style and 42lbs Ford "green top" injectors.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
Of the 2 I assume the SCT BA3000 would be a direct fit and less hassle. Or do i buy the used diablo and add it to my 03 maf? Which in you opinion is the better deal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190430-071858_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190430-071858_Facebook.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20190430-071633_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190430-071633_Facebook.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 150

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Of the 2 I assume the SCT BA3000 would be a direct fit and less hassle. Or do i buy the used diablo and add it to my 03 maf? Which in you opinion is the better deal.

Are you buying that guys Vortech with intercooler piping or building your own? Your best maf option if going intercooled is the Pmas Hpx slot style maf.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Are you buying that guys Vortech with intercooler piping or building your own? Your best maf option if going intercooled is the Pmas Hpx slot style maf.
For now its going to be non intercooled. I have a kid on the way and wedding to pay for so spending is tight right now.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
For now its going to be non intercooled. I have a kid on the way and wedding to pay for so spending is tight right now.

Understood. Just FYI, it's about another $800 to go intercooled if you get the slot maf with flange, universal piping kit and fit and cut it yourself, cxracing or mishimoto intercooler, and blow off valve.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
FWIW there is no hassle with either MAF. Our old 02 Procharged GT had a SCT2600. Had no issues with it. Actually, my buddy I sold it to is still running the same setup. I installed the kit about 12 years ago. He is on his 2nd motor but that is his fault lol. I'm running a Mafia on my 98 and my wife's 03. Both have been on there about 10 years. The 98 is blow-through and hers is draw-through. The Mafia's are hidden inside the fender apron. No issue with them either. I understand being on a tight squeeze with the kid coming, I have 3. You'll be fine non ic on a street car.

DaveWertz

Established Member
FWIW there is no hassle with either MAF. Our old 02 Procharged GT had a SCT2600. Had no issues with it. Actually, my buddy I sold it to is still running the same setup. I installed the kit about 12 years ago. He is on his 2nd motor but that is his fault lol. I'm running a Mafia on my 98 and my wife's 03. Both have been on there about 10 years. The 98 is blow-through and hers is draw-through. The Mafia's are hidden inside the fender apron. No issue with them either. I understand being on a tight squeeze with the kid coming, I have 3. You'll be fine non ic on a street car.
THats what I figured. I ended buying that BA3000. Picked it up cheap so why not. Was going to cost the same as the mafia. That's all im going for is a street car. 450+ to the wheels and ill be happy. Have a forged bottom end so I can jam power down its throat. With that being said I may not be able to put it on until I can save money for a dyno tune. I would be about half afraid to drive it until i can tune it. This is a whole new world when I am so use to push rod motors. Interesting for sure. Kinda nervous to see how much they will rape me for a dyno tune. Is that necessary or would a flash tune be cheaper and just as good?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I'm going to price all the pcs and see if it's worth the time and effort. Looking for injectors now. I can use 03 cobra remans? Arent they only 39lb injectors? That should be enough if I want to push more boost later. Been looking into a tuner as well in PA. I called Lund but hey don't do this yr car. Kind of a bummer.
If you want a good tuner in PA go to Dave Guy at DGR Performance right outside Harrisburg.

I had multiple tuners in pa touch my Cobra he's the only one that could get it running right, making more power, and safer than anyone else's tune.

For injectors just get some used ev1 60lbs they're 250 all day long on corral.

For the intercooler treadstone tr1235 is the best bang for the buck, cx racing is trash and I speak from experience.

Bov get a tial q with the supercharger spring.

I did this exact thing to my Cobra if you have questions pm me it was quite a learning experience.

Where in pa are you?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
If you want a good tuner in PA go to Dave Guy at DGR Performance right outside Harrisburg.

I had multiple tuners in pa touch my Cobra he's the only one that could get it running right, making more power, and safer than anyone else's tune.

For the intercooler treadstone tr1235 is the best bang for the buck, cx racing is trash and I speak from experience.

I did this exact thing to my Cobra if you have questions pm me it was quite a learning experience.

Where in pa are you?

I am about 30min east of Williamsport. I was actually looking at PAdyno in still water which is about 12 miles from me. Haven't called them yet. Heard anything about them?

DaveWertz

Established Member

Where in pa are you?

Curious, what numbers did your car put down?

Stanger00

Established Member
Dave still working in this business! He did some work on my Mustang about 14 years ago and we did some road testing together to make sure my surging issues went away after a new bypass valve was installed.

FYI the tial 50mm BOV is loud and is loud all of the time. I ran a vortech bypass valve for years with 10-12psi and no noise from that thing but now with 16-17psi had to go with a BOV.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
THats what I figured. I ended buying that BA3000. Picked it up cheap so why not. Was going to cost the same as the mafia. That's all im going for is a street car. 450+ to the wheels and ill be happy. Have a forged bottom end so I can jam power down its throat. With that being said I may not be able to put it on until I can save money for a dyno tune. I would be about half afraid to drive it until i can tune it. This is a whole new world when I am so use to push rod motors. Interesting for sure. Kinda nervous to see how much they will rape me for a dyno tune. Is that necessary or would a flash tune be cheaper and just as good?

You can get a driveability tune emailed to you. Power adder tunes here run $650. You can also do remote street tuning where you do most of the logging but this is a long process. Can also do a remote dyno tune. The remote dyno tuning usually comes out cheaper if there aren't any issues since you're paying for your car sitting on the dyno. Street tuning is half of what a dyno tune costs. I wouldn't recommend solely street tuning due to traction issues and not really being able to pull it to redline in 4th.

For intercoolers was giving you the cheapest option that would work for the power your looking to make. Definitely go with Treadstone if you could swing it. Think it's about $200 more than the cxracing units. No need to limit yourself to 450 if you have a forged motor. What are the details of you engine? What's the compression? Compression will dictate alot on how much power the car will make. Definitely get 60lb injectors so you have plenty of room to grow since you're forged. One guy was selling all 8 yesterday on FB for $50. Guess he had them laying around for a while and didn't have use for them. Normally can get them for $200 used. New they are $300.

Last edited:

DaveWertz

Established Member
You can get a driveability tune emailed to you. Power adder tunes here run $650. You can also do remote street tuning where you do most of the logging but this is a long process. Can also do a remote dyno tune. The remote dyno tuning usually comes out cheaper if there aren't any issues since you're paying for your car sitting on the dyno. Street tuning is half of what a dyno tune costs. I wouldn't recommend solely street tuning due to traction issues and not really being able to pull it to redline in 4th.

For intercoolers was giving you the cheapest option that would work for the power your looking to make. Definitely go with Treadstone if you could swing it. Think it's about $200 more than the cxracing units. No need to limit yourself to 450 if you have a forged motor. What are the details of you engine? What's the compression? Compression will dictate alot on how much power the car will make. Definitely get 60lb injectors so you have plenty of room to grow since you're forged. One guy was selling all 8 yesterday on FB for $50. Guess he had them laying around for a while and didn't have use for them. Normally can get them for $200 used. New they are $300.
kellog crank, .020 JE pistons factory compression, manley h beams, 9 thread spark plug inserts. IMRC deletes, 5 angle valve job, factory recondition heads with cams, cometic gaskets, ARP hardware, areomotive 340 in tank pump, wires/coils, mac long tubes, mac x pipe into slp loudmouth, aluminum drive shaft and pro 5.0 shifter with a RAM clutch and a 3 core aluminum rad. I defiantly have a good base to start with.

DaveWertz

Established Member
kellog crank, .020 JE pistons factory compression, manley h beams, 9 thread spark plug inserts. IMRC deletes, 5 angle valve job, factory recondition heads with cams, cometic gaskets, ARP hardware, areomotive 340 in tank pump, wires/coils, mac long tubes, mac x pipe into slp loudmouth, aluminum drive shaft and pro 5.0 shifter with a RAM clutch and a 3 core aluminum rad. I defiantly have a good base to start with.
And I say 450 to 500 to save my driveline to last longer than normal. I don't beat my shit but do get on it. Just enough to shut some folks up.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
And I say 450 to 500 to save my driveline to last longer than normal. I don't beat my shit but do get on it. Just enough to shut some folks up.
I can relate. That's probably the reason my stock bottom end has lasted as long as it has. The car sees 5lbs often but every once in awhile I'll see 10lbs when I run a gear out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread