Vortech Power output?

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
I have a Vortech V1-SI that the question is about.
Anyone out there have the same headunit and whats there max power output they have been getting on this unit with the upgraded SI wheel?
My minor upgrades as being stock pulley size, Intercooled, 60lbs injectors, cobra tank/hat/pumps, and ba2400 maf I put down 487/442.
I am really wanting to see if it's nearing the max for this unit or I may still have more room to go.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
If you're using the stock 3.6'' pulley with the 6.87'' crankshaft pulley, then you have much more room to grow. You're spinning the blower at 46086 rpms without belt slip if you're revving to 7000 rpms. Max impeller speed for the SI-Trim is 55000 rpms. You could safely drop down to a 3.0 pulley and spin the blower at 55303rpms (little above max safe levels), revving to 7000 rpms. However, these numbers imply no belt slippage and revving to 7000 rpms. Blower impeller revolutions listed above would decrease with lower engine revs.

For reference: Blower Impeller RPM = ( Engine RPM x Step Up Ratio x Crankshaft Pulley Size (in.) ) / Blower Pulley Size (in.)

Vortech V1 Step Up Ratio = 3.45
Stock Modular Crankshaft Pulley Size = 6.87''

Edit: Stock Modular Crankshaft Pulley Size = 6.5'', not 6.87''. Which would make all of the listed calculations wrong (actual impeller rpms would be lower than listed)

7000 engine rpm = 43604 impeller rpm with 3.6'' pulley
7000 engine rpm = 55078 impeller rpm with 2.85'' pulley

Last edited:

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I do have a Riechard Racing 3.0 pulley so I may go with that after I put my rods in this winter.
I very rarely take it to 7000 rpms, usually only to 6500 rpms.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Then you're spinning that blower at 40489 rpm at 6.5k rpm with the 3.6'' pulley, it's got a lot more left in it. You could pulley down to a 2.65'' pulley spinning at 6.5k rpm (55004 impeller rpm). I would assume you would need an 8-rib setup for that, considering the amount of belt slippage you would be getting.

What's your current setup? PSI @ 6.5k rpm? I would imagine a C-Headed 4V with that power output using the stock pulley, no? How much timing is in it? What are your IATs at max rpm(6.5k rpm)?

Last edited:

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
Then you're spinning that blower at 42794 rpm at 6.5k rpm with the 3.6'' pulley, it's got a lot more left in it. You could pulley down to a 2.8'' pulley spinning at 6.5k rpm (55021 impeller rpm). I would assume you would need an 8-rib setup for that, considering the amount of belt slippage you would be getting.

What's your current setup? PSI @ 6.5k rpm? I would imagine a C-Headed 4V with that power output using the stock pulley, no? How much timing is in it? What are your IATs at max rpm(6.5k rpm)?

Currently I believe it is running at 6psi. I don't have a boost gauge for it so I am not for certain.
Its on a 04 Mach 1 with the revised C-heads. Max IAT's I am not certain due to never really looking at that. Last time I checked was when I was down living in FL and them temps were around 50 degrees little less at night.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
You're bound to be building more than 6 psi to put down 487 with a centri. The Vortech SI-Trim should put down at least 2-3 more psi than the standard S-Trim unit and you'd be at 8 psi with the standard S-Trim and 3.6'' pulley. You should be at 10-12 psi with the SI-Trim and 3.6'' pulley, if my research is correct.

Edit: Forgot you stated that you were intercooled.

Last edited:

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
You're bound to be building more than 6 psi to put down 487 with a centri. The Vortech SI-Trim should put down at least 2-3 more psi than the standard S-Trim unit and you'd be at 8 psi with the standard S-Trim and 3.6'' pulley. You should be at 10-12 psi with the SI-Trim and 3.6'' pulley, if my research is correct.

Edit: Forgot you stated that you were intercooled.

Hmm 10-12psi huh. Didn't think it was pushing that much. I guess a boost gauge is in order for me to get so I can find out.
So with the 3.0 pulley I should be near the 20s along with a 10% OD Balancer?

Stanger00

Established Member
Depends on the efficiency of the motor. I have my Si impeller maxed out with 10% and 3.125" and spin the motor to 7k. I have a 2 valve though but the heads are TFS with their bigger cam. I see 16psi at 7k. I think I'm overspending the blower by a couple thousand rpm at 7k engine revs. Good blower. Made 614 hp and 533 torque. No real track times. It back halfs pretty good. Spins the tires below 60mph.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hmm 10-12psi huh. Didn't think it was pushing that much. I guess a boost gauge is in order for me to get so I can find out.
So with the 3.0 pulley I should be near the 20s along with a 10% OD Balancer?

You can use an OBD app like Torque to monitor boost (and many other engine metrics) - http://torque-bhp.com/

App is only $5 and a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter is like $9.

As other have said, it seems like you would be making more than 6 lbs of boost. Granted it was 96 degrees in the shop at the time and it's a safe tune with 18 degrees of total timing but my car made 456/387 on 6.8 lbs of boost with an V2 E-trim.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Depends on the efficiency of the motor. I have my Si impeller maxed out with 10% and 3.125" and spin the motor to 7k. I have a 2 valve though but the heads are TFS with their bigger cam. I see 16psi at 7k. I think I'm overspending the blower by a couple thousand rpm at 7k engine revs. Good blower. Made 614 hp and 533 torque. No real track times. It back halfs pretty good. Spins the tires below 60mph.

Innovators West lists their 10% overdrive crank pulley at 7.25''. With a 3.125'' pulley you're spinning the SI-Trim at 56028 rpm at 7000 engine rpm and no belt slip is assumed.

http://www.innovatorswest.com/804-MOD-Damper.html#tabs-2

Stanger00

Established Member
Mine is a v2. Just adding an anecdote from my experience with spinning my blower beyond its rated rpm to truly max out my engine build with the baby blower.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You can use an OBD app like Torque to monitor boost (and many other engine metrics) - http://torque-bhp.com/

App is only $5 and a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter is like $9.

As other have said, it seems like you would be making more than 6 lbs of boost. Granted it was 96 degrees in the shop at the time and it's a safe tune with 18 degrees of total timing but my car made 456/387 on 6.8 lbs of boost with an V2 E-trim.

I'm sure that app and OBD2 adapter works but not sure on pre 03 models. There has to be some sensor in the intake to measure manifold pressure. If that was the case I'd be picking one up. Looks like a handy little device.

-Mark

VA-Mach1

Established Member
I use a OBD2 adapter on my 03 Mach with a app called 'piston'. It works great for data logging, and reading fault codes but as stated will Not read boost unless that info is sent to the computer by a censor.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm sure that app and OBD2 adapter works but not sure on pre 03 models. There has to be some sensor in the intake to measure manifold pressure. If that was the case I'd be picking one up. Looks like a handy little device.

-Mark

I have a 99 and it works. In a fuel injected car there will be a manifold absolute pressure sensor, aka MAP sensor that measures vacuum. It can also measure boost (if there is any) and since I have a supercharger I can see that in the Torque App.

I also have one of these and it has a built in boost sensor - http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4900-W...kmr1&keywords=aem+boost+air+fuel+gauge+column

Stanger00

Established Member
I am interested to see what a V1 Si can do on a built 4V.
Looking at Vortech comparison chart the V1 and V2 have the same rating for CFM and efficiency. The V1 has heavy duty bearings and can be spun 3k more rpms. This could be due to it having larger bores for a different bearing that has a higher operating RPM. I'm assuming on the last part but to me it's logical on why they installed HD bearings and bumped up the max rpm.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I am interested to see what a V1 Si can do on a built 4V.

Judging purely by the CFM rating. The SI-Trim flows 50 cfm less than the T-Trim. I would assume builds and hp numbers would be similar, with the upper range going to the T-Trim and the mid-range going to the SI-Trim. The SI-Trim would naturally provide a little less peak power than the T-Trim, again due to the lower CFM rating.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I was looking at buying a T Trim but they stopped making them for our cars. The V1 Si has a better efficiency 78% vs 73% to the T, only 50cfm less, and the same step up.

My V1 Si is going on my 02 GT project. Built C Head swap, around 10:1 Car, blower cams, full exhaust, T56 Magnum. Looking for 600-700rwhp on corn.

Users who are viewing this thread