vortech JT trim

JP_Stang

Established Member
I just spent that on my 8 rib setup and it hurt alot lol! But as my wife tells me whenever a car conversation comes up..."do it once and do it right.." I am just trying to be a good husband!

I love your wife! Maybe your wife could call my wife and talk some sense into her? :-D

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
His wife and my wife are the same in that matter.. She just told me "make this the last motor you're going to need, get everything done now so you don't have to do it again later"... Boom.. 20k later... ahahaha... She just said I don't what to know what it'll cost.. Make sure our son, me, and you are fed, clothed, and get me something nice every once in a while.. I met all the requirements.. :D

blackbob

Nurburgring GTO
Established Member
His wife and my wife are the same in that matter.. She just told me "make this the last motor you're going to need, get everything done now so you don't have to do it again later"... Boom.. 20k later... ahahaha... She just said I don't what to know what it'll cost.. Make sure our son, me, and you are fed, clothed, and get me something nice every once in a while.. I met all the requirements.. :D

My buddies wife is the same but a little worst ( or better depending on how you look at it ). She told him "Well why don't get you get better one" for just about everything for his GN he just picked up. I think it's hilarious really.

96snake719

Established Member
Got another question... figure Id just ask it here instead of starting a new thread. Just got my blower today!! looks good thanks blackrob! anyway can I pull my existing blower off and be able to drive my car about 4-5 miles to my house without any issues?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Pull your blower off and run without a blower on your car for 4-5 miles?? Or you mean pull your blower off and put this one and drive to your house?? If it's the first no I wouldn't do it.

96snake719

Established Member
well the car is in storage right now for the winter with no way to really work on it. I wouldnt really be able to tear the car apart like I would need to to mount the intercooler and all the good stuff. But I would be able to just pull my blower off so I can try and sell it to recoupe some of the cost of the new one to buy more go fast parts lol but after i did that i would need to drive it home see what im sayin?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I see what you're saying, and no I wouldn't run the car without the blower. It's going to run pig rich if at all. Drive the car home now and remove the blower then leave the car at your house.

harvboi05

Established Member
8 rib can be done for under 200 dollars just swapped my 95 bird which is identical to a 96-98 gt paid 100 bucks new from ford except balancer which I had off a 5.4, spinning the t trim with 8 rib setup is definetly the way to go and don't look back

so you bought all OEM 8 rib idlers, wp pulley, alt pulley, and crank pulley or scavanged em off of a 5.4? i gotta do more research. ugh, i dont wanna do this but think i have to with my setup too.

OP, drive the car as it is, and then start playing with it once its home.

harvboi05

Established Member
just noticed youre in NY op, you ever plan on making it over the NYIRP? love to see this car run.

01yellercobra

Established Member
well the car is in storage right now for the winter with no way to really work on it. I wouldnt really be able to tear the car apart like I would need to to mount the intercooler and all the good stuff. But I would be able to just pull my blower off so I can try and sell it to recoupe some of the cost of the new one to buy more go fast parts lol but after i did that i would need to drive it home see what im sayin?

You can drive it as long as you don't go past half throttle. Outside of boost it'll act just like it does. But if you go into open loop it'll run rich and fall on it's face.

so you bought all OEM 8 rib idlers, wp pulley, alt pulley, and crank pulley or scavanged em off of a 5.4? i gotta do more research. ugh, i dont wanna do this but think i have to with my setup too.

OP, drive the car as it is, and then start playing with it once its home.

The pullies are off the trucks. I don't know if it has to be a 5.4. I think both the truck 4.6 and 5.4's have the 8 ribs. You can get them cheap at the junk yard. You'll just have to source your own shims. I bought all the pullies new from Tousley for less then $150. But I already had an overdrive crank pulley.

harvboi05

Established Member
The pullies are off the trucks. I don't know if it has to be a 5.4. I think both the truck 4.6 and 5.4's have the 8 ribs. You can get them cheap at the junk yard. You'll just have to source your own shims. I bought all the pullies new from Tousley for less then $150. But I already had an overdrive crank pulley.

i am not looking forward to aligning and 8 rib system.

nyirp is new york international raceway park. its the only 1/4 mile track i know of near buffalo, rochester, syracuse. its just outside of geneseo.

01yellercobra

Established Member
i am not looking forward to aligning and 8 rib system.

It's one of the reasons I never went 8 rib. Even if you buy a kit from someone like GI Joe you have to make sure everything is aligned. At this point I think I'm changing directions so I won't have to worry about belts anymore.

2001sleeper

Established Member
the whole point of GIJoe's 8 rib system is that it comes with the correct spacers. If you build your own kit with truck pullies you will have to use washers to space the blower out until it is all aligned.

And yes you can drive without the blower, just make sure that the you run the normal intake or cold air for a N/A car if you are draw through.

96snake719

Established Member
Ok figured I would bring this back from the dead lol, I said screw it and I deceided to just swap to an 8 rib set up. anyway I just ordered a IW 10 % OD crank pulley (holy shit expensive!) and I hope to be getting a thump racing tensioner. Anyway question is what size blower pulley should I run now? I better be able to get away with just about anything now shelling out that kinda doe for god damn pullies!!! I was thinking either a 2.75 or 2.95, what do you think will this be working a JT trim to hard?

Users who are viewing this thread