vortech JT trim

96snake719

Established Member
Ok guys Im gettin ready to get a JT trim for my car here in the next couple of days anybody run one of these bad boys? what can I expect out of it? It looks like Im gonna be running just a 6 rib set up how bad is this gonna limit me and what size pulley would be good to try and limit belt slip. Thanks

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
eff yea!! are you running this through your aftercooler setup? I forgot.. If you're running a 6 rib still get a big crank pulley.. that's all I have to say lol

96snake719

Established Member
Haha yea I was thinkin about getting one of those 10% OD crank pulleys to try and maybe help a little bit with the slip, and no Im gonna be running it through a treadstone TR25 FMIC. Any idea on piping size and MAF selection for something like this I was gonna run one of those VMP HPX slot MAFs will that be good and in what size pipe should it be in?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn it!! I need to see power gains through the aftercooler!! Someone needs to step up ahahaha. I would just run 3'' to 3.5'' piping depending on how much power you are actually trying to make.. That's a good maf too btw!! ;)

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^^Agree with 98........again! LOL

Great job of getting quality parts man! Your doing everything right so far. I would keep the same size piping for the MAF as you do intercooler piping. Depending on your power level goals and boost levels will determine your pipe size. If you are going big, I would go ahead and go with the 3.5" piping. Hell, with the JT trim I would probably go that route anyway.

96snake719

Established Member
thanks guys! now its just down to trying to figure out how to keep the belt from slipping lol guy I bought it from said an 8 rib set up is pretty much neccesary but I really didnt wanna screw around with that. Guess I have to if I have to though.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Do you have an overdrive crank pulley? Those help out quite a bit. Just remember that you would need to go bigger on the blower (depending on boost goals) and alt. pulley's also. Innovators West makes a good overdrive unit, and Metco sells the larger alt. pulley's. IW makes a 10% and 15% overdrive, and ATI makes some too. With the JT trim or bigger I would try to go with a 15% OD to maximize belt contact.

Just an "FYI", a 3.2" alt. pulley should be good for a 10% and I believe you would want a 3.5" with the 15%.

96snake719

Established Member
I dont have the OD crank pulley yet but I was def. gonna get one for sure! will a 15% pulley fit without having to cut or modify anything? and if I were to run the 15 what size upper do you think I would be able to get away with? I wanna push the blower as much as I can before I start running into problems, its a good size blower might as well try and utilize it right lol guy that I bought it from said it was a neccesity to run an 8 rib set up but for some reason I feel I can make it work with 6 rib for what Im looking for.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I hope you're going to be running race gas or E85 if you wanna push it as much as you can.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Is it a V1 or V2? Vortech has an impeller calculator under the support tab.

10%=7.25"
15%=7.5"

Then just plug in your shift point and find out what upper will get you to the JT trim's "max" impeller speed. That would be the upper I would go with. The V1's were 55K rpm max, but I am not sure about the V2's. 98, do you know?

98, you are running a 15% right? Did you have to modify anything for it to fit? I am sure that the timing point on the timing cover has to be ground down, but I am not sure other than that.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I don't know if the JT is calculated off the V1 or V2.. I would think the V1 though. Might want to call vortech on that one. What I was trying to say about spinning that JT trim to it's max speed is that it's going to produce like 23-25psi lol. You can't run that on pump gas.. Sooo unless you are running a wastegate you'll blow your motor up.

Yes I am running a 15%O/D crank.. I didn't have to modify anything other than the Timing point and it's just ground down a little more than the 10%.. I've HEARD that the water pump pulley depending on which one you have, if the lip is facing outward you might have a issue, but I had no issues at all :D

96snake719

Established Member
Its actually a V7 lol thats why I was wondering because they dont have a V7 calculator? I dont think I would ever even come close to hitting 25 psi with a 6 rib set up, so Im basically trying to figure out what pulley combo to get to put me at my max without out belt slip. Have one of you guys heard anything about the thump racing tensioner? does it do anything for you?

96snake719

Established Member
yea I never even thought about that! pretty much anyway I look at it Im gonna have about $1000 in freakin pulleys good god!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
For what you get from BGG Performance it's worth the money.. They have gone up a lot since I bought my kit, but it looks like the pullies are different now.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
8 rib can be done for under 200 dollars just swapped my 95 bird which is identical to a 96-98 gt paid 100 bucks new from ford except balancer which I had off a 5.4, spinning the t trim with 8 rib setup is definetly the way to go and don't look back

SVTPete83

Established Member
yea I never even thought about that! pretty much anyway I look at it Im gonna have about $1000 in freakin pulleys good god!!

I just spent that on my 8 rib setup and it hurt alot lol! But as my wife tells me whenever a car conversation comes up..."do it once and do it right.." I am just trying to be a good husband!

Users who are viewing this thread