Vortech- Detonation issues on dyno- Need advice

polock4life

Established Member
So I am looking to buy a car... have one all picked out very clean.

Car has a mild 347 which ran great according to owner. He then added a V1 to it pulling 8lb of boost. Car has 60lb injectors and a 340lph pump.

Owner took the car to get dyno tuned and he consistently had detonation issues regardless of the timing. I spoke w/ the tuner and said he had to put 0* of timing in the car due to the detonation which he never had to do before.

Fast forward and the owner states he realized he had stock heat range plugs in the car. He went 2 ranges colder which he believes to be the issue. So he calls the tuner to fix the timing in the tune. The tuner had his software stolen and all of his tunes stolen (I know for a fact this is true as it's a local tuner).

Car has not been re-tuned yet for the above mentioned reason. I guess I need to know if that's a legitimate cause or if there are other possible causes that I should be looking at? I really want to buy this car and am willing to take a little bit of a chance.

Thanks in advance!

projectslideway

Established Member
I would verify correct timing, install colder plugs and verify gap, buy a small can of Torco Accelerator and add it to the 93 and see where that gets me... but I'm lazy.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If platinum plugs were previously on the motor with a large gap this issue could be legit BUT why didn't the tuner at least pull one plug to verify gap?

Users who are viewing this thread