Vortech Coyote vs F1X GTO and 6766 Supra

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Switched fuels and tried to run with the big dogs this weekend.

Coyote - Catless X, Ported boss manifold, Vortech V3 Stock pulley, E85.
GTO - 4xx CI LS, F1X on 14 lbs, E85 (made 850whp on a DJ).
Supra - Stock motor, ATF Level 3 Auto, 6766, E85, 32psi map (Made ~700whp on a mustang at this boost level).

Kiohtee

Established Member
Awesome OP! I've been debating the whole Paxton/Vortech/On3/VMP route lately.

Centri setups seem to work crazy good on these auto 5.0s. Not sure if yours is or not as I haven't watched the videos with sound yet.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Awesome OP! I've been debating the whole Paxton/Vortech/On3/VMP route lately.

Centri setups seem to work crazy good on these auto 5.0s. Not sure if yours is or not as I haven't watched the videos with sound yet.

Mine is an auto. It works well.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Skip the booster and pulley down.

V3 coyotes have been going 9s for a long time. Check out @Dtony on this forum.

You've got room to grow... good runs!

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Skip the booster and pulley down.

V3 coyotes have been going 9s for a long time. Check out @Dtony on this forum.

You've got room to grow... good runs!

Its a stock motor/OPG/Trans/Converter/Exhaust Manifold car. It definitely has room to grow, but I also would like it to stay together a bit longer lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Keep it to 7200 rpm or below.. stay off the rev limiter and let her eat! Its an auto car ... she'll last.

I'd slam a 3.33 on it with that e85 ...

Kiohtee

Established Member
Keep it to 7200 rpm or below.. stay off the rev limiter and let her eat! Its an auto car ... she'll last.

I'd slam a 3.33 on it with that e85 ...

If he's hitting the limiter with an automatic, he's either driving it wrong or has a horribly incompetent tuner. Lol

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've heard a lot about OPGs, but nothing factual backing when they actually decide to let go. Most seem to think and agree it's two-stepping, bouncing off the limiter and missing gears (which goes back to bouncing off the limiter).

I literally never missed a shift with my '11 (very fortunate), was turning it to 7,800 (Boss IM), spraying to 7,200 and was on stock OPGs. This lasted for 30-40K miles and the car was still running strong when I traded it in NA.

Kiohtee

Established Member
see below.

I was afraid of this. lol

Turn down the RPM and she'll live with more boost!

But is outright boost and RPM killing these motors? I haven't been seeing that personally. Plenty of boosted Boss (like OP's car), CJ and GT350 cars are running 7,500+ RPM.

Granted OP's car is a '13 and isn't as strong as the '15+/Gen2 Coyote, but still.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No, not at all. I would actually say he is the premier Coyote tuner.... top 3 at the very least.

As zheisel notes above, the consensus is that rpm and missed shifts is what takes out OPGs and busts the brittle rods.

Truthfully, why these motors break is part speculation .. ... a good tune will make a motor last a long time BUT--- a good tune cannot strengthen your rods or OPGs.

Im just telling you how I'd do it. My coyote car had a Paxton on it at one point so i have some experience with a similar set up. i was not impressed with the tq booster.

If did the centri again, i'd go V3, e85, and a 3.33 for starters and see how that runs. Should be good for about 11-12 psi and trap well into the mid/high 130s.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Fair enough. I'm curious to get my car on the dyno and see what kind of power it makes in this configuration.

I would like to see a 10.6x@135+ this October.

Users who are viewing this thread