VMP TVS vs FRPP TVS physical comparison

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My VMP 2.3L TVS supercharger upgrade has been on the market for over a year now, however there is still some confusion as to what separates it from the Ford Racing TVS.

I have ran a TVS on my personal 2007 Shelby GT500 since December of 2007. After years of testing, tinkering, and tuning on the TVS I found out what works and doesn't work. Back in those days you had to buy an off the shelf TVS, swap out the pulley, and port the inlet to make really good power. This was time consuming and messy. There had to be a better way.

In December of 2010 I launched the VMP Spec TVS. The VMP TVS incorporates everything I have learned about modifying the TVS, in a complete and cost-effective turn-key package, with a 12 month warranty (you loose that when grinding on your Ford TVS).

There are three major differences in the VMP TVS that allow it to perform very well.

The VMP TVS is specially machined to accept down to a 2.500" pulley. Other TVS' are limited to a 2.59" or 2.60" pulley due to the way they are machined.

The VMP blower can be purchased with a stock look 2.5" pulley or an interchangeable pulley system that includes 2.5", 2.75", and 3" pulleys.

1snoutcomparefinal.jpg

The 2.5" pulley makes 17psi, which is the jumping off point for a hi-po street GT500 IMO. A 2.6" pulley limits you to 16psi and requires an OD lower pulley to make any more boost. The VMP TVS still supports the use of a 10% or 15% OD lower pulley, which makes 20-21psi. A 2.6 upper and 10% lower limits you to about 18psi.

The VMP TVS inlet opening is CNC ported to improve airflow into the supercharger:

2inletcomparefinal.jpg

The VMP TVS includes a VMP high-flow inlet elbow as part of the package.

3elbowcomparefinal.jpg

The VMP elbow is designed to match the TVS perfectly. It can be added to the Ford TVS but requires grinding on the blower housing itself, which risks contamination of the blower.

I designed the VMP TVS blower upgrade to be an affordable and well performing package, starting at $3500 for the blower/pulley/elbow or $4000 for a complete kit with tuner, plugs, and idler.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Supercharger Upgrades

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What if we already have a high-flow inlet? Can we buy just the blower? I'd like to go the VMP TVS route but don't want to double buy parts.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I never noticed the difference in casting of the front drive and other parts of the case of both TVS designs. Guess I've never seen them side by side before. Not talking about the obvious inlet change "Q port" on the VMP version, I knew about that. I'm talking about the "Eaton" casting under it.

1snoutcomparefinal.jpg
2inletcomparefinal.jpg

Last edited:

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
It's a good piece, I purchased mine when they hit the market a year ago and installed it as soon as the weather got nice. It simply works as advertised, good power, lots of torque, and no screwing around.

A solid performer for sure.

As a personal note to Justin, have you looked at the Lightning market yet? Build one for my truck and you'll sell at least one, no questions asked.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It's a good piece, I purchased mine when they hit the market a year ago and installed it as soon as the weather got nice. It simply works as advertised, good power, lots of torque, and no screwing around.

A solid performer for sure.

As a personal note to Justin, have you looked at the Lightning market yet? Build one for my truck and you'll sell at least one, no questions asked.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

You know, my friends dad has a lightning that never gets driven, so I already have an R&D vehicle. The crutch of the lightning is packaging, a 1.9 TVS is probably better for that truck, you can get a better airflow path, and better boost curve, make a safe and torquey 450rwhp/550rwtq on a stock block and drive around happy. Probably with the same boost that people are running now with the inefficient 112. I'm just not sure if the market is there to justify the investment. It sure would be a hell of a lot more serviceable than the other upgrades out there, if we kept the factory style over the top inlet. The problem i see with that truck when you go too big on the blower, is the boost curve becomes very peaky. Due to the nature of some other compressors you have to run a lot of pulley to make the torque, but then it runs away up top and makes 16-18lbs by 6k. Stock blower trucks that have been pullied and ported are actually very fun to drive from what I hear.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What if we already have a high-flow inlet? Can we buy just the blower? I'd like to go the VMP TVS route but don't want to double buy parts.

If you already have my Q-port high flow inlet elbow I can discount that from the blower package, just contact me directly for a price. I am running some specials until end of year.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I never noticed the difference in casting of the front drive and other parts of the case of both TVS designs. Guess I've never seen them side by side before. Not talking about the obvious inlet change "Q port" on the VMP version, I knew about that. I'm talking about the "Eaton" casting under it.

Good eye, the difference is where the castings/blowers come from. The old style ones with deeper webbing and no logo are from overseas. The new style, which is what the VMP TVS is, are made right here in the USA. From the housings that are cast, machined, and assembled in Michigan, to the elbows and pulleys which are made by Florida machine shops, you can be assured your money is staying here.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The case of your version looks better than FRPP's.

It also appears that the FRPP case has a larger "dip" in the side for extra IAT2 sensor clearance, not that it's required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread