VMP TVS Install - ATI 5% OD Damper--what is this shim for?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
So I'm doing a TVS install for a friend and wanted to know what this shim was for..

Has anyone else seen it/installed it before? I called VMP and they couldn't really answer my questions other than to say, "just use it"

I'd like a little more clarification before going through the trouble as adding/removing the shim isn't going to be easy the second time around.

Install car is a 2014 GT, MT82

Thanks

CD432DA2-782C-4118-8B03-0D8A174D19C8_zpsgduodj4d.gif

D574E5EA-D5C0-4E30-A9BB-3B61744BADBB_zpsdi6deyfa.jpg

8771F7C3-23F1-460E-95EF-D0C2023B5E64_zpsrd9cutg1.jpg

3F72B325-7380-4F56-9354-42CD243FEC06_zpseyqysfws.jpg

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Yes it's necessary and no it doesn't go like that. Flip the inner ring around.

What inner ring? I'm not sure what you mean. It can only go together one way. There's 2 pulleys and the snub. The snub goes on the crank and the front pulley bolts to the front and the a/c pulley bolts to the back.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It should look like the stock damper, with no huge gap. Keep moving pieces around. Sorry I can't throw a pic of mine up right now

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
It should look like the stock damper, with no huge gap. Keep moving pieces around. Sorry I can't throw a pic of mine up right now

Ohhhhh, ya I know what you mean.. Sorry, that pic is deceiving, I didn't push it all the way flush so it looks like it's sticking out quite a bit.

Do you have a tvs and this same balancer?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yes I have the same balancer. The thin spacer is to keep the two pulley halves from touching. They will be only a couple thou from each other. Looks like you have the inner ring on the wrong side of the hub. It ain't rocket surgery man..

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Yes I have the same balancer. The thin spacer is to keep the two pulley halves from touching. They will be only a couple thou from each other. Looks like you have the inner ring on the wrong side of the hub. It ain't rocket surgery man..

I'm aware it's not "rocket surgery". As I already said, the pics are deceiving as the parts aren't pushed together--they're not flush, so you can see the shim in the picture for reference. The first and second pictures are the same, with the 2nd picture just showing the orientation of the front pulley. The parts can only go together one way.

I will say that I don't believe the shim is there to keep the pulleys from touching each other. With the shim not in place, the halves still don't touch each other. I have the same ATI balancer on my car with the a/c pulley, and it did not come with a shim. I've also spoken with a lot of other people--some do, some do not have the shim which brings this thread into question.

VMP said to use it, so I'm going to use it--I just wanted to understand why it's there in the first place when they could have just machined the pulley a little thicker and not had a reason for the shim in the first place. It just seems odd

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Pretty sure the shim is there for belt alignment, heard someone talk about it before just can't find the thread.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Pretty sure the shim is there for belt alignment, heard someone talk about it before just can't find the thread.

Ya just seems odd that they wouldn't just made the a/c pulley that much thicker instead of requiring a shim.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Ya just seems odd that they wouldn't just made the a/c pulley that much thicker instead of requiring a shim.

I'm sure they use that pulley on many different applications and instead of making a new mold or jig they just add a shim.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes it's necessary and no it doesn't go like that. Flip the inner ring around.

What he said. Now I know why you were so confused on the phone and seemed so put-out by my response, it definitely should not look like the picture.

We've played with belt alignment on the 8-rib setup a few different ways to try and account for ac clutches and spacing the spider out, so as some alluded to, the shim was there to allow some flexibility, but at this point, every setup needs it. The next run of parts will have it built in.

I'm picking up the last piece of the 8-rib puzzle from the nickel platers next week, we have to do some light assembly work, and then we can start shipping out full kits.

Users who are viewing this thread