VMP Stage 2... Dyno numbers seem low...

sleeper02

Established Member
Had my car dynoed today and I expected my numbers to come out a little higher. Justin has provided one revision, but im going to submit another to have it checked. The final was 569whp and 501 wtq. I was expecting more towards the area of 600whp with an 82mm pulley through a manual, but maybe this is normal. All pulls were perfomed on a dynojet.

My ride is a 2014 GT M6 with 3.73s

My setup is the following:

VMP GEN 2 Stage 2
93 octane conservative tune
82mm pulley
60mm dual tb
127mm carbon JLT
47lb injectors
VMP BAP
Brisk Plugs
170 deg thermostat
lethal 3" O/R X-pipe
Res delete
corsa extremes

The first pull showed a max of 1.17 knock after 6k (but no knock below), and made 569whp. The second pull being slightly heat soaked pulled timing at 6400 rpms and made 550whp. Air/fuel was a consistent 11.5 on the dyno and I see 11.7 to 11.9 on the road during pulls. I use an Afr500 with an NTK Wideband Sensor.

The fella who did the pulls told me I may need to pull a degree of timing after 6k and add 3% more fuel to keep it happy and safe. Ill contact Justin and see what he has to say.

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
e85 is the real way to see power on a boosted motor.. get rid of the junk gas.. and get a proper fuel system, probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's what i'd do to get it over 650-700 rwhp..

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Your mod list says conservative tune...

Your timing should be around 17* and your lambda at .81... If it's pulling timing then you need to try a different gas station.

Dyno's are just tuning tools, take it to the track and see what it traps at.

vortecd

Established Member
I wish people wouldn't get so hung up on dyno numbers. Like scott said, take it to the track, the dyno is just for tuning

My recent dyno trip I only made 568 on a mustang dyno. My car trapped 133 weighing 4000 pounds last weekend at the track

sleeper02

Established Member
I live in Jersey so E85 is a no go. I may grab some Torco though and let her eat I just want her to be safe to make the pass. Im taking her to the track next Friday so ill post the results. Thanks for the advice.

q6543

Established Member
Aren't the 47s your problem?
Bigger injectors would le you pull more rpm. Your talking 6k, im thinking 7.5k.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I ran 47's without a BAP and had no problem pulling to 7500rpm with mine last year. It went high 10's with a 82mm and auto trans.

cjd223

Established Member
Scott, I find it amusing that some of the name brand tuners are a little "odd" in their thinking. One told me I would run out of fuel with the 47s and a 79mm pulley. Really!! STFT was still taking away fuel at 7200 rpms = .9. Another told a friend of mine he must have a BAP for his 2.9 Whipple with stock pulley and ID1000 injectors. Several were adamant in their refusal to tune Ford 80# injectors. Heaven forbid they try to tune the 95# EV14 Ford/Bosch injectors. Strange that Justin/VMP has no issues with tuning the 56# injectors.
Seems like your tuner can make the Ford 80# injectors drive like stock. What size are you running with E85?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Your mod list says conservative tune...

Your timing should be around 17* and your lambda at .81... If it's pulling timing then you need to try a different gas station.

Dyno's are just tuning tools, take it to the track and see what it traps at.

Yep...pretty much.

Scott, I find it amusing that some of the name brand tuners are a little "odd" in their thinking. One told me I would run out of fuel with the 47s and a 79mm pulley. Really!! STFT was still taking away fuel at 7200 rpms = .9. Another told a friend of mine he must have a BAP for his 2.9 Whipple with stock pulley and ID1000 injectors. Several were adamant in their refusal to tune Ford 80# injectors. Heaven forbid they try to tune the 95# EV14 Ford/Bosch injectors. Strange that Justin/VMP has no issues with tuning the 56# injectors.
Seems like your tuner can make the Ford 80# injectors drive like stock. What size are you running with E85?

We use 47's for 82mm and stock lower at sea level. With a 79mm we'd use 56s or a fuel pump booster. We use 56s as the standard in all the 2015 blower kits, regardless of pulley/boost.

The question re your short terms would be why....and how were the long terms?

The 2.9 and 1000's would be fine...depending on boost...with no bap in our opinion.

80s suck. Do they deliver sufficient fuel? Yes. Do they meter well? No. Ford will tell you that they were mainstays in the CJ project and great at wot. No so much running around. They also tended to 'dribble' when they were at rest. But they're cheap so people buy them.

And yes, we use and tune 56s a lot. They're also standard fare for our higher hp GT500 kits with the IDs being an upgrade/option.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have the same stock type drivability with my cheap FRPP 80# injectors at just shy of 800whp as I did with the 47's at 600. I have no complaints, but the final word comes from who ever is tuning it.

cjd223

Established Member
BJ, still waiting on my tunes. Injectors and pulley are still in the box. I had to cancel my dyno session.

Last edited:

TVSF150FX4

Established Member
I live in Jersey so E85 is a no go. I may grab some Torco though and let her eat I just want her to be safe to make the pass. Im taking her to the track next Friday so ill post the results. Thanks for the advice.

Where in NJ are u? There are a couple of E85 stations in north Jersey, in Newark and East Orange

sleeper02

Established Member
In regards to e85, Im not far from the stations in Newark and East Orange, but I dont have a garage to store a drum, and I dont want to be caught one day running low and being SOL. With that said, I wish to remain pump gas.

I agree that dynos are tuning tools, but thats why I posted in the first place. After my first real pull in the car, I actually expected more from it. I just wanted to make sure what I was experiencing was normal from my setup, and if it is, I think its time to think about the rest of the stage 3 upgrades with a 79mm pulley, OPGs and some longtubes. Its only been a month and I already want more...

Heading to the strip this week. Ill post my results.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
That "I already want more" feeling never goes away! Lol! I'm running mid 9's & still have the same feeling! :)

sleeper02

Established Member
Im starting to believe this Scott. Still, I have nothing but great things to say about Justin, BJ and the crew at VMP. I couldnt have made a better choice for forced induction that fits my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread