VMP Single Fuel Bump Booster wiring install?

RSAGT500

Established Member
The instructions aren't clear and I'm sure Bj is asleep right now and won't be able to answer till tomorrow. But I dug into the wiring tonight and was hoping someone on here would be able to answer the question real quick so I could get the car back together. I bought the single VMP booster and I know I that I need to wire it to both FPDMs, but do I also wire the power wire to both power wires or only to the drivers side wire.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
DaFreak would know this, do a google search and his thread should show up...why not try wiring into both first? Lol

RSAGT500

Established Member
Thanks! My electrical gut instinct is to wire both power wires into it as I think the draw would be too much for one line. But I've called it quits for the night and will wait for Bj to respond to the e-mail tomorrow.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
The instructions aren't clear and I'm sure Bj is asleep right now and won't be able to answer till tomorrow. But I dug into the wiring tonight and was hoping someone on here would be able to answer the question real quick so I could get the car back together. I bought the single VMP booster and I know I that I need to wire it to both FPDMs, but do I also wire the power wire to both power wires or only to the drivers side wire.

I wasn't asleep but my wife may not have been happy :rockon:

Glad we got you rockin this morning.

Always easiest to call us or email us directly as we see those immediately versus checking the boards.

bj

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
And the answer was? To wire both or just one? Just Incase someone uses the search function and needs an answer

RSAGT500

Established Member
Wire both power wires. Here are my awesome paint wiring diagram skills:

bap+wiring.jpg

DaFreak

Established Member
Wire both power wires. Here are my awesome paint wiring diagram skills:

bap+wiring.jpg

You nailed it! Just to add to your diagram: the wires going to the fpdm's connect to the orange vmp booster wire. The vehicle power wires (pin 5) go to the red vmp booster wire.

Cheers,
Jeff

DaFreak

Established Member
RSA,

You having battery drain issues? I have killed 2 batteries since the booster install and learned of an alternate wiring fix.

Let me know if you are having the same issue.

DaFreak

Established Member
Looks like we only need to power the booster from the drivers side FPDM (not both) and run a 40amp fuse in bjb #13. I/we can still connect the orange booster wire to pin 5 on the second FPDM to protect/boost the other fuel pump too. Wiring both power lines together enables the circuit to stay "on" due to relay latching.

I now have a project this weekend :rolling:

RSAGT500

Established Member
What about just pulling the fuse for the passenger side FPDM and putting a bigger fuse in for the drivers side FPDM? And leaving the wiring as is. Would that in effect be the same thing as what you're saying?

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
What about just pulling the fuse for the passenger side FPDM and putting a bigger fuse in for the drivers side FPDM? And leaving the wiring as is. Would that in effect be the same thing as what you're saying?

Hmmm, not sure. Seems like it might work but then you'd be pushing all the power for the 2nd FPDM through the booster.

The scenario I'm describing is similar except I'd reconnect the power line (pin 5) on the 2nd FPDM, remove the red wire and leave the orange wire connected.

To bypass all of that I just bought a second booster :) My back can't take another 2 hours of wiring in that position.

G/L,
Jeff

DaFreak

Established Member
So you're talking about running the booster only on one pump in that scenario?

Nope, both pumps would be boosted but the power for the booster itself would be source from a single line (the drivers side module power source).

VNMOUS1

Established Member
You can always call us for tech support (that way it's specific to your car and situation)

321 206 9369

Mon-Thur 9a-5p
Fri 9a-2p
Weekends- Gone racing

RSAGT500

Established Member
To verify I was having this issue I went out and measured the power wire at the drivers side fpdm with the key off and it was reading 17+ volts. I then pulled the passenger fuel pump relay and put it back in and the voltage was gone....Now to rewire it.
Thank you Jeff for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Wouldn't you be back feeding 17.5v down the passenger fpdm 12v power source? Or am I totally not following you? lol

Yeah, you are probably right. I would contact Justin/VMP about this as he was the one to tell me about the relay latching issue.

Best of luck.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread