VMP Justin Saved my Day/Week/Month/Year...

Boozshey

Established Member
So as some of you may have read, I've been chasing what I thought was a boost leak of some sort. I bolted on a Snake Bite blower a couple weeks ago and was excited to watch my stock boost gauge get pinned. After going WOT and the needle sticking to it's stock boost location between 9-10lbs I was a little upset. Jumped on here to ask some questions and experience others have had.

After that, I decided to hook up a mechanical boost gauge which I had laying around from another build. So I hooked it up between the manifold and Fuel Pressure Sensor. It read 15lbs. In my conclusion I thought I had a broken boost gauge. O'well...

Fast Forward a week, I make it to a dyno, expecting to see some super high numbers... at 23* of timing I'm at 539rwhp Un-Corrected!!! I was sad, after doing the correction, I was somewhere in the 560rwho range. Still upset, but accepted my defeat and with the weather being so hot, just felt I wouldn't see high numbers.

On my drive home that afternoon, I just didn't feel satisfied. So I emailed Justin and included my tune later in the evening. I woke up to an email with a tune file... It had been raining so I wasn't able to do anything with the car. Once the weather cleared up, it was my chance. I loaded the tune...

Went out on the streets (in mexico of course) and nailed it. WOT the boost gauge MAXED out instantaneously and held strong. Holy hell was I happy to see that!!! I will be on the Dyno again with'n the week to see where I am at now with this new found 5+ lbs of boost!!!

All this proved to me was that Justin is the man and he held up to his reputation. I am happy I have referred so many to him in the past and those that have reported negative things about him now seem ignorant in my eyes.

Thanks Justin!!!!

Last edited:

Kenneth

Established Member
Good to hear all is well now, i've been thinking about ordering one of his Email tunes to try out.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
great news Bruce... but what changed and what was wrong?

Boozshey

Established Member
Then explain one tune stopping at 10 and the other not?

Also explain then why a new car has to be driven a certain amount before the tune allows it to unlock the pcm? Seems the pcm is smart enough to do what it wants. Why would it be any different.

Don't just say it can't be done with no explanation...

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
the only thought I have as to why the tune affected the boost is that the TB was not opening fully

Boozshey

Established Member
I'm going to looking at the lines a little tonight. I was seeing 15lbs pre-egr valve...

Does anyone know where the stock gauge is reading its boost from?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
If your boost numners are from the factory gauge, then they are just estimates dervided from other sensors. There could have been something goofy in the tune that was either messing with throtlle position or MAF transfer that was causing the factory boost guage to get whacky.

If they mechanical guage behaved that way then I would think it had to be something witht he bypass if the tune alone fixed it.

I guess you will know for sure when you get it on the rollers :)

Depending on your exhaust mods, your boost with the snakenite might actually only be at 15 if the weather conditions are not favorable.

Last edited:

Kimcobra

Established Member
I have to say The tune I got from Justin was dead on, went to a dyno and had the A/F check out it was perfect..I have to say, Justin is good at what he does..I would recomend anyone to call him up for a tune..:beer:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well the boost gauge on GT500s is funny, its PCM controlled based on inferred map from airflow measured by the maf. I didn't look into what was wrong with your other tune, but just went at making you a new tune. Glad it worked good.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Well the boost gauge on GT500s is funny, its PCM controlled based on inferred map from airflow measured by the maf. I didn't look into what was wrong with your other tune, but just went at making you a new tune. Glad it worked good.

well that would answer the issue with the factory gauge, however IIRC, Bruce also attached a mechanical gauge under the hood to check the boost levels. Where do you suspect the boost difference would come to have come from?

Boozshey

Established Member
I spoke with Justin in length about this a couple days ago as well. If I recall, he couldn't say either. Very strange.

However, I will be on the Dyno tomorrow. I will put both tunes to the test and see what was going on.

It also could have been something to do with the other tuner not being familiar with the new Frequency Based MAF's on these cars... I am not that great on understanding the tuning side of these things so I won't begin to pretend I do.

But more to come...

Users who are viewing this thread