VMP GEN 3

Thomas Cory

Established Member
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum and had some questions..... I have a 2012 Shelby GT500 with JLT intake, VMP 67mm throttlebody, 2.5” VMP pulley and a tune to accommodate the intake.
I’m looking to bolt on the VMP GEN 3 blower..... will I need a tune for the extra air coming in ??? Or can I just bolt it on.... I’m not a racer, just an old guy who likes to do a few pulls up the freeway .... your thought please.....

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
For starters.... this thread definitely doesn't belong in the 2020 GT500 section. But that aside, swapping to a new blower you most definitely will require a retune.

HKusp

Established Member
Yeah, as was stated, you are going to need a tune. That being said, you are REALLY going to need more than just a tune. You are going to need bigger injectors ID1000's or 1050X's or at the very least stock 13/14 injectors, and a voltage booster like a Kenne Bell dual boost-a-pump or VMP/Lethal twin voltage boosters to take advantage of all that extra air that Gen 3 is going to provide. Believe me, you are going to LOVE it when you get it all together. Your car will be a much more fun and powerful animal.

Thomas Cory

Established Member
Yeah, as was stated, you are going to need a tune. That being said, you are REALLY going to need more than just a tune. You are going to need bigger injectors ID1000's or 1050X's or at the very least stock 13/14 injectors, and a voltage booster like a Kenne Bell dual boost-a-pump or VMP/Lethal twin voltage boosters to take advantage of all that extra air that Gen 3 is going to provide. Believe me, you are going to LOVE it when you get it all together. Your car will be a much more fun and powerful animal.
Thanks so much for your input, I’ve been building Buick Grand Nationals for decades and now in my retirement learning about these beautiful Shelby GT500’s .... as far as suppliers can you recommend anyone...? VMP, Steeda, American Muscle,?CJ Ponies are the one I’m finding.

Thomas Cory

Established Member
I moved it.
I do have another blower from a 2013 GT500 on hand ... could that bolt up and run without Issues on my 2012 GT500?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
@Thomas Cory do you have a certain power goal in mind? A 13/14 Trinity TVS with a 2.5 pulley, ID1050X injectors and a KB or VMP boost A pump, will get you close to, or over 700whp.
The Gen3 TVS will make more power, but you'll probably have to run Boostane or Torco to really spin it up.

HKusp

Established Member
Thanks so much for your input, I’ve been building Buick Grand Nationals for decades and now in my retirement learning about these beautiful Shelby GT500’s .... as far as suppliers can you recommend anyone...? VMP, Steeda, American Muscle,?CJ Ponies are the one I’m finding.
I am relatively new to the GT500 specific part of this car hobby, as I am an old Fox body guy and I had been previously messing with them and my 7.3 liter powerstroke prior to buying my '09 GT500 in September of 2018. I just messed up my Kenne Bell boost-a-pump a couple weeks ago. I spoke with my tuner and he pointed me towards Lethal performance for my replacement voltage boosters. I have used them (Lethal), American Muscle, VMP, and a lot of my local shops for the basics. If I were you, I would find a tuner you are comfortable working with and express your goals and pick his brain on how to reach them. As I am new to this hobby, that's the best advice I can give you.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum and had some questions..... I have a 2012 Shelby GT500 with JLT intake, VMP 67mm throttlebody, 2.5” VMP pulley and a tune to accommodate the intake.
I’m looking to bolt on the VMP GEN 3 blower..... will I need a tune for the extra air coming in ??? Or can I just bolt it on.... I’m not a racer, just an old guy who likes to do a few pulls up the freeway .... your thought please.....

Welcome.

First your in California. 91 Octane? ..........
If so, than as already suggested, stick with the 13/14 Blower UNLESS you wanna run race fuel or an Octane additive.

If not and you willing to supplement your octane and increase it, than look towards a Gen 3 MAYBE.

Here's a thread to keep you occupied with cool videos and all that. If you do the Gen 3 you will need fuel upgrades and a tune. I would reach out to AED in NorCal and speak to them.

Your probably looking at north of $4600.00 just in parts

Hope that helps

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/vmp-gen-3-vs-3r.1185799/

Thomas Cory

Established Member
Welcome.

First your in California. 91 Octane? ..........
If so, than as already suggested, stick with the 13/14 Blower UNLESS you wanna run race fuel or an Octane additive.

If not and you willing to supplement your octane and increase it, than look towards a Gen 3 MAYBE.

Here's a thread to keep you occupied with cool videos and all that. If you do the Gen 3 you will need fuel upgrades and a tune. I would reach out to AED in NorCal and speak to them.

Your probably looking at north of $4600.00 just in parts

Hope that helps

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/vmp-gen-3-vs-3r.1185799/

Thomas Cory

Established Member
Thanks !! I am in California and want to drive the car frequently, so installing the blower off of the 13-14 gr500 would be the way to go. What other things do I need to consider before installing the 13-14 gt500 blower on my 2012 gt500 ???

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks !! I am in California and want to drive the car frequently, so installing the blower off of the 13-14 gr500 would be the way to go. What other things do I need to consider before installing the 13-14 gt500 blower on my 2012 gt500 ???

Call AED and speak with the person or folks that will tune the car.
At a minimum, larger injectors, and Boost a Pumps to deliver the fuel
YOU WILL NEED A TUNE

Here was my build from a few years ago, done right. Took the car from stock to nearly 700rwhp

I would even consider selling your Trinity and doing a Gen2r on your car. The Gen 3, is really not needed. All my supporting mods are listed, easy to digest

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/bone-stock-to-fully-modded-11.1166686/

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
None of those parts are certified by C.A.R.B. How are you going to get the car tested?

Thomas Cory

Established Member
YOU WILL NEED A TUNE

Here was my build from a few years ago, done right. Took the car from stock to nearly 700rwhp

I would even consider selling your Trinity and doing a Gen2r on your car. The Gen 3, is really not needed. All my supporting mods are listed, easy to digest

Thomas Cory

Established Member
YOU WILL NEED A TUNE

VMP GEN 2 R be ok ? Injectors, voltage booster pump and a tune should be fine correct? I really appreciate your info as well

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You said you have a ‘13-14 GT500 supercharger?
If so, run that and you can make 700rwhp on pump 91.
Do you have a local tuner or shop you Trust?
-J

Thomas Cory

Established Member
You said you have a ‘13-14 GT500 supercharger?
If so, run that and you can make 700rwhp on pump 91.
Do you have a local tuner or shop you Trust?
-J
i do have the 13-14 super charger , I just wants to install it with a tune. Will I need other parts like fuel voltage booster, injectors etc.. with my current mods I thought I could just install it and that would be it with a tune only .... hearing other information from others

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I am not as familiar with the ‘07-12 cars, but I think at minimum you would need stock ‘13-14 injectors. I actually have set from my ‘14.
Does your supercharger have the stock elbow? Your TB will work but you’ll need that part.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread