VMP Cobra Intercooler Core Tech Bulletin

lwood

Established Member
Who else have received an email from VMP with this technical Bulletin? So now we need to remove the supercharger and inspect if the intercooler is damaged and then add the new support rails. Who is going to pay for the disassembly and or time that this will take to fix a defect in their design? I have had an awesome experience with the VMP group but this is not cool. When an auto manufacturer has a recall the dealership address any and all issues in house. Am I wrong?

We are reaching out because you purchased a VMP-SUC037 from late 2020 through March 2023. Order shipped after mid-March include the necessary upgrades, those sent before do not.

VMP technical bulletin on Cobra intercooler support rails

Affected PNs:
VMP by PWR '03-'04 Cobra Terminator 87 mm Race Intercooler core:
VMP-SUC037 (full kit)
PWR-SUC037 (core only)

Cobra Intercooler support rails:
VMP-SUC073

'03-'04 Cobra Race Intercooler to Supercharger bolts:
VMP-HAB000

Issue:
The intercooler flange may be susceptible to deformation or cracking

Solution:
The Cobra Intercooler support rails (VMP-SUC073) will resolve this issue.

Using FEA, we have found that the intercooler support rails result in the flange being two times stronger than without them installed. These rails also reduce the maximum stress concentration on the flanges bend by 38%.

Required field upgrade:
  • Install intercooler support rails.
  • Remove supercharger to access intercooler, video linked below
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJjE-cnCL0
  • Check for any bends in the flange or cracking near the mounting bolts.
  • The support rails are the same for the left and right side
  • If the intercooler doesn't have damage install the support rails on top of the intercooler flange. Use provided bolts and loctite.
  • Reinstall the supercharger

Long-term upgrade:
All kits sold on or after 3/17/23 will have the intercooler support rails included.

Repair / Replacements:
If you find any damage to the intercooler flange please contact sales and support on the phone or by email at 321-206-9362, [email protected].

u9vLsxD4kPmq5uBvleYbl3BQbBiNpLLOQ2zeQ3hi-zTuuOOO_SM2liTTIr7FyMqW25LSkaMzU1s0ksIyxnI3T4eFmzvfky3H0W0iADQvgNeTK2xt04S_G_EY0vtEO-j2-xuHN7Z1rUDuvLjE5fS5OFHu=s0-d-e1-ft

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
At that point I'd image people taking the superchargers off will find it damaged ;) like in picture and then you'll have to contact Vmp

01yellercobra

Established Member
I received the email this morning. Mine is one of their last R&D units so I'm wondering if it's affected.

They're not an auto manufacturer. To be honest they really don't have to do anything except say "that sucks". It's part of the game.

But then I do all my own work and don't have to worry about paying a shop to do anything.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I received the email this morning. Mine is one of their last R&D units so I'm wondering if it's affected.

They're not an auto manufacturer. To be honest they really don't have to do anything except say "that sucks". It's part of the game.

But then I do all my own work and don't have to worry about paying a shop to do anything.

this, it sucks but at least they're making you aware of it and providing a solution. I'd have to imagine the warranty on a blower kit isn't much and even then they're liability is ONLY going to be the parts themselves - they don't pay labor and even if the failure wipes out the motor they aren't going to replace your motor

Albatross

Established Member
I got the email today as well. I’m am pretty pissed off right about now. First I got rammed hard by J2. Then KMJ. Now this shit!! Nobody has any integrity anymore. Once they have your money they don’t care.

I called VMP several times with no answer or reply. I sent an email to them as well. I imagine they have a lot of pissed off people trying to contact them.

In my opinion, if you choose to open a business, you stand behind your product. It’s absolutely unacceptable that their mistake is going to cost me more time and more money. We spent over 1200 dollars on these units because they made them out to be better than stock. Looks like I would’ve been better off using the stock brick. That’s misleading and dishonest. They should step up and do the right thing here. We shall see…

MG0h3

Established Member
No email here and I can’t recall when I bought mine. Think it was 21’.

Still sitting in the box with the blower

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lwood

Established Member
I spoke with them later today. They are sending out the support rails that is supposed to fix the problem but that's all they're willing to do. I guess it's better than nothing. Still not happy.

vr4

Established Member
All of you bitching about it be happy they're doing anything. They really don't have to and very few aftermarket suppliers would even do what they are. Most would just raise the price of the parts and quietly add in the new pieces. Anybody affected can either buy the new pieces or if the damage is done buy a new ic core with the updates.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I see both sides. I would be mad if it affected me. Knowing the product, the use of said product, and the company producing it…I’m not surprised this is happening. Frankly, I’m surprised they even emailed you all and owned up to anything. I would hope they would at least offer the updated parts for free but wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. I’m poor so this will never effect me anyway lol

DCguy

Established Member
I got the email today as well. I’m am pretty pissed off right about now. First I got rammed hard by J2. Then KMJ. Now this shit!! Nobody has any integrity anymore. Once they have your money they don’t care.

I called VMP several times with no answer or reply. I sent an email to them as well. I imagine they have a lot of pissed off people trying to contact them.

In my opinion, if you choose to open a business, you stand behind your product. It’s absolutely unacceptable that their mistake is going to cost me more time and more money. We spent over 1200 dollars on these units because they made them out to be better than stock. Looks like I would’ve been better off using the stock brick. That’s misleading and dishonest. They should step up and do the right thing here. We shall see…

I can understand people's frustration but I think this statement is a bit unfar. They are standing behind their product are they not? They are sending out free rails to people to correct an issue that has been brought to their attention. If your core is damaged they say to contact them and i'm sure they'd help you out on it if not replace it outright. Not sure what more one could ask for.....

These units are better than stock, in terms of cooling. There's no question there. In order to achieve that cooling they have to increase the surface area of the intercooler to the maximum size, therefore reducing the width of the flange.....their intercooler does exactly what its designed to do....not sure what's dishonest about that. Sometimes, no matter how much testing you do with a product, you aren't going to discover every single issue until its out in the real world and in the hands of hundreds/thousands of people. That's not unusual, especially in low volume aftermarket products.

Just grab a buddy, a six pack and pull the blower one afternoon. Between two people you can remove a blower in less than an hour without even rushing.....not that hard of a job.

I'm not a huge fan of VMP if i'm honest, but this is exactly what "standing behind your product" looks like. So kudos to them on that.

Albatross

Established Member
In my opinion, this is not standing behind your product. They are probably just doing this to save their own asses from a lawsuit.

I understand that removing the blower isn’t the worst job in the world. However, what about people with big ass Whipples or custom powder coated engine bays. That adds to the aggravation. Accidents happen as well. What if you’re removing the blower to replace the defective part and a bolt breaks. More time. Or maybe you have to buy more parts.

My car was on jack stands for nearly 2 years. I have been ironing out problems for a long long time. Including issues with other sub par products that I paid top dollar for. The car was ready for its first season finally and now this. I have a family. I work a ton. It’s not as easy for some of us to just find free time. What about the people who daily their cobras. Not a lot of them but they are out there.

I’ve been in the automotive industry for 20+ years. This is not how it’s done. When an auto parts manufacturer knows they have an issue with a part they send out a notice. A warranty enhancement or a recall usually. The notice usually states something along the lines of there is a defect with this part, bring it to us and we will install a new part at NO CHARGE. If you are unable to bring the car to them or have already made a repair due to this defective part, they reimburse you for parts and labor. I currently work at a small independent shop. I recently installed an alternator on a customers Honda. 2 weeks later that customer moved to Florida. Shortly after he moved to Florida that alternator failed. Just a fluke thing. No fault of my own. I chose that alternator. I installed that alternator. The customer trusted our business. That customer already spent the money and had the down time without his vehicle to have his alternator fixed. That’s not very fair if I tell him, sorry bud, I will mail you a new one and you figure it out. The shop owner I work for paid another shop in Florida to install an alternator that day. It was still an inconvenience for that person but we tried to make it right the best way we possibly could. That is integrity. That is standing behind your business.

VMP chose the manufacturer of these intercoolers. VMP chose to produce this product and sell it for a profit. This product is defective. They need to be compensating people for their time and money. If I had to guess, this would cost someone who doesn’t have the skills at least $500 bucks to have someone do it for them. That’s a lot of cash in my opinion. It may not be to some but for others it is. I’m not saying they should just mail out checks but something. Maybe a hefty gift card or a partial refund. Restore my faith in your business somehow. Just giving people parts and saying good luck with that is not right.

I’m tired of people in this industry not standing behind their products. If you choose to open a business you have an obligation to the customer you are providing a service to. That customer is trusting you with their time and their hard earned money. What happened to just doing the right thing?? That philosophy has been abandoned and I think it’s time we voice our opinion instead of saying oh well. VMP made a profit off of selling defective parts. Time to reach into those deep pockets and make it right. If they take a loss they take a loss. That’s part of owning a business. You can’t always be making money. Sometimes you have to take a hit to uphold the INTEGRITY of your business.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I can understand people's frustration but I think this statement is a bit unfar. They are standing behind their product are they not? They are sending out free rails to people to correct an issue that has been brought to their attention. If your core is damaged they say to contact them and i'm sure they'd help you out on it if not replace it outright. Not sure what more one could ask for.....

These units are better than stock, in terms of cooling. There's no question there. In order to achieve that cooling they have to increase the surface area of the intercooler to the maximum size, therefore reducing the width of the flange.....their intercooler does exactly what its designed to do....not sure what's dishonest about that. Sometimes, no matter how much testing you do with a product, you aren't going to discover every single issue until its out in the real world and in the hands of hundreds/thousands of people. That's not unusual, especially in low volume aftermarket products.

Just grab a buddy, a six pack and pull the blower one afternoon. Between two people you can remove a blower in less than an hour without even rushing.....not that hard of a job.

I'm not a huge fan of VMP if i'm honest, but this is exactly what "standing behind your product" looks like. So kudos to them on that.
Thank you @DCguy , you summed ALL of it up perfectly, from the design intent and results, to the customer service end of it.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Rather than address individually I will try to address everyone here that is upset. We are a small family run business, like most in this industry. We feel a profound obligation to our customers. When we found this issue was not isolated to just one race car we wanted to be pro-active and make all of our customers and dealers aware of the fix, and provide updated parts at no cost to them. We have no data beyond that, but certainly issuing this fix will make us aware of any further issues, and we will correct problems as necessary.

If you are local to VMP or can get your Cobra to VMP we will take care of the labor and install the intercooler rails at no charge.

We are located in New Smyrna Beach Florida.

We have emailed everyone that purchased the core direct from VMP. If you purchased from a dealer please email us include a copy of the receipt. Everything should go to [email protected]

PC03GT

Established Member
Rather than address individually I will try to address everyone here that is upset. We are a small family run business, like most in this industry. We feel a profound obligation to our customers. When we found this issue was not isolated to just one race car we wanted to be pro-active and make all of our customers and dealers aware of the fix, and provide updated parts at no cost to them. We have no data beyond that, but certainly issuing this fix will make us aware of any further issues, and we will correct problems as necessary.

If you are local to VMP or can get your Cobra to VMP we will take care of the labor and install the intercooler rails at no charge.

We are located in New Smyrna Beach Florida.

We have emailed everyone that purchased the core direct from VMP. If you purchased from a dealer please email us include a copy of the receipt. Everything should go to [email protected]
Thank you for addressing us, I sent you an email

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm still seeing comparisons between large manufacturers and a small business. Way different set up. Does dealing with stuff like this suck? Yep. Is it part of the game we play at times? Yep. If it don't want to deal with it leave you car stock.

I went through about 2 years of issues with my MS3. I'm pretty sure the engineer I was working with dreaded seeing my name in his inbox. Especially after the warranty actually ran out. But instead he stuck with me and helped me.

I see this as VMP standing behind their product. They found an issue, figured out a fix, and let us know. As I said in my first post they could have just as easily not said anything and let us deal with it.

I'm one of the big Whipple guys that will have to possibly deal with it. Am I looking forward to pulling the blower again? Nope. But I'll do what I have to. Plus maybe it'll make me finish a couple other projects I've been putting off.

If anyone is really that unhappy with the situation then remove the intercooler and put the stock piece back in place. I know of at least two people local to me that would buy your VMP in a heart beat. That should cover any labor cost and you won't have to worry about an aftermarket part again.

Users who are viewing this thread