VMP Boost-A-Pump Issue

termintormike

Hello Everyone:
I have searched the forums with no luck, so I am hoping someone can provide some insight. My vehicle is a 2004 Mustang Cobra with 50k miles. So, to begin, I ordered the VMP Boost-A-Pump kit from VMP. The kit I got had to be spliced into the existing FPDM harness. Once I got the wires soldered in and swapped the fuse, I turned the key two clicks to get the fuel pumps to prime and it does not prime at all. After further struggles, I decided to eliminate the BAP and see if I can get the fuel pumps to prime. It still does not prime even after removing the BAP. I have power going to the FPDM, but do not seem to be getting power after it. I have ordered a new FPDM in hopes that it is just a coincident that it somehow crapped out on me. CCRM is good, all the fuses are good and I am getting power to the FPDM.
Anyone have an idea of what the issue is? I just hope that the FPDM is bad before I start chasing my own tail for hours haha.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the plug behind the bumper is the power plug for the pumps. You can see if you have power there.

You didn't happen to pop the inertia switch did you?

termintormike

I think the plug behind the bumper is the power plug for the pumps. You can see if you have power there.

You didn't happen to pop the inertia switch did you?
Yes. you are correct about the plug for the pumps behind the bumper. I checked there, no power. I also smacked the inertia switch for the red button to come up and pushed it back down; no change. Seems the pumps aren't getting power and the only culprit I can think of is somehow the FPDM decided it didn't want to work anymore. But what I don't understand is, it's not like I got the car started and it just stopped working, I didn't even start the car, just turned the key and nothing. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check the fuel pump fuse in the panel under the hood. It usually needs to be changed to a higher rated fuse when running a BAP too.

Not familiar with a VMP BAP, but does it have a dial on it, is it turned on? On the KB versions, most solder the dial wires together so they are full on all the time.

termintormike

Check the fuel pump fuse in the panel under the hood. It usually needs to be changed to a higher rated fuse when running a BAP too.

Not familiar with a VMP BAP, but does it have a dial on it, is it turned on? On the KB versions, most solder the dial wires together so they are full on all the time.
I replaced the original 20 amp (I believe) with the 40 amp fuse that came in the kit. Unfortunately, there is no power light or anything to indicate this BAP is turned on which is an annoyance. Supposedly, this unit is on all the time so there are no dials or switches that need to be on. What I am confused about is now that I took out the BAP, I am still having no power after the FPDM. Seems to me it has to be the FPDM as everything else checks out. There was no popping sounds, or sparks or anything that could have fried this module and the battery was disconnected during soldering. So maybe a coincidence? My buddy is a mechanic and is going to bring all his fancy electrical testing equipment to see if we can pin point the issue. I also ordered a new FPDM so that will be the first approach.

termintormike

Here is an update: I took the FPDM out and smelled the connector on the actual FPDM and it smelled like burnt transmission fluid haha. I replaced it with a new Dorman unit (not sure how well of quality) and connected the BAP and no issues at all. I did read that they have a "modified" FPDM that can be purchased, but having no luck finding who and where I can obtain that unit from. Still not sure how the original unit got fried, maybe it was on its way out before... I guess we will never know...

Thanks everyone for the insight, that was my issue so I am glad it was a simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread