Viper or GT????

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt
GT.

Same horsepower/torque; mid engine RWD.

Nuff said really.

I believe the Viper has more torque and has 90% of it available around 2300 RPM!...:eek: 500cu inch has it's advantages, plus you could slap a turbo or sc on it and still be less than a GT.

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Have you ever sat behind the wheel of a Viper. The drivabilty completly sux as well as your view over the hood. It handles like a tank traversing a minefield.

Last edited:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by AV8R
Have you ever sat behind the wheel of a Viper. The drivabilty completly sux as well as your view over the hood. It handles like a tank traversing a minefield.

As a matter of fact I have. I rented one, an '01 GTS and loved every minute of it. The question is have you ever driven one? I loved it!, never thought the view over the hood was all that bad in fact it never crossed my mind I as I was shooting down the highway at 150MPH with hardly any effort. The ride was no worse than a Stang with Eibach Sportline springs (maybe even better). You have a Cobra R which has even a worse ride! Granted it's not the easiest car to drive but that's what made it more appealing, it's a torque monster! As far as the handling you must be smoking crack that damn thing cornered like nothing I have driven before (maybe except a 911 Turbo). And I have driven a lot of cars. Can't wait to try an '03 Viper.

Last edited:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by TrueBlue'01GT
I believe the Viper has more torque and has 90% of it available around 2300 RPM!...:eek: 500cu inch has it's advantages, plus you could slap a turbo or sc on it and still be less than a GT.

More torque? they both have 500.

Slap a turbo or SC on it; its still not a GT.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
For comparison about 5000 vipers for 03 and only about 2500 GT's for the next 5 years so thats one reason plus the GT is about 300 Lbs lighter so far unless Ford adds something. The GT has both lighter quicker and more exclusive.:thumbsup:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
More torque? they both have 500.

Slap a turbo or SC on it; its still not a GT.

No, it won’t be a GT but it will smoke it and for less cash and probably more reliable. Let’s face it, it much easier to get all the HP out of a 8.0+ liter more than a 5.4.

The Viper actually has 525lbs. But my real point was that 90% of that 525 starts at a very low RPM thanks to 505cu inch and the curve is extremely flat. Don’t get me wrong guys the GT is a great car it’s just for the money the Viper is a no brainer. As for the looks it’s all opinion and mine is that the Viper looks better also. It’s all mute anyway I can’t afford either car…:(

Last edited:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Silverstrike
For comparison about 5000 vipers for 03 and only about 2500 GT's for the next 5 years so thats one reason plus the GT is about 300 Lbs lighter so far unless Ford adds something. The GT has both lighter quicker and more exclusive.:thumbsup:

Not sure where you got your numbers but I read a new article yesterday that they will be selling over 1,000 units per year for a total of 4500 units, but numbers do change. Still rare but much more than your estimate. And as far as it being quicker, we’ll see I can’t see it being much quicker maybe 2/10 of sec. or so in the 1/4. It has already been stated that it won’t be faster. But who goes 190MPH anyway?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
I am not going to discuss anything further with you, because it will be endless with you praising the Viper and me telling you that you're an idiot, so Ill stop here and let you ramble on about your precious Viper.

Even though this is a Ford site, and a GT section, go ahead, post things about Vipers.

:rolleyes:

Yes the Viper has 525. But it also starts at $83,795.00 per 4adodge.com.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
I am not going to discuss anything further with you, because it will be endless with you praising the Viper and me telling you that you're an idiot, so Ill stop here and let you ramble on about your precious Viper.

Even though this is a Ford site, and a GT section, go ahead, post things about Vipers.

:rolleyes:

Yes the Viper has 525. But it also starts at $83,795.00 per 4adodge.com.

Ok, $83,795 (they can be had for cheaper) vs. $130,000...:rolleyes:

Touchy, touchy, did I hit a nerve don’t get so worked up. You hurt my feelings calling me an idiot, what do you do for a living, paperboy, sorry didn’t mean to stoop to your level. I did say that I like the GT but in my opinion (this is the USA correct I do have an opinion) the Viper seems like a better buy. But as I stated it’s just my opinion and I was asking for other people’s opinions to see why they think the GT40 is a better buy. But it’s kind of like the Ferrari vs. Viper I would choose the Ferrari even though most don’t perform as well but hell, it’s a Ferrari!

Z06KLR

I think the GT looks better, more exclusive, made by ford, mid engine, awsome engine, so I'd chose the GT any day. I reality I'd chose the older style vipers made in the 90s. The new ones are ugly.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
(IMO) GT all the way!

=this whole topic is a matter of PERSONAL OPINION=

and its pretty hard to compare a car that isnt even out yet to a car that already is?

Mike

rezcobra

Established Member
GT all the way-no brainer. Assuming you could afford either. The Viper was a rowdy and mean looking car until the 03 came out. Now what they call a more refined look is more of a wussy look, IMO. As for the horse power and torque, they are basically in the same territory but I'll take a lighter midengined car that sounds like a Ferrari on steroids. The GT sounded awesome when they fired it up at the recent SEMA show in Vegas.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Being able to get a Ford GT and settling for a Viper makes as much sense as being admitted to MIT and selecting Devry. Just the GT racing history makes a world of difference. Then, add performance.

Snakester

Established Member
First off, I really like the looks of the Ford GT(44), and if Ford can keep the actual weight down to 3000lbs, it should be a faster car than the SRT-10 Viper. Plus it will have 3.55 gears, as opposed to the Viper's 3.07 gears, so it should be quick as long as it gets traction.

But the new Viper is a convertible, which I prefer.
There are only 1800 going to be built in '03, and they were all already presold to existing Viper owners in a company voucher program to reduce scalping and price gouging. The '04s are already spoken for as well, so they wil be tough to buy too.

And on that line, I think that Ford will be hard pressed to keep the GT(44)'s MSRP under $125K, and I think that profiteers will be tacking on between $50K and $100K to that price.

This is not a far-fetched guess because cars like the BMW Z8, Porsche GT2, and Ferrari 360 Spyder all had similar price markups due to high desirability and low production volumes.

Being supercharged, the GT(44) will probably be more easily/cheaply tweaked for more power with chip/pulley/exhaust mods, like the '03 SVT Cobra and Lightnings.

But on the other side, many aftermarket tuners are already working on supercharger kits for the SRT-10 Viper to put out 750HP+ for between $7K and $10K, which is still well under the estimated price for the GT(44).

I'd be more than happy owning either car. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread