Vin #'s on Motor/Trans

Steel Horse

Established Member
Hey, I've searched but found no real answers. Is there vin # on the motor/trans that match the car's ? I want to know if I have the original motor/trans in my car. Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't believe so. If the transmission or motor was replaced by Ford, then this info is available through their database.

Here's some info, by the way, I found about checking the VIN when buying a used Cobra.

Identify the Vehicle
Identify and validate the model of the car. Is the car the same car that came with the engine, transmission, interior, and exterior options as the car named on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? To know this for sure, look into some VIN decoders or online services such as CarFax History Reports. Also, independent research of the car's history may be necessary because not all accidents are reported to authorities. The VIN number is a stamped plate bolted to the dash under the windshield of late model Mustangs. Also, look at and verify the engine code. The engine code is the 8th digit in the VIN, and the model year is coded in the 10th digit of the VIN. Also check and see if the vehicle is the stock color paint and notice any and all performed body work.

1) The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a stamped plate bolted to the dash under the windshield.
2) The EIN (Engine Identification Number) is also attached to the valve cover.
3) The Mustang should also have a certification label fixed at the drivers side door pillar.
4) The transmission identification tag is attached by the left side engine-to-bell housing bolt for manual transmission, and is attached to the right side on automatics.
5) The rear differential identification tag is bolted to the rear differential cover.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't believe so. If the transmission or motor was replaced by Ford, then this info is available through their database.

Here's some info, by the way, I found about checking the VIN when buying a used Cobra.

Identify the Vehicle
Identify and validate the model of the car. Is the car the same car that came with the engine, transmission, interior, and exterior options as the car named on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? To know this for sure, look into some VIN decoders or online services such as CarFax History Reports. Also, independent research of the car's history may be necessary because not all accidents are reported to authorities. The VIN number is a stamped plate bolted to the dash under the windshield of late model Mustangs. Also, look at and verify the engine code. The engine code is the 8th digit in the VIN, and the model year is coded in the 10th digit of the VIN. Also check and see if the vehicle is the stock color paint and notice any and all performed body work.

1) The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a stamped plate bolted to the dash under the windshield.
2) The EIN (Engine Identification Number) is also attached to the valve cover.
3) The Mustang should also have a certification label fixed at the drivers side door pillar.
4) The transmission identification tag is attached by the left side engine-to-bell housing bolt for manual transmission, and is attached to the right side on automatics.
5) The rear differential identification tag is bolted to the rear differential cover.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, there is no number stamped on the block for ID purposes. From the factory there is a paper tag glued to the left side rear of the motor, near the oil pan rail, but that usually wears off after a few washings. I am also not aware of any trans tag on or near the bellhousing.

By putting the PATS system in these cars, Ford was able to eliminate the process of tagging (federal requirement) of each individual removable part, thus the reason for no tags or ID markings.
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread