Viking - the GT PP "Bounce" is Gone!

MtnBiker

Established Member
Viking Shocks - the GT PP "Bounce" is Gone!

Installed the Viking Warrior shocks on my GT PP yesterday. Thought I’d share some first impressions. Cutting to the chase … the bounciness of the PP suspension is gone!

2015-mustang-viking-shock-double-adjustable-rear-crusader-valving-for-street-strip-use-7.gif

2015-mustang-viking-shock-double-adjustable-rear-shock-warrior-valving-for-drag-race-use-7.gif

Since several folks have asked questions about the pairing of springs and these shocks I’ll preface this review with a rundown of the car. The goal for my GT is a fun daily driver that let’s me hoon it up on back roads every once in a while. I’m not trying to build a racing car. I’ve left the springs and sway bars stock. I did install the BMR BK048 Delrin bushings on the rear sub-frame (the stock ones were just way too gooey). Great product by the way.

Initial observations: I’ve set up these shocks at the upper threshold of aggressive for street applications (Compression 3 clicks and Rebound 5). The ride quality is dramatically improved in a few ways.

The current shock settings do feel a little bit softer on initial impact but seem better behaved on rebound. There is a “boy racer” quality to the stock PP shocks but after 6 weeks the bounciness was more of an annoyance than anything. The new shocks don’t tone down sporty as much as they add more control and suppleness. The Vikings seem to provide more control over big motions on undulating pavement, especially side to side (see the Smoking Tire GT review at Willow Springs for reference). And over sharper bumps you feel them one time instead of having the bouncy aftershock. Another benefit of the Vikings is enhanced front to back balance - as if both ends have been through marriage counseling. The compression and rebound and even the spring rates "feel" much more even. The shocks also seem to make throttle induced transitions from neutral to oversteer more progressive and predictable. I will say – ultimate grip might be a little lower on the 3/5 setting. Regardless, on a winding back road the car was planted and predictable. And more fun overall. How much those subjective improvements are due to locking down my sub-frame I can’t say – perhaps improving the balance of controlled vs sloppy motion has benefits. YMMV. When I try out the next setting up (C4 – R6) I’ll provide some further review.

As for installation, the Vikings go on easy but you are on your own. The instructions are essentially useless outside of the valve settings. Another quibble, Viking provides a single washer per bolt. Compared to the OEM bolts that have integral washers, this seems like a miss. I’d get 4 additional washers to pair with these more traditional fasteners so as not to damage the aluminum fittings top and bottom. The threaded end comes with a nut and jam nut. Since the nuts are 1) inset a bit into the shock bracket and, 2) both the same outside diameter, it makes a proper “use two wrenches” jam nut setup a little tough. I added blue Loctite and hope for the best. No torque settings are given. I re-used the OEM cap over the threaded end.

Fit and finish are outstanding … almost too much for a part that hides behind your brake rotor. I do a lot of cycling and the fit and satin finish are up to high-end bike part standards. The valves themselves have a healthy amount of twist for each “click” so it seems something non-gimmicky is going on inside. Each click does seem to make a significant change.

Bottom line – the GT is still a blast on a back road and a lot more pleasant to drive to work each day. Once a Viking front strut option is available these parts will enable everything from pleasant touring to a gonzo cross or track experience at a very attractive price point. Happy so far.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Awesome review, thanks for sharing!

I knew you would enjoy them. They are great pieces, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread