Video: Pro Driver in a Camaro ZL1 1LE at Charlotte ROVAL

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The Racing for ALS crew hits the SCCA Track Night in America at Charlotte Motor Speedway in a Camaro ZL1 1LE (@Nightrain) with pro-driver Adam. He runs some great lap times in the ROVAL configuration with both chicanes (bus stops) in place. The brakes got REALLY hot.

Driver/Car: Adam B. and @Nightrain_ZL1 #88 Year/Model: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Color: Summit White Transmission: 6 Speed Manual Engine Mods: K&N Carbon Intake; custom tune HP: More than stock Exhaust Mods: Kooks 2" Long Tube Headers w/ Corsa Extreme Axle-Back Suspension: Stock, track alignment Brakes: Factory pads with Castrol SRF brake fluid Wheels/Tires: 305/325-30-19 Goodyear 3R on stock wheels Other mods: 1LE power steering ducts; APR splitter; Safety mods

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great vid. Now get a GT500 CFTP out there for some sparring!
I was really impressed following a blue ZL1 1LE for a short time on my morning commute last fall. Great street presence and sounded tough.
-J

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Great vid. Now get a GT500 CFTP out there for some sparring!
I was really impressed following a blue ZL1 1LE for a short time on my morning commute last fall. Great street presence and sounded tough.
-J
Owning both a “base” 20’ GT500 and a 19’ ZL1 1LE, I would venture a guess the outcome of a CFTP GT500 vs a ZL1 1LE would be highly dependent on the size of the track and the amount of long straightaways the CFTP had to take advantage of its 110 more hp. The ZL1 1LE still holds a highly respectable nurburgring time and standing.

The GT500 is better at multi-purpose drag strip and track with the magnetic ride. The ZL1 1LE is a track specific suspension.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I just did the GT500 Track Attack there. Pretty cool seeing the in car footage from a professional driver driving the same circuit.

He's a great driver, but only had one session and a couple laps without traffic. I wasn't at the track with them to "car chief." That particular session, they went out with only 24-25 PSI cold tire pressure, which is too low. It took five laps to hit 30. Optimal is 33-35 psi hot.

Owning both a “base” 20’ GT500 and a 19’ ZL1 1LE, I would venture a guess the outcome of a CFTP GT500 vs a ZL1 1LE would be highly dependent on the size of the track and the amount of long straightaways the CFTP had to take advantage of its 110 more hp. The ZL1 1LE still holds a highly respectable nurburgring time and standing.

The GT500 is better at multi-purpose drag strip and track with the magnetic ride. The ZL1 1LE is a track specific suspension.

There are only a handful of people tracking GT500's ( @Goose17 ) and very few in the area. There are tons of Camaro ZL1 and ZL1 1LEs. Some of it is the Camaro ZL1 has been produced, essentially unchanged, since 2017. The value of a GT500 CFTP is almost twice the cost of the Camaro, although supply shortages of the 1LE carbon spoiler are pushing all 2022 models to 2023. You also can't get the Performance Data Recorder option in the Camaro due to shortages, which is essential for a track car.

If anyone wants to bring a car out to Virginia International Raceway July 1st-2nd for Dave's Race, there will be tons of opportunities to compare. I'll be there in my Camaro ZL1 that has most of the 1LE bits minus the shocks. I'm running mag ride with a DSC Sport Controller.

Racing for ALS is also doing a track event at Road Atlanta May 23-24. I will also be there, but Adam and Andrew may not bring the #88 car.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm looking forward to hearing how well your awesome ZL1 1E does at VIR in July.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I'm looking forward to hearing how well your awesome ZL1 1E does at VIR in July.

I'm pretty slow at VIR. I only run there a handful of times and VIR is extremely technical with some fairly high risk/reward sectors. I'd be happy with a 2:05 lap and some of the pros are breaking the 2:00 mark. I love the track and just have a good time there.

Users who are viewing this thread