Video of My Landing on Antarctica

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I hear those C-17s will practically fly themselves. Nice landing! Is landing on ice really as smooth as I hear?

YES smoothest landing i have ever had! most people (including myself) dont even know we have hit the 'ground' untill the flaps (?) open up to slow the plane down. I hear you can actually see the ice flex when it lands.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I never thought any place was colder than minnesota in the winter but I was wrong, you goofy bastards have some balls working in that cold ass place.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I would rather fly on a C5, for some reason they are a much more comfortable ride.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I would rather fly on a C5, for some reason they are a much more comfortable ride.

I prefer to ride in 17's since we take our sleeping bags and pads with us and rack out on the floor. The plane also has power outlet to plug in our laptops so it's great for watching movies.

Lance

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
YES smoothest landing i have ever had! most people (including myself) dont even know we have hit the 'ground' untill the flaps (?) open up to slow the plane down. I hear you can actually see the ice flex when it lands.

I wouldn't say it's any smoother than any other surface. The packed snow actually vibrates the plane pretty good in my experience. The spoilers will pop up to kill the wings lift. You can see them pop up in the video when the mains touch the ground. The thrust reversers deploy to slow us down by directing thrust forward. In the video, you can hear me yank the throttles back into idle and the engines venting the compressed air much like a waste gate. After a couple seconds in idle, the throttles can be brought into reverse thrust to slow the airplane down. There's no ice flex with Pegasus runway since the ice is 200 ft thick there. The seasonal runway that is built right next to McMurdo is on only 8 ft thick of ice. The landing aircraft actually creates a wave in the ice much like on that show Ice Truckers on discovery channel. They are very careful about operations on the seasonal runway and shut it down once the ice starts flexing too much.

Lance

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Ok, when i came in we landed on the ice runway next to the town and it was a very soft landing.

Users who are viewing this thread