Video from Road Atlanta last weekend.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Was a great weekend at Road A last weekend. Just very hot! Temps in the mid-90's with relatively high humidity aren't very pleasant. I ran all weekend, no problems and (like 13CobraToy) I think my brake issues are resolved with 2-piece RB racing rotors, Hawk pads, Motul 660 and custom made, A-arm mounted air guides. I will say the slotted RB's and Hawk combo is a bit loud, and even after bedding the pads on the street, they were smoking a bit the first session. But after that...all good. This was my first time to Road A, so sort of played it a bit safe all weekend, especially in T7 (where a very nice SSG Gen IV ACR Viper wrecked on Saturday) and T12. Next time at this track will be in September.
A few quick cars in this vid. The Viper TA was on Hoosier R6's with a driver well-experienced at RA, the GT3 was quick too and the M3 was driven by a pro-IMSA driver. :nonono:
After Roebling in July, I'm moving to R6's on FRPP wheels.
[video=youtube;IDI7iXyUZvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDI7iXyUZvY[/video]
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Looks like a great time. Are you on the stock clutch?
Yep. Car is all stock except brake upgrades, MM Caster Camber plates and FRPP 5300L springs. Stock F1's...my 4th or 5th set.
I should also mention, like other people, I tweaked the driver's side axle flange. Not sure if it happened when I used to drag race the car, but I decided to replace the stock axles with a set of the hardened Mosers. Not a performance mod, but I feel better with them in there.
S.

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
Seems you really enjoy tracking the Shelby Snor which is funny since people dog it for "poor handling" :)

Next time you are at Road A let me know, my buddy is an instructor there.

SteveWK

Established Member
Great video and awesome driving! You mentioned the RB brakes with DTC 60s were loud. What do you mean by loud?

paul w

Established Member
Yep. Car is all stock except brake upgrades, MM Caster Camber plates and FRPP 5300L springs. Stock F1's...my 4th or 5th set.
I should also mention, like other people, I tweaked the driver's side axle flange. Not sure if it happened when I used to drag race the car, but I decided to replace the stock axles with a set of the hardened Mosers. Not a performance mod, but I feel better with them in there.
S.

Great driving. I'm not familiar with RA but after a few laps, I got your line down as you're quite consistent. Were you in 3rd most of the time, until the back straight (4th and maybe 5th?) Im usually at 155 in 4th and 160-170 in 5th at Pocono.

Another question. With the MM plates, I was only able to get about -2.5 camber. Are you about the same? I had been eating through my front supersports and the plates seem to keep the foldover line a bit higher.

Thanks again for the great video.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Great driving. I'm not familiar with RA but after a few laps, I got your line down as you're quite consistent. Were you in 3rd most of the time, until the back straight (4th and maybe 5th?) Im usually at 155 in 4th and 160-170 in 5th at Pocono.

Another question. With the MM plates, I was only able to get about -2.5 camber. Are you about the same? I had been eating through my front supersports and the plates seem to keep the foldover line a bit higher.

Thanks again for the great video.
I am at -1.7 camber, and yeah, tire wear is GREATLY improved.
Haven't looked at the vBox data from this event, as I really wasn't shooting for lap times but just working on my line. I need some more improvement, and I'll focus on that in September. All in all, a great weekend.
S.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I am at -1.7 camber, and yeah, tire wear is GREATLY improved.
Haven't looked at the vBox data from this event, as I really wasn't shooting for lap times but just working on my line. I need some more improvement, and I'll focus on that in September. All in all, a great weekend.
S.

NO way you haven't at least glanced at your times. :coolman:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
NO way you haven't at least glanced at your times. :coolman:
Actually I haven't even taken the SD card out of the vBox, lol. The vBox will list the "Fastest Lap" during a session, and I do know that they were :44-:45's. Like I said, this was my first time at RA, and it was hot. I really wasn't pushing the car that hard. In fact, I actually pitted in mid-session a few times and sat on the hot pit side with the windows up and the AC blowing. Tracking in the heat sucks, that's why I just upgraded my tow rig and am now planning on moving to a 24-26' enclosed with generator power and AC. Enough sitting around the pits under a damn pop up canopy trying to stay cool.
S.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
No matter how my weekend goes, I will always take a look where my times are. If a track doesn't offer transponders or if I can't use my lap timer on my phone for whatever reason, I won't even go. lol

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
No matter how my weekend goes, I will always take a look where my times are. If a track doesn't offer transponders or if I can't use my lap timer on my phone for whatever reason, I won't even go. lol
Oh I look at my times during sessions, I just haven't taken the time to look at all the data from the vBox. I know where my times were, but I usually look at speeds into braking zones, exit speeds, etc.. I'll do that before I return in September, then compare September's data to June's.
Right now I'm looking to Roebling in less than 2-weeks, then again 4-weeks later, lol.
S.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Actually I haven't even taken the SD card out of the vBox, lol. The vBox will list the "Fastest Lap" during a session, and I do know that they were :44-:45's. Like I said, this was my first time at RA, and it was hot. I really wasn't pushing the car that hard. In fact, I actually pitted in mid-session a few times and sat on the hot pit side with the windows up and the AC blowing. Tracking in the heat sucks, that's why I just upgraded my tow rig and am now planning on moving to a 24-26' enclosed with generator power and AC. Enough sitting around the pits under a damn pop up canopy trying to stay cool.
S.

Ahhh yes, the upgrading begins. From someone that has done the tow truck/trailer upgrade situation, be realistic with what you are doing. As stated, 24' trailer minimum. You NEED 6 lug axles, don't even consider 5 lug. With the weight of your car, a 8 lug setup would be ideal. By the time you add all the crap you take on a weekend + generator and A/C unit you will need the capacity. I would also go to 16" rims instead of crappy 15" rims (actually the tires). Be willing to pay extra for a lighter trailer, as in aluminum, if you can afford it. It will be better for towing and you will get it back on resale in the future. I have a 24' tag and actually wish I had gone 26' or 28' gooseneck. A little more space inside and better towing characteristics.

What did you get for a truck?

Tom

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Ahhh yes, the upgrading begins. From someone that has done the tow truck/trailer upgrade situation, be realistic with what you are doing. As stated, 24' trailer minimum. You NEED 6 lug axles, don't even consider 5 lug. With the weight of your car, a 8 lug setup would be ideal. By the time you add all the crap you take on a weekend + generator and A/C unit you will need the capacity. I would also go to 16" rims instead of crappy 15" rims (actually the tires). Be willing to pay extra for a lighter trailer, as in aluminum, if you can afford it. It will be better for towing and you will get it back on resale in the future. I have a 24' tag and actually wish I had gone 26' or 28' gooseneck. A little more space inside and better towing characteristics.

What did you get for a truck?

Tom
I have already been down this road with trailers when I bought my United UXT, so I have a checklist of what I want. Everything you have mentioned and much more will be on it and I'm leaning toward a custom-built inTech. It would also be somewhat convenient since the dealer (RPM) is in Braselton. I could trailer up on my 18' Aluma tiltbed, trade it in to them and pick up the new trailer at the Sept. RA event.
I traded my '12 Ram 1500 Hemi QC on a '14 Ram 2500 HD Crew Cab Cummins.
S.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread