VIDEO: Bad wheel bearing or something with the diff?

5PointOHNO

Established Member
99 Cobra (terminator swap).

I'm thinking it's just a wheel bearing, but I wanted to get some other opinions before starting to buy parts.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Wow, that IS bad, haha. Unless the lug nuts are loose, it's pretty much gotta be bearing.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Is the nut torqued to 245 ft/lb? How long (if at all) have you driven on it loose like that?

Steve23

Established Member
I mean, if it's limited to up and down play, it could be a toasted balljoint. If it's limited to side to side it could be a horrible inner/outer or both tie rod. However, if it's up/down and side to side play than I'd go with toasted wheel bearing. However, another good test would be to spin the tire, put your hand in the spring. If you feel a vibration that confirms it's a wheel bearing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

5PointOHNO

Established Member
Sooo.... think I found the issue. Last owner must not have used Loctite on the axle nut. It was literally ready to fall off if not for the rim blocking it's exit.

I never drive the thing, it had been sitting in my garage since last November. While getting it ready to drive I noticed some crazy sounds out back.

Anyways, I'm going to locate a 36mm deep socket and re-torque that axle nut back on and see how much play remains. I got the nut as tight as I could with my fingers and the 'slack' was minimal. I imagine this MAY be my only issue.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would replace bearing..it was driven to get nut that far..I would expect the bearing to be toast..

Lowes has a selection of sockets. .I found parts stores were lucky to have large size..

zredfire04

Established Member
the axle nut doesn't have anything to do with that movement...it just holds the cv axle in the hub.

as loose as that is in the video, you should be able to wiggle the hub without the tire on and see what's moving.

Users who are viewing this thread