Very loud gear whine after UCA install, is there any cure?

BMR Tech

I would not say it is a problem.

If someone experiences NVH levels they cannot handle, they need to choose between better performance and less drivetrain flex (increased NVH) or worse performance, and more drivetrain movement / slop (less NVH)

To add, if someone has a 1-Piece DS, it is always best to ensure you have appropriate working angles. If not, you should acquire an adjustable UCA.

99arboC

Established Member
I just installed a BMR UCA and mount and still need to double check my pinion angle and didn't notice any new noise!

john11gt

Established Member
Im going to try and adjust the pinion angle some and loosen and re torque the bolts in a couple days and hope that it quiets it down a bit. I knew to expect some noise and such from installing an UCA but holy shit this is loud at 80 mph, it is all you hear in the car at that speed, Ive been cruising at 70ish now to keep it a bit quieter but its still pretty loud.

I will be buying a ranger in about a month, at least after I buy that I wont have to hear this every day.

I was tempted to put the stock piece back in but the car feels SO much better and more planted with the Steeda control arm, so Ill just have to deal with it for the time being if adjusting the PA doesnt help.

Tyler72

Established Member
Do a simple google search...

The 3.73 gear is 99% of your issue here. Pinion angle (with a stock drive shaft or an aftermarket one with a CV joint at the rear end) is not terribly critical as long as its close. Like Kelly said, by design they can operate smoothly at far greater angles than what we are subjecting them to. The new Jeep wranglers have the same type of joints and the operate fine at a MUCH higher angles with no noise.

Something is wrong with the 3.73 gears Ford produced. If you want to fix it, have a reputable shop replace them with another brand. The Ford Racing ones are just re-boxed production units and they will most likely make noise too.

My car has had the same gear noise as yours, 60-80 mph, since the day it rolled off the line. When I did the suspension it got way louder.

Last edited:

Clipboard

Established Member
Do a simple google search...

The 3.73 gear is 99% of your issue here. Pinion angle (with a stock drive shaft or an aftermarket one with a CV joint at the rear end) is not terribly critical as long as its close. Like Kelly said, by design they can operate smoothly at far greater angles than what we are subjecting them to. The new Jeep wranglers have the same type of joints and the operate fine at a MUCH higher angles with no noise.

Something is wrong with the 3.73 gears Ford produced. If you want to fix it, have a reputable shop replace them with another brand. The Ford Racing ones are just re-boxed production units and they will most likely make noise too.

My car has had the same gear noise as yours, 60-80 mph, since the day it rolled off the line. When I did the suspension it got way louder.

besides motiv is there any other reputable brands?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Harder parts will amplify noise thats already there. Rubber absorbs all that noise, but the deflection properties of rubber suck! Example: i just had my entire rear out and took the liberty of replacing the rubber bushing attached to the top of the rear which connects the uca. I replaced it with a bmr poly bushing and the difference is night and day! noticeable handling improvements, it just feels so much more solid. I picked up a little more noise but its barely noticeable. All the rubber that absorbed noise on key points on my car has been replaced by synthetic elastomer, and one poly bushing. the way the car handles far out weighs the small amount of noise i gained.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I loved the performance gain from my complete BMR rear suspension and gear swap that was done all at once. I had the gears done (reputable shop on here) and they were Motives (after the fact, I know that was likely part of the problem). They tried a few times to get the gears to run quiet (within 50 miles of testing) and I believe they gave an earnest try at it and they've done many a Mustang gear swap so I think it's not their fault.

I'm very reasonable and have dealt with some gear whine before but when the wife and kids complain and ear plugs don't help...it was a little much this time around. This was also my first s197 that I did this to and had the thought go through my mind whether there is a downside (nvh wise with poly) to having all the noise go through just one mounting point vs two on the SN95 I had. It was like a tuning fork cannon aimed right through the bottom of the back seat. No unusual wear and the wear pattern was good. I tried a few gear oils as well but, of course, it was an exercise in futility. Between Redline Heavy Shockproof (the worst high pitched screaming whine), Lucas 85w-140, Durablend 80w-140, OEM Fill, and Royal Purple 75w-140....the Motorcraft Fluid and Royal Purple were marginally the quietest. When it's that loud, you notice small bits of relief.

You know what made it the most bearable and even narrowed up the mph window it occurred in? Putting the stock driveshaft back in a week before I traded it for a new GT. I could have "just" lived with the noise...considering how bad it was before. It was still there, but the radio could mask most of it. It was...ok.

I think it's something each person has to weigh out. Noise vs Performance. My noise was really bad between 45 -65 mph. After the stock driveshaft was put back in, it narrowed further to 50-60 mph where it was loud. On either end outside those ranges, it could be heard some but was it was ok.

Could pinion angle have played a part? I don't know. I left it alone and I'm doubting it. They set it at -2*.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread