VERY disappointed with dyno results...

Blown408 86GT

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine
Established Member
I had the car dynoed today and I am very disappointed. With a 2.93 pulley, Predator tune, Magnaflow Catback and Densecharger Intake, she only pulled 393 rwhp. I figured at the minimum 430...What gives. Another thing I dont understand is with just the intake and catback, she pulled a 12.4 at 115...Not bad at all. With the pulley, she ran 118 once, the rest were 116 mph. I am at a loss...Any ideas?

Blown408 86GT

Established Member
Its the tune which came with the Predator. I looked at the graph today and noticed the torque is close to where it should be...430 range. However, it looks like everything takes a nose diveat 4500 rpm...

BTW--where is HPP located? I'm looking into getting a custom tune once I get my blower ported.

adamb258

Established Member
HPP is located in lewsiville. I am willing to bet the tune is your problem. Those canned predator tunes are junk. Whats yoru a/f?timing?

adamb258

Established Member
BTW a lot of people have problems with those densecharger intakes as well.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I have a custom tune with the predator and put 467/490, So the tune is not Junk, what is your A/F

adamb258

Established Member
not the predator i meant the tune that come preloaded with the predator . Mine was tuned with one as well

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I know its not a Cobra, but on my L, i have the K&N FIPK, TR6s, and 6lb lower, and the place i took it loaded the stock Predator tune, then adjusted the A/F ratio.. Im only making around 380rwhp/460rwtq when i should be around 400/500. I would definitely say its your tune.

Blown408 86GT

Established Member
Wish I could give you guys more specifics...The dyno wasn't equipped with a wide band and as for my timing, its anyones guess...Its what the Predator pulley tune comes with. I'm starting to believe the tune isn't as great as I thought.

Blown408 86GT

Established Member
Nvr_Spds said:
I know its not a Cobra, but on my L, i have the K&N FIPK, TR6s, and 6lb lower, and the place i took it loaded the stock Predator tune, then adjusted the A/F ratio.. Im only making around 380rwhp/460rwtq when i should be around 400/500. I would definitely say its your tune.

Did you get it re tuned?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
you have 2 problems. 1) the densecharger is a piece of crap. Get a good cai and you're golden. (JLT, PHP or FIPK) 2) you need a good tune, the canned predator tune sucks ass; for diablosport I recommend Sambandit aka Scott from www.Milehidyno.com or James from www.rwtd.com

65mph_Roll

Established Member
At Buttonwillow last year I saw two Cobras put down three-ninety-something to the wheels with just CAI's and cat-backs. One also had a tune and made more torque.

390-something and stock pulley.

Something ain't right!

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Blown408 86GT said:
Did you get it re tuned?

No, i havent had the chance yet, because I havent been able to find someone good. I missed the last 2 dyno days out here as well, because of work.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
sounds like the tune and what kind of dyno was it some dynos read low as long as its running at the track what it should be that shows u real numbers for the most part no 2 dynos will show the same numbers the same on the same car i know i have been on 3 different dynos mustang dyno , dyno jet , and a dyno dynamics i think is what it was called but the tune i got helped me out alot i when from a 8.4 at 86 with 2.0 60ft to a 8.1 at 93 with a 2.0 60ft both leaving from an idle i also at first had the preadator with the pulley tune with a good dyno tune u will see some nice results mph shows more to me than the dyno for the most part

Last edited:

Kimcobra

Established Member
65mph_Roll said:
At Buttonwillow last year I saw two Cobras put down three-ninety-something to the wheels with just CAI's and cat-backs. One also had a tune and made more torque.

390-something and stock pulley.

Something ain't right!

With WMS pipe&catback I put down 429rwhp,,yes its true stock pulley..Hooked the predator to it and loaded the pulley tune just to see what it would do,Lost 8rwhp :smmon: added a 2.80 and again loaded the pulley tune 430rwhp.Took the car to RWTD and let James tune it and it put down 480rwhp I think you need to look at the tune..

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Sa-When said:
With WMS pipe&catback I put down 429rwhp,,yes its true stock pulley..Hooked the predator to it and loaded the pulley tune just to see what it would do,Lost 8rwhp :smmon: added a 2.80 and again loaded the pulley tune 430rwhp.Took the car to RWTD and let James tune it and it put down 480rwhp I think you need to look at the tune..

Makes sense with no pulley and preditor pulley tune that you lost HP because it should add fuel and subtract timing.

But, apparently the preditor pulley tune is pretty conservative based on your 2.8 + preditor.

So, you would have been better off with the 2.8 and no predator tune.

I hear with just a CAI and exhaust, that a 2.8 is fine without a tune!?

Users who are viewing this thread