VERY disappointed in the 03

tvguy

Originally posted by treynor
If you do decide to get rid of the SVT, drop me a line. I'll need a donor vehicle for my SVT project, and I really don't care how well the motor is currently running, since there's not going to be much left of it when I get finished with the car :D

Hmm, curiosity has the best of me. What plans do you have??? Details please.
pacotaco

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
103 mph is perfectly normal for 5300ft elevation! Nothing like running at the sea level-1200ft elevation tracks a lot of guys are at. Factory in the humidity and everything and I dare bet the corrected air density alt was even worse. If you ran 103 there you'd easily run 108-109 at sea level. A friend of mine lived in Colorado and had a Lightning. There it ran 14.7@92mph on a crappy day at that high (5800ft) alt. At St Louis it ran 13.4@102 where the alt is around 750ft.
Like other have said though. With the 60fts down to 2.0 your times even up there will greatly improve.

Billy

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
> Hmm, curiosity has the best of me. What plans do you have??? Details please

Mid-9s or better, and streetable.

03DOHC

Established Member
If you do decide to get rid of the SVT, drop me a line. I'll need a donor vehicle for my SVT project, and I really don't care how well the motor is currently running, since there's not going to be much left of it when I get finished with the car :D

> Hmm, curiosity has the best of me. What plans do you have??? Details please

Mid-9s or better, and streetable.
I'll be more than happy to let you mod mine. :-D

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
thanks for the advice and encouragement, i will post the new times next weekend with dr's, better conditions,and some powershifting. besides, what would i trade it for anyway, this is the only new car i wanted!!!......ryan

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Don't worry!

These cars are very tough to launch. Plus your elevation should have a huge impact on your time. Guys on here are getting 2.0 and better 60 ft times on their f1's. If you were to get those times down to 2.0 your car would gain near .6 up top which should put you ahead of the sti. Don't void the warranty just yet.

Ford is making out like bandits on the warranty issue. A friend of mine had to pay $600 a pop for 2 fuel pumps whan they went out. All he had was x pipe, filter, exhaust. If his warranty was not voided why do they still charge? What is the point of a warranty if you have to pay just to activate it?

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
pay to activate the warranty? i have never heard of it. i talked to the dealership today and they said bring it in and give the foreman a ride to show him, but they haven't heard of anything like this. i also asked about drag radials voiding any warranty, his reply was just put the stock tires back on. as far as a chip he said the dealership won't void the warranty but all the svt stuff has to go thru svt and ford, they are the ones that void the warranty if they find out about mods. bascialy remove your mods, and you are fine. i don't know about a chip though since the data is logged in the ecu.

tvguy

Originally posted by BIG RCB
pay to activate the warranty? i have never heard of it. i talked to the dealership today and they said bring it in and give the foreman a ride to show him, but they haven't heard of anything like this. i also asked about drag radials voiding any warranty, his reply was just put the stock tires back on. as far as a chip he said the dealership won't void the warranty but all the svt stuff has to go thru svt and ford, they are the ones that void the warranty if they find out about mods. bascialy remove your mods, and you are fine. i don't know about a chip though since the data is logged in the ecu.

My friend, be careful of what the dealer says and does. A chip can pretty much void the ENTIRE warranty. There isn't a dealer out there I would trust to say they will do warranty work with a different computer chip in the car. The same goes for even being honest and saying you "used" a chip but put back in the stock chip for warranty purposes. NEVER trust a dealer about these issues. NEVER. I assure you SVT will NOT back you with an aftermarket computer program. Be smart, say nothing about yoru mods and bring the car in for warranty work as STOCK as humanly possible.
pacotaco

oldmodman

Established Member
pacotaco, i absolutly felt the boost dump or whatver it is, it feels like i hit the brakes for a split second, it only happens if i wind the motor to6300 between shifts,if i shift @6k it does not happen.

It sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter. The tachs on these Fords all lag behind a couple of hundred rpm. By the time you see 6300 you are passing 6600 and bang, no power when the limiter shuts off your motor.

taronis

Banned
pacotaco, i absolutly felt the boost dump or whatver it is, it feels like i hit the brakes for a split second, it only happens if i wind the motor to6300 between shifts,if i shift @6k it does not happen.
Noah! Noah! Shut off the Traction Control. Err, right. Uh, what's a traction control? It is a device that is 50 cubits.......... oh, wrong device. Try the button behind your shifter.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
You need to practice. I can do those times in my '99 on the hottest July summer day with 100% humidity.

Keep trying. You will get there soon enough.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
pacotaco, i know a lot of the e.t's are driver related, however the mph should have been higher. i think this boost dump off or retarded timing is really killing my runs. compared to my buddies 03 my does this excessively, i wonder if the dealer will fix it? probably not since it is for the "safety of the motor"

If your engine is pulling timing then why was the other '03 Cobra there running around the same MPH and has the same mods?

Sounds like you just need to practice.

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
SNKBTN99 try it in your 99 @5300 ft, and then get back to me. na cobras with mild mods run mid to high 14s here, and its not always the driver. a friend of mine who races sso has run na cobras and cannot get out of the 14s. thanks for the info on the tc i would have never figured that out without your "expert" advice....

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
drag radials installed today, along with practice launching and powershifting all week. 1.9 short times along with at least a .5 reduction in et ARE coming friday night. btw, the comments about tc in my above post are meant for theheyena, and not snkbtn99, my apologies. to all that advised to powershift, you were absolutely correct, since i have been doing it there is NO drop off in boost between shifts, and the car feels tons stronger on the shifts. i know this is good for a serious drop in et and at least 2mph trap speed.

Users who are viewing this thread