VERY disappointed in the 03

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
first time for the 03 at the track on friday night. i finaly got the car broken in and was excited to see what it would do in near stock form (magnaflow cat back, and k and n aircharger only). first run was a 13.93 @103.7, but it bogged on the line. next run i gave it some more rpm and clutch and got my first lesson in wheel hop, even the announcer commented on the wheel hop! agian no big deal, just getting used to my first irs cobra. third run, the car either dumped the boost or retarded the timing between both first and second and sencond and third, and no i didn't leave the traction control on. this run was 14.03 @103. keep in mind i am in alb. @5300 ft, and humidity was a very rare 90%. to top it off i was there with my brother who is an import fan, and a brand new bone stocksti (still had the drive out sticker) ran a 13.35 @100. btw,it was not only my car, another 03 was there and was running 13.7@104, he had similiar mods but 10k miles on the odometer. i was so dissappointed in the car i thougt about trading it before i even made my first payment. i have now decided to go ahead and pulley and chip the car even though i said when i bought it, i wasn't going to void the warranty. the car only has 1300 miles, would you suggest more miles before adding mods,or do any problems with the car show up right away?

tvguy

Um, your trap speed is 103-104. That STI ran all over you yet his trap was 100. It's NOT your Cobra. What were your 60 foot times?? 1/4 mile #'s are mostly decided during that distance. The car is the easiest and first thing to blame, yet it's usually not the cause of low et's.
pacotaco

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
pacotaco, i know a lot of the e.t's are driver related, however the mph should have been higher. i think this boost dump off or retarded timing is really killing my runs. compared to my buddies 03 my does this excessively, i wonder if the dealer will fix it? probably not since it is for the "safety of the motor"

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Originally posted by BIG RCB
pacotaco, i know a lot of the e.t's are driver related, however the mph should have been higher. i think this boost dump off or retarded timing is really killing my runs. compared to my buddies 03 my does this excessively, i wonder if the dealer will fix it? probably not since it is for the "safety of the motor"

Have you tried the boost dump bypass mod? Cheap and might help plus easy to reverse for service .

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
definatly need more practice with the launch. going to hit the track again this weekend with drag radials and some more practice. i also think with the humidity back to normal 20% or so i will pick up at least 3mph. i have a decent amount of experience with live axles but this irs is a whole new ball game!!

tvguy

I agree your mph should be higher. But your times should also be lower with the MPH you have. The last run you mention possible "dumped boost or retarded timing", did you notice anything different with the car or just going by the #'s? Actually, keep in mind 5300ft plus 90% humidity just plain sucks. Considering that, your mph isn't all that bad with those conditions. I'd like to see others that run in those conditions post their times.
pacotaco

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
i didn't want to do the boost by pass mod because of warranty, but if the chip doesn't tune it out i will. what do you guys think of modding @only 1300 miles? should i wait a little longer or order tommow? any of the normal problems i read about on this board show up after say 2k?

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
pacotaco, i absolutly felt the boost dump or whatver it is, it feels like i hit the brakes for a split second, it only happens if i wind the motor to6300 between shifts,if i shift @6k it does not happen.

Angus

Established Member
i didn't want to do the boost by pass mod because of warranty, but if the chip doesn't tune it out i will. what do you guys think of modding @only 1300 miles? should i wait a little longer or order tommow? any of the normal problems i read about on this board show up after say 2k?

You know that a chip (if the dealer finds-out about it) voids your warranty, right?

tvguy

pacotaco, i absolutly felt the boost dump or whatver it is, it feels like i hit the brakes for a split second, it only happens if i wind the motor to6300 between shifts,if i shift @6k it does not happen.

Hmm, maybe a tuner can chime in here. I mean you only have two mods right, the catback and air filter? No need for any chip with just those two. Wonder if it's a fuel problem at that rpm? Sounds like it's just dying on you past 6k. I'm just worried about how to bring this issue up with the service rep. Did you notice this problem before the K&N install?
pacotaco

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
ANGUS, that is the only reason the car is not chipped and pullied right now, but i can't live like this. cobras getting beat by stock imports, i can't let that happen again, it will make cobras look bad! i will redeem myself next weekend in better conditions and some nittos. i have had them waiting, i just wanted to get some times on the f1s.

Angus

Established Member
ANGUS, that is the only reason the car is not chipped and pullied right now, but i can't live like this. cobras getting beat by stock imports, i can't let that happen again, it will make cobras look bad! i will redeem myself next weekend in better conditions and some nittos. i have had them waiting, i just wanted to get some times on the f1s.

Have you ever had the car on the dyno?

Maybe your car has the clogged cats or other problems.
$50 for a few dyno runs could probably tell you alot.

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
pacotaco, i noticed this before any mods, but it does happen more with the cai. the thing is at our elevation i never have problem with fuel, but you are right it seems like the computer senses a lean condtion. i think it will be worse if i power shift. i doubt the dealer will fix it, but a tuner will. like i had said, i just wanted to get some more miles on the car before i pullied and chipped it. it will also do it if i am rolling at 4k and stomp the gas, it will hesitate and then go. i had a buddy in the car that also has an 03 that said my car boosts alot faster than his did when it was stock. at almost any rpm in any gear if i go to wot, the boost guage will immediatly go to about 9lbs and stay there.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you do decide to get rid of the SVT, drop me a line. I'll need a donor vehicle for my SVT project, and I really don't care how well the motor is currently running, since there's not going to be much left of it when I get finished with the car :D

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
maybe it is the cats, i didn't think they would clog that fast but its possible i guess. i needed to get a midpipe anyway, here is my excuse with the wife lol! i have not dynoed the car yet, i have only been getting on it for about 350 miles.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
If it's a momentary drop in boost between shifts, it will go away if you power shift. If it's the timing retarding, that's another story. There was a thread on that topic too but I forget what they suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread