Very Bad Camber Wear

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
When I rotated the tires today after the oil change, I noticed very bad camber wear on the very inside edge of the tire right where it transitions up to the sidewall - the steel cords are showing. This has happened rather quickly as I (1) drive this car less than 5,000 miles a year and (2) rotate my tires every other oil change. It has 58,400 miles on it. Completely stock suspension except for '03 Bilsteins I put on it about 6 years ago from an '03 Terminator.

When I measured the camber, the driver's side was almost 2.5 degrees and the passenger side was almost 2 degrees (these are minus figures). I removed the rivets a while ago, so I could adjust more (no CC plates; stock plates). I moved the struts outward as much as I could and I still have about 1.25 degress on each side, which is too much. If you look at your stock plate, there are three places where the rivet can be on both camber and caster. Right now, the camber location is on the very last position, toward the fender, where the rivet could be reinserted. I whacked it with a dead blow hammer and it just won't move anymore (the wheel off the ground so no pressure on the strut plate).

First, does anyone have any idea what would cause such rapid wear on the inside corner like this? And, second, why can't I adjust the camber more?? It should be between .7 and 1.1 degrees.

Thanks for any ideas....I may have to get CC plates but just cannot see why I can't get more reasonable adjustment from the stock plates. The tires are getting at the very end of their life so they need replaced anyway. But I do not want this happening with new tires.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
no wonder why you have bad tire wear 2.5 Negative is INSANE! The car must feel like crap to drive especially if you don't have a lot of positive Caster.
Honestly CC plates are one of the best upgrades you can do, when I put mine in and dialed in the specs it was a New car, what a difference, that stock hardware is garbage!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
no wonder why you have bad tire wear 2.5 Negative is INSANE! The car must feel like crap to drive especially if you don't have a lot of positive Caster.
Honestly CC plates are one of the best upgrades you can do, when I put mine in and dialed in the specs it was a New car, what a difference, that stock hardware is garbage!

I agree. Never lower the car without CC plates. Shoot even for stock riding the aftermarket CC plate will work great as well.

slick4_6

Established Member
I am running -1 degree camber, 6.5 degrees of caster, and factory toe in settings. It handles great and the tires are wearing perfect. You could probably get away with -1.25 degrees of camber. I was wanting to get -1.5 out of mine but I ended up with -1.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
In addition to the camber, check your toe on that wheel. You may have knocked it out of alignment on a pothole or something.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I am running -1 degree camber, 6.5 degrees of caster, and factory toe in settings. It handles great and the tires are wearing perfect. You could probably get away with -1.25 degrees of camber. I was wanting to get -1.5 out of mine but I ended up with -1.
6.5 Positive Caster? How did you get that much? My struts were slammed all the way towards the firewall and I could only get 4.5 on one side and 5.0 on the other so I settled for 4.5..:shrug:

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. I think toe is OK but I'll check; I set it at 1/8" last year. The passenger side was worn a little on the inside but nothing like the driver's side. We do have a rather ugly stretch of 4 miles to get to the main road here in WV where we live. While I did have CC plates on the car for a while, the NVH was a bit more than my old ears like to hear. I might have thought that maybe some of the rougher road would affect the adjustment but the marks were right where they were originally. My only guess is that maybe I set it wrong to begin with.

It is possible for a strut to collapse and I think I'll check that out, too.

Again, thanks for all the help.

slick4_6

Established Member
6.5 Positive Caster? How did you get that much? My struts were slammed all the way towards the firewall and I could only get 4.5 on one side and 5.0 on the other so I settled for 4.5..:shrug:

I think mine is 6 on the drivers side and 6.5 on the passenger side. I told the guy that did my alignment I wanted all the caster I could get and that is what I ended up with. I wanted -1.5 camber but he told me I didn't need that much that the tires would wear extremely bad. He suggested -.5. We argued over it and when I went to pick it up he told me the most he could get out of the camber adjustment was -1. I think he lied and even though I have a full degree of camber I am getting great wear out of my tires.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
my tires are wearing fine as well with -1 degree of camber but I agree with that tech guy the 1.5 is too aggressive for daily driving BUT great for a road course!

Users who are viewing this thread