NiceCobra

Established Member
My car 2003 cobra vert
Tvs 3.1 pulley 16.5lbs 571/522
Fr diff cover
Mm subframe connectors
Hr race springs
305/35/18 r888

So I've been throwing around the idea of starting to go to the strip starting next spring.

I never really intended to use this car at the track, but now with my job I have a company vehicle and barely get to drive the car. And when I do I rarely go wot on the street in fear of getting pulled over and loosing my license. Then loosing my job because I won't have a license.

So my questions for you guys with aftermarket blowers and a vert.
What mods do you have to "try" not breaking parts every time you go to the track?
Ftbr rear bushing kit?
What roll cages are you guys going with?

Anything else I should know about?

I've never raced at the track so I'm a newb when it comes to this

ctgreddy

Established Member
The single best mod you can do on an irs car to save from breaking stuff, will be a set of slicks. If you dont want to grind your irs knuckle then get a set of 16" wheels and get a bias ply tire for them. You'll hook but have way less chance of breaking anything. I'd say a bushing kit isn't "necessary" but it deff wouldn't hurt.

For cages I have an mm 6 point with swing outs, no complaints.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the response.
Have any idea what cage I could get to still fit a car seat in the back.
I just got married and I'm sure kids will be in the future . Which is why I'm planning on staying with the cobra instead of a z06 or a grandsport

Also the next set of tires I was looking at were the toyo tqs
I will consider getting a set of drag wheels and tires but I want to try out the track first to make sure it is my thing. I'm sure I'll only be going once a month

And I'll need to finally upgrade my stock clutch too I'm sure haha

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
I have a MM 6 point roll bar. You dont want a roll cage unless you are building an all out drag car. As far as the car seat goes your back seat will never be a safe place unless your passengers are all wearing dot approved helmets. I wont even put my dog in the back seat anymore. Having your head ring off the bar even in a very light incident could cause some serious head injuries.
I agree with rest. Bias ply tires will go a long way in saving your irs from launches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiceCobra

Established Member
Hmmm yea, I know a cage will definitely make my car loose value. But I figured I would definitely need one if I plan on bringing my car to the track.

And as far as passengers in the back seat. I see your point.
So pretty much I will have a 2 seat anyway if I go with a cage haha. So maybe the vette isn't out of the equation yet.

Edit
What if the bar has a thick padding on it? How high does the bar sit on the cage? Is it just as high as the styling bar?

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
before you put a roll bar in your car, I'd get to the track and make sure you enjoy it. Also, depending on your track they may not care if you have one or not. Technically I believe a vert needs one at 13.49 which you'll be way under. But some tracks just dont care. There's cars at my local track that have gone mid-low 8's with no roll bar.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Yea I was talking to a guy that goes to this track frequently and he told me they are very strict:
He did say to make a few passes with letting off at the end to stay above 14sec until I feel comfortable making a good pass. Then make one good pass and get kicked off .

03' White Snake

Established Member
I second all of the above. I run Hoosier QTP's in 16" on my car, no grinding, they fit right on. I also run the MM 6pt bolt in with swing outs. Fit and finish is awesome.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Here are a few pics of my cars 6pt roll bar.

20150926_182557_zpsrnrtvw3u.jpg

IMG-20160606-WA0000_zpsd8da4ttu.jpg

20150909_182323_zpsrc1nsjvz.jpg

20150907_132035_zpsoaj0u9m7.jpg

And when I painted it. This is how it can be removed so you can still have passengers in the back.

20150830_234124_zpstscpyugl.jpg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I have an auto-power 4pt with removable harness bar. With the harness bar out and the correct padding on the down-bar, I've let my daughter ride back there for years, even when she was in a front facing car seat. Having a vert is dangerous, having a kid in the back of a 13yr old vert sport\muscle car is dangerous. But I believe on balance, my car is safer for a back seat passenger with the roll-bar setup I have vs no bar at all. Just find a pic of a new edge vert that's been in a roll-over. It's a death sentence for anyone in the back with no roll-bar.

D-MANN

Established Member
7926c696c88ae5e93069431dca5b2e07.jpg

I will add a pic of mine as well.
We could debate on whether its safe to be back there with roll bar padding but ide rather play it safe and not chance it. You could unbolt it and take it out like the other poster suggested. For me it was more than just being track legal. It was about being safe at all times in a 600+hp convertible.

NiceCobra

Established Member
How come you're only spinning 16#'s?

Here are a few pics of my cars 6pt roll bar.

20150926_182557_zpsrnrtvw3u.jpg

IMG-20160606-WA0000_zpsd8da4ttu.jpg

20150909_182323_zpsrc1nsjvz.jpg

20150907_132035_zpsoaj0u9m7.jpg

And when I painted it. This is how it can be removed so you can still have passengers in the back.

20150830_234124_zpstscpyugl.jpg

when I had the 3" pulley installed I hit 21.8 psi on the dyno , went to a new tuner months later and he let off when it hit 19.5 psi and recommended I put a bigger pulley on to lower the boost. (Only running 93"
Put the 3.1" on and saw 16.5 psi peak.
Made no sense to me why my car made so much boost with the 3"

NiceCobra

Established Member
I have an auto-power 4pt with removable harness bar. With the harness bar out and the correct padding on the down-bar, I've let my daughter ride back there for years, even when she was in a front facing car seat. Having a vert is dangerous, having a kid in the back of a 13yr old vert sport\muscle car is dangerous. But I believe on balance, my car is safer for a back seat passenger with the roll-bar setup I have vs no bar at all. Just find a pic of a new edge vert that's been in a roll-over. It's a death sentence for anyone in the back with no roll-bar.

Good points! Got a pic of your setup?

Quick Strike

Established Member
Maybe go on a test and tune day or street car night. Tech is usually a little more lax on those days. You might also get more runs in when less cars are present. It takes a while to get a routine going that leads to consistency. So, the more runs the better.

Last edited:

NiceCobra

Established Member
Yea thats what I plan on doing . I won't be making the plunge on the cage until I know this is something I want to do.

MikeW

Established Member
Maybe go on a test and tune day or street car night. Tech is usually a little more lax on those days. You might also get more runs in when less cars are present. It takes a while to get a routine going that leads to consistency. So, the more runs the better.

I have had few low 11's runs on test & tune days and have never even been though any tech. Maybe not the safest but I did not want to add a roll cage to my vert.

NiceCobra

Established Member
^ yea I've just always heard the track down the street from me is always real strict.
Which I don't blame them . Safety first

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
All tracks are different. I think officially sanctioned NHRA tracks are strict. There are no NHRA events tacking place in El Paso, so my local track does not even tech cars unless it's an official event with cash prizes and to ensure the classes are fair. For test and tune you run what you brung...... I think the only thing they check is if you're wearing a helmet if you car runs 12's or faster.

Users who are viewing this thread