Vert guys

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
My wife is wanting to upgrade from her 02 mustang gt and asked if a cobra vert would be an option. I of course was happy to hear she wants a cobra as a daily lol. She wants a vert cause she thinks she will enjoy it on nice days. I have an 04 coupe so best of both worlds. Those of you that have a vert what are some things you don't care for? Any regrets having one? Anything. Retain to look for when shopping for one? I plan to make a WTB thread and see if anyone would be interested in trading for my 02 harley F150.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I love mine, the vert top is of great quality, some guys have had issues with cylinders and weather seals near the quarter windows, but those are not a hard fix.

01yellercobra

Established Member
While not a Cobra we have an 06 vert. We had to replace the top last year. The guy at the upholstery shop said 7-10 years is about the norm for the tops. And that makes sense since my buddies 03 needs a new top pretty bad. And he recently replaced one of the cylinders. When you look at the car check the back window. If it's separated from the material the top will need to be replaced. It might be a bargaining chip.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Only downside I have noticed owning a vert is the seals around the windows. I just dont go through automatic washes and that makes it a non issue. Never had a problem with them not sealing from just rain. But being a daily keeping the top and seals in good condition would be something to think about. And also make sure the FLSFC are there, makes the ride much more enjoyable.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I used to daily my vert till about 2 weeks ago. I got a beater I'm thinking of flipping and I need to find and fix all the issues before I do.

Anyways - the only thing you will not like about is being stuck in traffic with the manual transmission. If you have an easy daily drive - then it is not a bad daily driver at all; but being stuck in stop and go traffic in this beauty really sucks. That is the only thing I dislike about this car - well - aside from speed bumps. Mine isn't lowered at all but it still seems I scrape a little more often than I should.

For what it's worth - I still have the original top on my car - and it still looks good to me.

dblj32774

DSG Vert
Established Member
I love mine. Original top and it is pristine. The only regret little woman loves it more than me. I have never had any problems with seals or whatever...., yet. I don't daily drive it and only break it out in the winter time on cool nice days.

EB85

Established Member
The original top on mine was in good shape, too. Tight and good color without any rips. Some of the weatherstrips were a little crunchy but that's from rubber aging which you can't avoid. You can get them cheap through any of the aftermarket suppliers no problem. I even drove in the rain a couple times and it never leaked so it was really more of an appearance thing.

Franco

Established Member
I have no regrets with my Vert. No issues with seals or anything like that either. Like braindontstop31 says chassis stiffening is key.
I'm glad I went vert, especially cause it's a fair weather car only.
My daughters enjoy the car with the top down and I suppose that's the most important thing.
Lastly the whine with a ported blower and the top down is straight up awesome.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
My weather seals leak in several places and my hydraulic lifters need replacing. Other than that, the only other drawback is that it weighs more than a coupe. I'd by another one though!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the vert is alot of fun to drive. the suspension and overall feel however, is not as "tight" as the coupe.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Not to highjack the thread but has many people had problems with going to dragstrips without a rollcage? I was just looking and saw it is supposed to be required for anything under 13.49.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I have 3 coupe Mustangs and 2 verts. Here is my take:

A vert top will last a long time - especially if the vehicle is parked in a garage. If it sits outside at home and work, the life will be severely shortened.

Yes, the verts are less-stiff than a coupe, but the benefit of open-air driving can outweigh that.

How much time you get driving top-down depends on your location. I lived up north when I bought my first vert and would find myself driving with the top down, windows up and heat on full late winter/early spring. Now I live in the warm south. Spring and fall are the best times for top-down driving. During the summer, driving with the top-down at night is a good time.

My wife has moderately long hair. With women and verts, expect hair-whipping that isn't compatible with lipstick. She always wears a hat when riding in one of my verts.

I like hammering on my coupes, but cruising in my verts.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I like hammering on my coupes, but cruising in my verts.

That's a key statement right there.

I have had my coupe since 2007. I literally just bought a convertible 2 weeks ago. My wife and I love it. It is so much fun going cruising at night with the top down. My wife knows how to drive standard so we get to enjoy the car together. Obviously with a material top versus a metal top you get more road noise inside the car, but it is not that bad Just not as quiet as a coupe. My top is in great shape and I have no issues with it at all.

So, I agree with Goose17. You want performance and hammer time go with a coupe. If you want to cruise and have "some" spirited driving you cannot go wrong with a vert. EVERYONE in the family seems to enjoy a vert. Guess there is something about putting the top down that appeals to all.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I've found you're either a vert person or you aren't. I don't regret either of mine one bit. Original top on my 90 is in need of replacement. Cobra still looks as good as new.

Full kenny brown bracing on my car made a world of difference. I can pick up a tire on inclines and open and shut doors.

No issues at my local 1/4 or 1/8 tracks. Car runs consistant 11.7's on the eaton and i've never had a word said to me. Going for 10's this year and am curious if they say anything.

Also, top down 160 is about all you want.
Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

funmoneypit

Established Member
Not to highjack the thread but has many people had problems with going to dragstrips without a rollcage? I was just looking and saw it is supposed to be required for anything under 13.49.

You will at a sanctioned track most times. The smaller mom and pop tracks, not so much. I live 30 minutes from US 131 Dragway. They have huge events there and take tech seriously. My '06 GT vert barely broke 13.49 and they told me not to come back. I won't even take my Cobra there as I know it is too fast.

All depends on the track.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
If there is no need for the rear seat - then you can add a WindStop to make the top down cruising experience that much more comfortable - even a highway speeds. I have one and love it - the issue is I have 3 kids that like riding in the car as well so I haven't used it in years.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Love my vert. I have the Kenny Brown full system, strut tower brace and 4pt roll-bar - so chassis flex is greatly reduced. My thought on verts is this - if it's a toy\weekend car, vert all the way - makes driving so much more fun. If it's a daily, no vert. The truth is I hate driving my car with the top up. The visibility and road noise sucks and if you daily it the top isn't going to last. Also the design of the seals on New Edge verts isn't great. My car never sees rain and is only hand washed using rinseless wash, so it's a complete non-issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread