Verizon to Sprint....

jsonic

Established Member
I am looking for some feedback about switching from Verizon to sprint. I still have the unlimited data package with Verizon so I have been trying to keep that for as long as I can because verizons network is awesome. But I am still currently using an iphone 4s I bought outright almost 5 years ago. I considered buying the iphone 6plus when it came out but Verizon is making me buy the phone outright since I cannot sign a new 2 year contract with unlimited data.

Basically I am asking how do you like sprint over Verizon?
Hows the coverage? Do you have a lot of dropped calls?
whats the web surfing speeds?

I am also paying about 100 per month which sucks when sprint would almost cut that in half.

any input is appreciated.

olefafl

Established Member
We were with Sprint for about 10 years. When they started updating towers our service dropped, bad. A 10 min. phone call would drop 4-5 times. When we called about it they just saying we are updating the tower in our area and we needed to wait. They did that with the 3 towers around us, then started back on the first tower. We also had LTE when they turned it on at our house, but then they started updating the towers we lost it.
We switched to AT&T

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It's all going to come down to where you live. Wife and I recently switched from Verizon to Sprint and overall, it was worth it. The ONLY time I notice issues is when I go down to visit my family who live in the middle of nowhere, but since those visits are rare it's okay. In short, Sprints network isn't as good of coverage as Verizon, but it's good enough for where I travel and the savings is worth it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Depends on location. Sprint sucks ass in my area but heard it was great in other’s. Same can be said about the other carriers. If you go thru rural areas, Verizon and ATT seemed to be the best. I have T-Mobile switch from VZW and don’t miss it. Had both at the same time for a month or two and were very similar.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Sprint>all others. I had Sprint for 10 years and had no issues. Unlimited everything for $69 and month. Verizon said they would beat that and i switched over. 1 year later and they are raising the rates and limit data to 3gb a month. First month went over by 2gb and they tried to charge me over $200. I nearly lost it. The minute i get a chance i will be switching back to Sprint. I should have never left in the first place.

I hope that they can 1/2 my Verizon bill. It would be great.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good coverage is the main key, so who you choose should depend on where you live. But also consider where you frequently travel, if that's a factor. I looked into it but the Sprint coverage here isn't as good as Verizon and AT&T, and is even worse up in Maine where we frequently vacation. So I decided to go with Verizon. I would have stayed with AT&T but there coverage here at our house is so bad that I had to use one of their booster devices. And two of them failed over a period of 2 years. So AT&T is a no-go for me as well.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I have had Sprint for 10+ years. Coverage is great where I live but it sucks at my parents house, they live out of the way though. The only time I've ever had calls dropped is while at their house.

bigmoose

Established Member
How much data do you actually use? If you use less than 5GB/mo i'd look into prepaid. I have cricket(At&T network) which gives me 5GB of LTE for $45/mo. They give steep discounts for multiple lines. I run our family plan with 5 smart phones, each getting 2.5GB while I get 5GB and it only costs $110/mo TOTAL, no additional tax.

The hard part about switching to a prepaid is you'll need to buy your phone at retail, or used. Its not bad if you are an android person since you can get good phones for cheap(Moto G). If you are stuck on apple it gets expensive.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Verizon offers discounts for many companies. You can enter your company email to see if you are offered one. I get 22% off per month.

jsonic

Established Member
Bigmoose - Its hard to say how much I use because its still a 3G phone. Sad I know. But I do have another phone that my work provides me which is the galaxy S4 and I believe I used almost 8 gb in one month on it when I first got it.

Scott - I will definitely see if my company gets a discount through Verizon. I know my last job they did but not sure on this one.

Cobrabob - That seems to be the biggest problem is just where you live, I live in a rural area so I might be able to swing sprint but then again I don't want to have crappy service the second I leave the city I live in.

I appreciate the input guys.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Sprint>all others. I had Sprint for 10 years and had no issues. Unlimited everything for $69 and month. Verizon said they would beat that and i switched over. 1 year later and they are raising the rates and limit data to 3gb a month. First month went over by 2gb and they tried to charge me over $200. I nearly lost it. The minute i get a chance i will be switching back to Sprint. I should have never left in the first place.

I hope that they can 1/2 my Verizon bill. It would be great.

They should be able to get close. I did the 1/2 deal myself and the main difference between Verizon and Sprint is with Verizon, you pay up front for the cost of the phone (at least I always did). Sprint puts it in the contract, so it looks like your monthly bill is higher. In my case, I was paying $145 for Verizon (3gb shared data, unlimited talk/text). Exact same plan for Sprint (you have to if you do the 1/2 price deal) my monthly came in at $120ish a month. $40 of that was the monthly costs of the phones because I didn't pay for them up front. Not exactly half price, but pretty darn close.

And this thread just reminded me that I need to print off my last Verizon bill and get reimbursed by Sprint.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Going from Verizon to Sprint is like going from sugar to sh*t.

Everyone I know that has Sprint consistently drop calls, especially in their homes. Screw that.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I actually have had great luck with my Sprint. However, I live in KC and it really does depend where you live. However, I did work on the Sprint world headquarters campus (for another company) and my phone would drop every single call..... go figure. That's honestly the only place in town I have ever had problems haha

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I am considering switching away from Verizon also. Sprint leases its network out to other startup wireless companies, too. It really depends on your location to have good service.

Check out Republic Wireless, which offers no contract, $25/mo for 3G, $40/mo for 4G. Leverages the Sprint network and wifi when in range. You can change your plan multiple times per month, too... so if you know you'll be travelling, you can change your plan from Wifi only to 4G and only pay for the portion of the month you use it.
Another alternative provider is Ting. You can bring your own phone, uses the Sprint network, and you pay for what you use. If you have a light month and use WiFi most of the time? $5 bill that month.

I love these new options. Consumer Reports rated both of them strongly, also.

For what it's worth, I'm waiting for the Galaxy S6 to come out before switching. I called Verizon and told them I had another option and would switch, and they lowered my monthly payment to about $60/mo. 2GB data, unlimited talk/text.

Last edited:

KurtDog

Established Member
You should ask people with sprint around where you live. That will give you a better idea on what the coverage will be like.

I have Virgin mobile for $35/month with unlimited data. In my area the reception for Virgin is just as good as Verizon.

scott_0

Established Member
I personally love Sprint! like any carrier, they have their bad coverage areas, but in my area the service is pretty damn good with LTE, the unlimited data plans area awesome! I have used 8g of data myself so far this month, and we have 5 lines so the unlimited data plan is priceless, I tether quite often on my jail broken iPhone 6 so I wouldn't have it this good on any other carrier

Speedboosted

Established Member
Verizon is the only carrier that has any sort of service where I live, and the 3G is spotty at best. Thank goodness for Wifi! Bad part is that I honestly am not out in the middle of nowhere by any means. I'm 10 miles from downtown Vancouver, WA and about 5 miles from another big city...Sprint and AT&T are garbage for me

olefafl

Established Member
When we had Sprint the service was great until they started fixing/upgrading the towers. So you may have great service today and then next week you can't make a call.

Users who are viewing this thread