Verify a death in Georgia without obituary

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have a semi-odd request - is there any convenient way to verify a death in Georgia without an obituary?

I don't want to list a name in a public forum but one of the Instagram channels I follow had a woman put a tribute to her firefighter husband who apparently died of an OD earlier this year. She showed a bunch of pictures of him and then a picture of their (apparent) baby who was born after her husband OD'ed. Pretty touching tribute and the guy seemed to have plenty going for him.

Anyway, I got a bit more curious about it and tried to find an obituary but couldn't find anything. There was enough info out there to find his addresses, wife's FB page, sister's FB page, even a mugshot but no obituary. The tribute only had like 11 comments on her FB page too and seemingly no family responses.

It almost seemed like a phony death announcement for sympathy/money but who knows though if it turned out to be a scam I'd at least report the post to FB to try to get the profile banned.

It looks like the state of Geogia requires applications/fee and a reason for requesting a death certificate so that is beyond what I care to do but if anyone has a different route to verify a death I'd be curious and can PM the guy's name and a link to the tribute video.

Morgan

Established Member
You could try the social security master death index- but it may not be an option as an individual.

www.familysearch.org appears to have a search page that references the master death index.

#boomer#stalker

Edit- family search is only good thru Feb 2014.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You could try the social security master death index- but it may not be an option as an individual.

www.familysearch.org appears to have a search page that references the master death index.

#boomer#stalker

Edit- family search is only good thru Feb 2014.

Guess that might have helped 10 years ago.

Ehh, not a Boomer, rather a millennial. Stalker? If finding an obituary on a dead firefighter makes me that then maybe so. The real stalker move would be trying to get with grieving widow and new mother and that's not my (current) goal as I have my own kid and wife and am 1000 miles away.

If you found the guy's address you could look up and call FDs local to that address and ask

Video actually showed him with the crew which showed the name of the department. It's a big department and calling would probably raise questions why I'd inquire.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Unless he owes you money, OR you think he slept with your wife...who gives a flying ****?

Tribute just kinda hit me in the feels a bit as a firefighter who had it all and blew it as I've known some family and friends like that.

After that wanted to see if there was an obituary that explained a bit more. Then when there wasn't an odd curiosity took over.

Guess it will remain a mystery and I'll worry about my own life.

Users who are viewing this thread