vehicle decision

stangzor

Established Member
Hey guys, as of this moment I have no vehicle :/. Well, luckily ive come into a good deal of money and I have a few decisions. I've thought about some vehicles and I'm on a toss up... I'm debating between a 2007 f250 turbo diesel fx4 and an 2004 cobra. I want to hear your opinions on the matter. Which one would i be better off with?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Well, you give us absolutely no info on your commuting situations and what you need out of a daily driver, so how the hell are we supposed to give you any suggestions?

usmcrebel

Established Member
between those i would go with the cobra, or you could look at a higher mileage 7.3 PS and build a street/ strip car

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I wouldnt go with a diesel unless i were actually going to work the motor. Pulling a car trailer once a week hardly justifies having the extra expense and maintenance that goes with owning such a hd truck. Is it cool to have a diesel? I suppose. practical? not really.

stangzor

Established Member
My commute is about 25 miles a day. I've always wanted a cobra ever since they first came out. Well' ive been thinking about it and Ive kinda convinced myself a truck would be more practical. I dont want to have to buy another vehicle for a while I want this one to last. if I end up with a cobra i dont plan on getting rid of it. Since this will be my only vehicle I want to make sure it's reliable. How are cobra's on the reliability side??? I know what they're capable of but how practical can they be??? Any advice will help thank you.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My cobra was very reliable however i had a 5min commute each way. I got maybe 200 miles out of each tank, possibly a longer commute where i could have been at cruise control most the time would have helped. I jumped on the onramp at 110mph and got off two ramps later......

I drive 35mi each way and dunno if id want to do it in a Cobra everyday. Probably kill myself trying to overtake a line of 20 bigrigs instead of plinking them off one by one like i have to do now in my 170fwhp beast.

Sarge_13

Established Member
I wouldnt go with a diesel unless i were actually going to work the motor. Pulling a car trailer once a week hardly justifies having the extra expense and maintenance that goes with owning such a hd truck. Is it cool to have a diesel? I suppose. practical? not really.

While I do agree with this post, I personally don't know how people do damn near anything without a truck. It seems as though every time I get rid of one, something comes up and I kick myself in the ass for selling it.

There really isn't anything you can't do with a truck either. Since you are thinking diesel, will you be pulling any type of heavy load with regularity? That's really the only main advantage over a gas truck besides the gas mileage. If you aren't going to be hauling a boat, travel trailer, gooseneck, etc. regularly then I'd go with a newer Chevy or Ford half ton. I was just looking at an '08 Lariat F-150 4x4 with 30k on the clock that they were offering for 29k and it was basically a brand new truck.

stangzor

Established Member
I'm just a fan of the diesels I see what they can do. As far as price wise, i can get an 2007 250 for around 20k all around my area. It's more truck for a less price. Every time I get a car I wish I had a truck....

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Since this will be my only vehicle I want to make sure it's reliable. How are cobra's on the reliability side??? I know what they're capable of but how practical can they be??? Any advice will help thank you.

Im not sure if EVERYDAY my truck is practical, but when I need it its there for me...Ie haul stuff, drive to work, take kids and wife on LONNNGGGG road trips with bags and everything...cooler etc.....now.....

My Cobra isnt practical EVERYDAY, but its there when I need it.....

I honestly would have a hard time picking between the two and picking either a truck or a Cobra.........I would lean towards the truck if its a DD....not by much though

Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member

I disagree completely.
the diesel will get better mpg than the gas motor, it last's longer, can pull more, and on and on i could go.
Extra expenses from my experience and watching my friends ONLY own diesels there are harldy any increased expenses.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
That's too broad of a spectrum to give advice on imho:shrug:
big truck or little car .,.,I recomend a 94 accord wagon, :thumbsup:

Ironhand

Banned
Insurance on the truck will be more expensive as well as the fuel bill. That was the reasons why I bought my first Mustang.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I disagree completely.
the diesel will get better mpg than the gas motor, it last's longer, can pull more, and on and on i could go.
Extra expenses from my experience and watching my friends ONLY own diesels there are harldy any increased expenses.

I'm not comparing only the motors. Look at the entry price just to get into a diesel truck, then look at the price of fuel difference, then look at how long you plan on keeping the truck to break even with buying a similar truck with gas engine.. If your doing light duty work, then your losing money by going the HD diesel truck route.
I'm not hating on diesel at all. I just think that your money ahead by looking at what your going to do with the truck and making an educated decision.

advantages for diesels- higher horsepower and torque, less frequent LOF's, longer interval's between rebuilds, 20% better fuel mileage

Disadvantages for diesels- harder on transmissions and torque converters, costly services (oils and filters), much more expensive to repair then gas, fuel is 30 cents a gallon more expensive on average than gasoline.

Gas advantages- less costly initial purchase, easy and low maintenance, new motors are suprisingly more powerful and effiicent compared to earlier models. fuel is less expensive,

disadvantage for gas- less hp and torque, different powerbands, shorter intervals on services and rebuilds.

This is just some topics i could think of in my head in a few minutes. I'm sure there are a few items i missed.

Cliff notes- pulling trailers day in day out, hauling heavy loads daily, buy a diesel. Otherwise, stick with a gas and save your money.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Big difference between the truck and a 2003 Cobra. One is designed to give you high performance at the expense of not being very practical for anything else, like lugging large object from Home Depot. I understand your uncertainty here. You can only afford one as a DD but don't know which you'd be happiest with in the long run as a DD. I was in a similar situation when I owned my 2003 Cobra. It was a hoot to drive (best car I ever owned) but it wasn't as practical as I needed it to be as a DD. That and I was putting too much money into it. LOL! Anyway, I sold it and bought a used 2002 Infiniti QX4 (SUV). I actually still have it. It has been the ultimate DD for me. Luxurious and comfortable, and able to carry things over the years that my Cobra couldn't. So IMO an intermediate sized SUV might be a vehicle you should consider. If you want performance as well, consider a used high performance SUV like the Jeep SRT8. A few people on SVTP have one. Kind of the best of both world in most cases.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I like the idea of a Lightning as well. You'll have power similar to a Cobra with the utility of a truck. As a dd, I would only recommend a Cobra if you have a short commute and have a girlfriend with a decent size car. I don't know what I would've done over the years with my Cobra when I had to fit a big luggage bag or something from Home Depot or go on a long trip. The clutch in the Cobra is so stiff that if you have a long commute with traffic you'll wanna kill yourself. The trunk is also one of the smallest I've ever seen on any vehicle. Even saying all this, my Cobra has been the best vehicle I've ever driven by far. There's nothing in a Cobra's price range that can deliver this kind of ridiculous power and fun. As far as reliability goes, mine has 64,xxx miles (I bought it at 44,xxx miles) and I've never had to replace anything but tires and regular oil changes. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you. They're about the furthest thing from practical though.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
These are 2 completely opposite vehicles...

You want something sporty and fast? Go with the cobra.

OR... If you want something you can drive all year long and can tow anything you put behind it.. Get the diesel.

The truck will definately be more practical. However, it wont be as fun to drive.

Its all about what you want. It seems to me like you want the cobra though.

Users who are viewing this thread