Van (Revan Racing) is right on the money -- AGAIN `

Brute

Established Member
For those of you who know Van, you are likely to say "Yes, Van is an encyclopedia of information regarding the GT500, he knows how to tailor the car to your needs, and he is 100% accurate, even if it results in less money in his pocket!"

Well, here is my story.

Early on, Van recommended that I start with a basic Griggs rear end. I saw the price, and I said to myself "wow, that is a steep price! I will just override that recommendation and go in another direction."

Just like Slow Pony, my GT500 was not road racing to the degree that I desired. I was developing poor driving habits too, trying to accommodate for the periodic handling weakness of the OEM and other rear-end after market parts for my desired type of driving.

Just like Slow Pony, I called Van about my frustration. With his calm wisdom, Van re-directed me again to Griggs to address my needs for my car given my type of driving adventures --- Autocross (against those pesky Miatas and not-so pesky M3s) and high speed tracks like Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, and Auto Club Raceway in Fontana.

I listened to Van, this time not overruling his recommendation in my mind. I talked to my wife. I bought the Griggs rear end (Watts link, rear Vari-shock coil overs) and the BMR front end.

Before I get to my description of the changes, let's just say that after paying for the parts and the installation by Bruce Griggs himself, my wife said that it was worth every penny. Yep, nobody can get a better affirmation than from one's spouse who is in the passenger seat.

My buddy, who is a seasoned BMW tech who loves to autocross his M3 and who raced his motorcycles at Willow, said "I used to hate flexy-Fords and Mustangs. Now, I want to sell my M3 and get a Mustang!"

With those evaluations, you still want to hear from me after hearing the comments of my wife and my BMW buddy?

You no longer have to worry about your car fishtailing under power. It powers down in a straight line. It turns with authority. It is nothing less than magnificent on the course, and I am not being Irish with a colorful choice of expressions days before St. Patrick's day.

If you think that I am, kindly read the comments of others on this list serve regarding Griggs and Van.

I am putting this detailed report to other members, because I benefitted from Slow Pony's report, which was an epiphany for me. One good turn (pun intended) deserves another.

So, thank you Van for leading me in the right direction; thank you Bruce for being so smart and becoming a friend; and thank you Slow Pony for taking the time to do your post that caused me to reflect and call Van again.

Thank you, Gentlemen,

Tom Leary - aka "Brute"

Last edited:

Brute

Established Member
So the bottom lines, call Van and do the rear suspension right the first time: Go Griggs or Go Home!

And a BMR front suspension is slick.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Congrats and nice info. I always find it funny when I read on sites that think a Shelby cannot go around corners.

There is a suspension setup for all types of driving. Once its install the car is very capable.

BMR Tech

Good stuff Tom!

I wish everyone could experience a chassis/suspension set-up like the one you have chosen to use on your GT500.

I am glad you are happy with it. Enjoy it!

Brute

Established Member
Kelly, thank you also for the BMR parts and your efforts. It meant a great deal to me. You were first class in how you handled my transaction.

The BMR front end is excellent.

Another part of the story is that my BMW friend, with whom you spoke, also expressed a desire for BMR to make suspension parts for BMWs. It was an enlightening comment. There seems to be a market.

Tom

Last edited:

Brute

Established Member
Darkside, you will really enjoy the Griggs suspension. Let me know how it goes. Brute.

Slowponycar

Established Member
So the bottom lines, call Van and do the rear suspension right the first time: Go Griggs or Go Home!

Thats Awesome Brute :beer: Its amazing how these things handle with this setup thanks to :lowdown: Van, Kelly, and Bruce!!! Really glad I could help out. If you get the chance you need to make a trip to Daytona and drive the Road Course :reckon: Cant wait to hear some more about your track events!!!

I also just purchased a Griggs system. It's on the way and can't wait to get it installed.

You are gonna love it!!!! :rockon:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

How does it ride out on the lovely SoCal streets? What area are you from?

I've had mine up at the Willow tracks before and it's pretty solid. Would love getting my hands on the Griggs gear for a better all around package. :rockon:

BMR Tech

Kelly, thank you also for the BMR parts and your efforts. It meant a great deal to me. You were first class in how you handled my transaction.

The BMR front end is excellent.

Another part of the story is that my BMW friend, with whom you spoke, also expressed a desire for BMR to make suspension parts for BMWs. It was an enlightening comment. There seems to be a market.

Tom

Thank you for all of the kind words, Tom. It truly means a lot.

I would love to explore other markets, but, it's just not feasible at this time. Our hands are so full with the S197 segment, it's insane. We still have a bunch of parts slated to be released this year for the S197, too. Then it is on to developing for the S550. :rockon:

Enjoy the car. If you ever need anything, you know where I am.

Brute

Established Member

I've had mine up at the Willow tracks before and it's pretty solid. Would love getting my hands on the Griggs gear for a better all around package. :rockon:

Hey 03 DSG, I am from San Diego. How about you?

SD_Stang

Established Member

Hey there DSG I actually met up with Tom to experience his car first hand and it's all he said it was. The great thing about it also is how quiet the whole package was Van had mentioned the Torque Arm would generate some noise but really the only thing I heard was a slight creak from the roll bar and the Whine of the Supercharger. The Rear end is not tail happy what so ever with the Torque Arm even under RPM's that will break the tires loose it simply moves forward until it grabs no fishtailing. I would have expected the Poly motor mounts and a-arms with the heim joints in the rear to be a little squeak/clicky but I it was rather quite to say the least. I think it was in the high 40's low 50's that night and the car had great grip everywhere.

I'm certainly sold on it and will be purchasing my Super Street package in May.

BMR Tech

SD_Stang, I am glad to hear that. You would not believe the number of people that claim that our K-Member makes the car feel like it's falling apart.

Tom definitely has an awesome combination, that is certain.

Hendo741

Established Member
Hey Brute,

Can I ask what the first set up was? I am contemplating a few set ups as well and the griggs is quite expensive...

Also, how does the griggs kit perform when not lowered that much? Just trying to get some info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread