Valve springs

SlowSVT

Established Member
The seat pressure on the factory Terminator springs is about 65 lbs. The area on the back side of a seated valve is a little over 1 sq in. Subtract 17-18 lbs off the seat pressure, factor in used springs that have fatigued somewhat and you get the picture.

I wasted a set of very expensive heads (guides and seats) from over revving the engine floating the valves :nonono: I would say getting new spring with higher seat pressure is a good investment. Something on the order of around 100 lbs would be a good target.

Haven't heard of factory ratainers failing but powdered metal in that place makes me nervous. Consider steel retainers.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
springs

The seat pressure on the factory Terminator springs is about 65 lbs. The area on the back side of a seated valve is a little over 1 sq in. Subtract 17-18 lbs off the seat pressure, factor in used springs that have fatigued somewhat and you get the picture.

I wasted a set of very expensive heads (guides and seats) from over revving the engine floating the valves :nonono: I would say getting new spring with higher seat pressure is a good investment. Something on the order of around 100 lbs would be a good target.

Haven't heard of factory ratainers failing but powdered metal in that place makes me nervous. Consider steel retainers.

i really dont see why people over rev cobras, its very bad all the way around

SlowSVT

Established Member
i really dont see why people over rev cobras, its very bad all the way around

Agree

On a long stroke engine like our mod motors over revving can harmful. I wasted those heads on just one extended high speed run :cuss:.......and that was running stiff springs.

But it's best to have the valve spring on the occation when you do.

Users who are viewing this thread