valve cover breather???

darknight01

Established Member
does anyone know where i can get the valve cover breather for the passenger side(replaces the oil line that runs to the intake) on the 03 cobra motor??? i see people with them but ive looked everywhere and dont where to get one.. any help would be great

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We sell a true breather kit which includes a remote mounted tank with filter, they are $129 :

MMR%20breather%20kit.jpg

Info:

This complete kit allows you to vent the valve cover/crank case pressure to the atmosphere, This prevents your turbocharger or supercharger inlet tube from sucking oil out of the engine and burning it which causes smoking, oil leaks, Detonation and poor performance. Kit includes all lines and fittings to attach to factory valve cover. Breather tank includes filter and mounting bracket and can be mounted in any location including the fenderwell and includes easy drain fitting.

You can order here: http://modularmustangracing.com.tempwebsite.net/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=440&cid=1

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The problem with the push in style is that the valve covers are not properly baffled for this type and they will drip oil onto the valve covers and onto the headers which is not only a fire hazard but smells bad too (this is why most people have socks wrapped around them like in the picture above). As with most mods there is a cheap way and a right way, performance isnt cheap but neither is catching your car on fire! Our car below actually uses 2 of these ( 1 per valve cover)

MMR%202010%20launch%20banner%20video.jpg

Tucker

For the everyday driver and weekend drag racer a breather on the passanger side will not fill up with oil.
The driver side is another story as it fills fast and you will get the oil smell/drip.

The best set up is a JLT Oil Separator on the driver side and a breather or JLT Pre filter on the passanger side.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The problem with the push in style is that the valve covers are not properly baffled for this type and they will drip oil onto the valve covers and onto the headers which is not only a fire hazard but smells bad too (this is why most people have socks wrapped around them like in the picture above). As with most mods there is a cheap way and a right way, performance isnt cheap but neither is catching your car on fire! Our car below actually uses 2 of these ( 1 per valve cover)

MMR%202010%20launch%20banner%20video.jpg
I never get oil residue on either sweatband that I wrap the breathers in, sure it gets discolored after a couple months with the vapor etc.. but I've yet to see actual oil like your describing and I run 7 quarts?

greengt88

Established Member
I run the jlt prefilter into a steeda oil seperator on the drivers side, I still get oil in the seperator, this has reduced dramatically since changing from tr6 to tr6ix spark plugs....some food for thought. I would like to get a 2nd prefilter for the pass. Side and eventuall upgrade to the jlt catchcan...looks way nicer than my over priced steeda one. And I won't have to empty it once a month either. Jlt makes top notch products, u won't be disappointed--side note I didn't get an svtperfomance discount on my pre-filter, didn't know it was available, is that a new policy?

metaman

Established Member
FYI, if you run a breather on just the passenger side you will be sucking unmetered air in through it when the motor is operating out of boost at low RPMs.

You will actually pull air through the breather, through the crank case, through the PCV, and into the back of the blower. Either hook up both sides or don't do either.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I run the jlt prefilter into a steeda oil seperator on the drivers side, I still get oil in the seperator, this has reduced dramatically since changing from tr6 to tr6ix spark plugs....some food for thought. I would like to get a 2nd prefilter for the pass. Side and eventuall upgrade to the jlt catchcan...looks way nicer than my over priced steeda one. And I won't have to empty it once a month either. Jlt makes top notch products, u won't be disappointed--side note I didn't get an svtperfomance discount on my pre-filter, didn't know it was available, is that a new policy?

I ran a custom can setup in front of the Steeda for testing and caught no more oil in the Steeda piece.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
On my turbo set up I ran one breather tank and ran both valve covers to it (tank very similar to this one http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/547/605-375-01/10002/-1). Seemed to work and never acturally collected any oil. The only time it collected oils is when I melted a piston and had tons of blow by.

Would this same set up work for the Eaton/TS If so I would just block off the line for the drivers side valve cover vacuum to Eaton intake port connection. Or what about two breathers such as these http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/68723/10002/-1 or http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/50188/10002/-1 Also what is 3/4" the push in size I need to get if I go the the push in breather route?

Just trying to get an idea of possible solutions I have seen a lot of oil seperators but if your not venting the air back into the intake system would these products above work just as good. I don't plan on venting the crankcase back into the intake system.

Any body see any problems with this? I am going to switch to a high boost intake and need to change up the crankcase vac set up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread