Value of my 1999 Cobra

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Care to divulge what you are looking at for a platform? Most likely it'd be cheaper to keep the car. Your mods are extensive and you have driven the car hard, so you need the right buyer, ie it will be a while before you will sell it.

cobraracer46

Banned
A mustang set up with a SLA front suspension and 315/35/17 tires all around would probably help in banishing any thoughts about purchasing a Z06, but if it were me, I would just keep the car and save my self an ass ripping that would follow the sale of a heavily modded and deprecating car not to mention of all the mod money that will up in smoke as well.:eek:

Good luck trying to sell your 99 Cobra for 15K! If the shitty market value for the new edge cobra fails to piss you off, then all of the buyers ready to sucker punch you and low ball you most certainly will.

when I read about stories like yours, it makes me feel good that when it comes to my Cobra, my motto is: upgrade, don't trade!:dancenana::banana:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
A mustang set up with a SLA front suspension and 315/35/17 tires all around would probably help in banishing any thoughts about purchasing a Z06, but if it were me, I would just keep the car and save my self an ass ripping that would follow the sale of a heavily modded and deprecating car not to mention of all the mod money that will up in smoke as well.:eek:

Good luck trying to sell your 99 Cobra for 15K! If the shitty market value for the new edge cobra fails to piss you off, then all of the buyers ready to sucker punch you and low ball you most certainly will.

when I read about stories like yours, it makes me feel good that when it comes to my Cobra, my motto is: upgrade, don't trade!:dancenana::banana:

I'm pretty sure the OP would run circles around you with his current setup bcause he actually has track time, experience, and knows what the **** he is talking about. Next, the market isn't as bad as people say, especially in this case. Anytime you sell a car like this, it will take a while to sell. Kelly Blue Book doesn't exactly have a section for modified cars. This car would not be bought by some punk kid who wants a cool car. It will be bought by a guy who wants to track it. He can get 15k for it, it will just take some patience. When I read your posts it make me feel good cause I'm not an idiot. It does make me wish you drove a Chevy though.

cobraracer46

Banned
I Next, the market isn't as bad as people say, especially in this case. Anytime you sell a car like this, it will take a while to sell. Kelly Blue Book doesn't exactly have a section for modified cars.

Listen up you Ice cream sucking Texan,:lol: Go take a look at how New edge 99-01 Cobras sell on Ebay and the Ford specific forums like SVTP, Corral and you will see that these cars, no matter what the condition or level of modification are NOT selling at top dollar if these 99-01 Cobras even sell at all.:poke:

No way in hell would I drive a Chevrolet because My 01 Cobra is a keeper, but I would not mind adding a 2010 GT500 to my collection, of course I'll wait till the Market for those cars are in the shitter before I buy one!:dancenana::fart::rockon:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Cobraracer --

That front suspension setup and tires will just get you on par with a bone stock Z06. Just so you know.

I think my record shows that I have never been afraid to spend money on this car in pursuit of speed, handling, and fun. It is time to move on. I have been in Mustangs for the past 21 years, I am not leaving the scene, just looking at getting a better tool for the toolbox.

Edit: reworded that before someone did it for me....;)

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Listen up you Ice cream sucking Texan,:lol: Go take a look at how New edge 99-01 Cobras sell on Ebay and the Ford specific forums like SVTP, Corral and you will see that these cars, no matter what the condition or level of modification are NOT selling at top dollar if these 99-01 Cobras even sell at all.:poke:

No way in hell would I drive a Chevrolet because My 01 Cobra is a keeper, but I would not mind adding a 2010 GT500 to my collection, of course I'll wait till the Market for those cars are in the shitter before I buy one!:dancenana::fart::rockon:

Yea, those cars have a CAI, a shifter, and exhaust. Not the extensive mods that this car has. This car isn't set up as a fun street car, though it could be driven on the street. I will give you something, this is probbly the firt thread where you coming in and recommending crazy exspensive race type mods is appropriate, though I dissagree with your choice of tire size. If you would read my post, I said it needs the right buyer. It will be someone who is similar to the OP. That is, someone who is most likely already into OT, but wants to upgrade. Well, here is a clean, well built, adult driven, low mileage car with the appropriate mods. There are not alot of those buyers out there. If I was that buyer(sorry Kevin, but I'm not), I'd pay 15k. But I'd probably offer 12 or 13 just to see what he'd do :) But, I'm so tired of modding right now that it would be nice to enjoy a car without having to wrench for a while.

brkntrxn

Established Member
/Close thread

I appreciate everyone's input. The car is posted For Sale in The Market. We'll see what happens and how long it takes.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member

Yepper...lightweight handling machine. C5 or C6?? Either would be commendable upgrade from a New Edge Cobra. At least you're not getting a Terminator...that really is the Dark Side.

Agree with both cobraracer46 AND olgreydog7. How could that possibly happen??

Per cobraracer46 - running the Agent 47/Griggs SLA and some other suspension mods would just make your New Edge about the best handling Cobra short of a S197 based platform. I'd wager you'd really appreciate the upgrade. And by the way, who says cobraracer46 doesn't have tons of track experience...and just doesn't brag about it? He's got the through-frame sub-frames and that's some serious work right there. Why else would you do it?

Per olgreydog7 - you spent a lot of time building a real mean New Edge track machine and I got to believe there's O/T'ers that would appreciate it to the tune of $14K to $15K. Damn motor's now built and bullet-proof for O/T. Someone could still throw on a low-boost blower and get decent HP. It's a lighter Terminator.

DAMN...6 minutes too late. Good luck with the sale!!!

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
FYI --The car sold today for $12,000 with the stock hood and stock rims. I bought a new set of seatbelts for the owner, but did not reinstall anything. He drove away from my house today in the pouring rain.... something the car hasn't seen in longer than I can remember. I may have gotten more for the car if I held out, but I am comfortable with that price and the relatively quick sale in this market. I sold it to a guy that has never owned a Cobra, never owned a Mustang. I truly hope he will enjoy the car.

It will be missed. But, it was the right decision. This past weekend I took the 03 Z06 to CMP for three days at their 2.1 mile, 14 turn road course. On the original 6 year old tires and a set of PFC 99 brake pads, I ran a 1:49 in traffic. That is a full two seconds faster than I ever ran the 99 on race rubber and in no traffic.

Last night I took the 99 for a last spin and just could not help myself from comparing it to the Z06. Simply put, there is no comparison. I know that I needed to spend another 5-7k on the 99 to get it to just barely get to the level of the bone stock 02-04 Z06s. After pouring close to $50k through the 99 over the past 5 years, I just got to the point about a month ago that I was not going to spend any more money on it at all.

The Z06 is just a better tool for my hobby (road course lapping and time trials). End of story.

We still have the 01 vert and will continue to own it for many years to come. With the top down, it is still a joy to drive.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats I can see where you are coming from as far as spending or putting money into that Iam trying to sell mine and get into a 03-04 cobra forged internals cheaper then a new edge to make fast and would like to get one modded and run 11's or get it there with some mods. I will always love the new edges seeing as its the first cobra ive owned.

Users who are viewing this thread