Value of 2003 Cobra ??

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Long post, sorry. A couple evenings ago, I stopped by a dealer to lurk through the lot for new Mustangs. I saw a 2011 GT500 ... ON THE LOT! This was shocking in and of itself and when I went back today(yesterday for most of you), they'd moved it inside. I inquired and they told me it had been delivered late and needed a bath before seeing the showroom floor. For a car stickered at just over $51,000.00, I couldn't believe my eyes. They also had a single 2011 GT on the lot and are keeping it there.

So I went over the lot, looking mostly at trucks(they had at least 100) and spotted a 2006 PS F350 supercab longbed 4X4, which I kinda need and then, as I went for a closer look, I spotted the point of my question inside the building...

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra... It's C L E A N!!! As Johnny Bench used to say, No runs, No drips, No errors... They asked $22,000 for it and it has about 26K on the clock. So I'm wondering about what it's worth. I'd just look it up, but this one isn't stock. It has a 2.76(as I recall) pulley and is lowered(correctly), apparently done by STEEDA, as there's a sticker across the W/S. Otherwise, the car has a 3 gauge pod on the A-pillar and I think I noticed an aftermarket shifter. This car is immaculate, as one might expect sitting on a showroom floor and all... But what's it REALLY worth?

In stock form, I did look it up, and found the value to be just under 21K. Does anyone think I could offer between 15 and 18K and drive this car home? I mean, anything's possible in this wonderful economy, right? They told me the car was traded for a new 2011 GT500 and actually, I believe them.

Finally, is there any specific points I should be looking for regarding excessive abuse(it's a Cobra, abuse happens) or wear and tear? Upon initial inspection, I found nothing out of the ordinary, but I cannot get underneath because it's sitting very low and on their showroom. If there's any trouble spots, I'll tell them to put it on a lift so I can take a closer look. I appreciate any insight here as this is one version I've never owned. It was so appealing, I may just pass on the truck(new or used) and pick up this money pit instead. ;-)

mrose75

Established Member
First off, go here: http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092317 and read it through and through. Then, the banner across the window means nothing other than a banner across the window. He could have had Steeda valve stem caps and thrown that banner on there. I'd say check it out after reading the FAQs and if everything checks out, snatch it up. 26K miles isn't too bad at all. The question is, how hard were those 26K miles? Was it pampered or beat all to hell? If it was a trade, maybe you can find the owner and ask him. Either way, if you're serious about buying it the dealer should let you have a mechanic check it out or run some tests, showroom or not. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

gatty1303

Established Member
bought my 03 SB in 2008 with 18,xxx miles for just under 21,000, with the same mods listed from a dealer and mine was extremely clean as well...just for comparison

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
YGOSLO: I'll read through that over the next couple days... Gotta hit the sack soon as I work all night tomorrow. Looks like great information though, so I'll check it, thanks. One other thing I'll definitely do is ask for the carfax report to be more convinced it was never crashed. Also, there's no doubt they'll put it on a lift before I buy it, but I don't know specifics to look for regarding damage or outright abuse(never had an IRS Mustang). I am familiar with Mustangs though, so it won't be all bad, particularly after I read the info.

I agree the sticker could be meaningless. It will also be GONE if I buy the car. Nothing against STEEDA, but I don't want that advertisement on my ride. On that note, I did see a "$10,000 SAVINGS" sticker across the W/S of one truck... I kinda liked that one! LOL

bought my 03 SB in 2008 with 18,xxx miles for just under 21,000, with the same mods listed from a dealer and mine was extremely clean as well...just for comparison
Ahh... Good then. Now I can easily believe I have room to work here. Less miles, 2yrs newer... Yeah, I can use that info too! Thanks. When the F350 priced for less, I felt there HAD to be room on the Cobra. After all, the 350 cost about 10K more new and is newer and is a 4X4, etc. I was already thinking 18K would be a high side for me and now I think so even more. :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I truly hope you get the car for what you want to pay. Be very sure to check it out carefully. This info on my website will help you do this. .. Things To Look For When Buying A Used Terminator

Also, be aware that some dealers will stick more to their sticker price than others. Those that don't budge (or don't budge much) are hedging on getting their price sooner than later. Depending on the region, some dealers tend to lower their price as the winter season approaches because cars like this don't sell as well in the "off season". There are exceptions, of course, like Florida or other states where the Cobra can pretty much be driven year round.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
I think a dude on here traded it in. He traded it in on a new GT 500. Could be a coincidence, but it was like a week ago I read a thread, and it was a Sonic blue car. Go a couple pages deep and you might find it.

His name is Sonic 03 Cobra.

The thread was titled "Sold Cobra...looking to sell some Parts", in the talk section.

Seems like he liked and took care of the car. They probably gave him $15-$18 for it, just cause they made so much money off of him with the new Gt500. If you want it, slap 'em at $17k.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread