vacuum hose leak/fuel smell

secretz

Whipple donator wanted
Established Member
I've got a 98 cobra that's recently got a leak somewhere in the vacuum hose. There's a massive smell of fuel when it's running. Not to mention, the whole inside of the car reeks of fuel if left over night.

I've been looking for semi-easy solutions as to trying to remedy this issue. Is the vacuum hose through the firewall the first thing to usually go or some other part? This car is still stock...so no, turbo/supercharger.

The car has recently passed smog, so dunno if it'd be the O2 sensors. MAF & K&N have been recently cleaned, too. The heater works fine (tho haven't tried the AC yet since it's been cold lately).

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I've got a 98 cobra that's recently got a leak somewhere in the vacuum hose.
How do you know this?

There's a massive smell of fuel when it's running. Not to mention, the whole inside of the car reeks of fuel if left over night.
Sounds to me like the hose between the gas cap and the gas tank has cracked.

I've been looking for semi-easy solutions as to trying to remedy this issue. Is the vacuum hose through the firewall the first thing to usually go or some other part? This car is still stock...so no, turbo/supercharger.
The fastest and easiest way to find a leak is with a smoke machine. Find a shop with one, and in 5 minutes you will know where it is.

The car has recently passed smog, so dunno if it'd be the O2 sensors. MAF & K&N have been recently cleaned, too. The heater works fine (tho haven't tried the AC yet since it's been cold lately).
Probably not the O2 sensors.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Could check the o-rings on your injectors if you don't find any obvious vacuum or fuel leaks. If one of those is perished you could wind up with both a vacuum and fuel leak.

CzchMex

Established Member
Check the o-rings on your fuel rails as well. I had the same issue and both my o-rings from the fuel lines to my fuel rails were shot.

$1.26 for the fix :rockon:

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
There is a hose from the fuel evap cannister in the passenger wheelwell that goes to a soleniod and then connects to the back of the intake. If there is a problem with the hose you would get a fuel smell but you would also throw an odb code because the solenoid can't pull vacuum.

That did happen to me and I replaced the visible part of the hose. That didn't solve it and I ended up replacing the entire hose from the evap can to the solenoid. The part of the hose in the wheelwell was soaked in fuel and pretty much done.

Hard to tell if this is your situation.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread