v-2 SQ Trim Qs for 96 Cobra

SvtKobra96

Vettemeister
Established Member
Thanx for the info. Vortech says that the kit is made for an "all-stock" engine. SO my Qs to you is why would it detonate? And how much extra will I have to spend other than the kit and install? Thanx (just so you know. Im getting the aftercooled kit)

Last edited:

96cobratang

Established Member
419 rwhp is what I really got. ;-) I got a shop to custom tune the car. I also have 42lb injectors, no fmu, and a new maf for the 42's. I heard it was better to get bigger injectors without the fmu so the stock injectors don't have to work so hard.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SvtKobra96
Also, you said FMU's are bad? school me on this

They aren't necessarily "bad" but they aren't very efficent. It's better to go with bigger injectors, calibrated MAF and a good tune, like Tang mentioned.

J's98Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by SvtKobra96
Thanx for the info. Vortech says that the kit is made for an "all-stock" engine. SO my Qs to you is why would it detonate? And how much extra will I have to spend other than the kit and install? Thanx (just so you know. Im getting the aftercooled kit)

With 10 psi and n/a timing running off the stock n/a tune, you would deff be lean. Lean air/fuel= hot, too hot and you'll melt spark plugs, burn a hole in your head or trash your pistons ect..
The more boost you push the more fuel and less timing you'll need. Bottom line get a dyno tune or get a mail order chip from a reputable company like JMS. The better your tune the more power you'll malke and the longer your engine will last.:rockon:

Like everyone else said about FMU's, get bigger injectors (#42) and a new MAF calibrated for the #42's and you don't have to worry as long as you have a good tune.

96cobratang

Established Member
It's non-aftercooled. You shouldn't need it when running 8lbs or less. I'm not sure about 10lbs. I usually max out at around 8lbs of boost. As far as kills, mustangs, camaro's, trans am's, and you can't forget imports.:-D Here's a list of my mods: I can't wait for the 4.56 gears.
Off-road h-pipe
Flowmaster cat-back
Vortech v1 s-trim
power pipe
42 lb injectors
MAF
255 in-tank, 255 in-line fuel pumps
custom tune (highly recommended)

The hardest part is taking it easy until you get it tuned.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by J's98Snake
SvtKobra96-
I did my own install, but you still need a tune/chip or you'll detonate with 10 psi.

BTW my mods are:

-9.05:1 compression, forged internals
-stock ported heads
-LMAF w/ 42# injectors/ 255 intank and 255 inline pump
-BBK long tubes with o/r H-pipe and flows
-V-1 strim with 3.12 pulley AFM power pipe

My rwhp #'s are at 5928 rpms (10 psi) on a mustang dyno. I still have stock cams, intake, ignition system and displacement.

Let me know if you have any Q's.

Why is your peak HP at 59XX RMPS? How high are you taking it?

And as far your mods go versus his. Lets start by thinking about the knowledge level you would assume someone, that asks how much HP they will have per mod, has. If he was knowledgable enough to know what the HP difference a set of ported heads and LT headers would make, more than likely he would already know the answer to how much HP he will make with an aftercooled setup. So being that he asked the question I would assume that he wouldn't know that a set of ported heads would give you at least 20- 30 RWHP and the same numbers for LT headers on a boosted application. So with you providing your stats without explaining that these mods would effect the numbers(around 50 RWHP) substantially helps him in no way. He even concurred in his later post.

J's98Snake

Established Member
My fuel psi drops like a rock between 5-6K. I think it was 5928 rpms and then she started to drop. I'm not sure where the problem is. I have Walbro pumps 255 intank and 255 inline and have replaced them both thinking they were faulty. The shop who built my motor and does the tuning is at a loss, so am I. Next weekend I'm putting a complete aeromotive fuel system: tank, lines, pump, filter, regulator, rails ect.. Aeromotive claims this set-up is good for 660 supercharged rwhp on a dynojet. I've got a KB boost-a-pump on the shelf just in case. I'm making over 500 rwhp on a dyno jet under 6000 rpm, my cars a beast.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by J's98Snake
Booyah-

What was you set-up on you SC Cobra?

Pretty much the same as yours actually minus having a cooler. After popping a piston swapped in some forged GT pistons and Manley rods, rings etc. Mildly ported the heads. Never went with LT's because I was working on a custom turbo system then decided to let her go to a generous offer.

This time I'm going with a single turbo system, more than likely from Pro-turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread